Decorating Basics Question

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 26 Jul 2005 , 2:09pm by ntertayneme

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 11

Ok I can get the buttercream and royal roses perfectly. They were easy, but my problem is the leaves. I cannot for the life of me get my leaves to come to a point. They always make two separate points. I've practiced and practiced, but they never get any better. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks!
Misdawn

10 replies
Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

Ok I can get the buttercream and royal roses perfectly. They were easy, but my problem is the leaves. I cannot for the life of me get my leaves to come to a point. They always make two separate points. I've practiced and practiced, but they never get any better. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks!
Misdawn

Hi Misdawn,

That will happen if your tip opening is too closed or pinched. Wilton sells a "tip saver"
Its basically a pointy piece of plactic you wedge into your tip to open it up.
You can pretty much use any clean plastic househould object, that its that kind of shape to get the job done.
Occassionly I will use a spoon or butterknife to quickly wedge the tip shape open, but beware!... this can damage and actually ruin your tip.

Misdawn Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 11

How do I know if it's opened up far enough?

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

How do I know if it's opened up far enough?

After a while you will be able to just "eye" it and tell.

The easiest way, so you don't over do it, so to open it a little bit, then squeeze out a leaf onto a paper towel, and if its still seperating, wedge it open a bit more.... then just keep doing that til you get it right.

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 11

which tip are you using? I know that during the Wilton course 2, the kit came with a leaf tip that never gave me a pointed leaf, so our instructor told us to use the 352 tip, which I now use for all leaves because it always comes out pointy.

Misdawn Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 11

I don't know what tip# it is without going home to look. I think I'll try opening up the tip a little and if that doesn't work I'll try the other tip. Thanks you guys for your help!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 11

There's a tip everyone called the cheater tip because they always came out pointy. I'll have to check the # and get back to you. It might be the 352 that aupekkle talked about!

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 11:11pm
post #8 of 11

Hey there one thing I believe If I remember right my instructor did way back when was she took the flower nail with the pointy end and kind of poked in in to open the tip. But I personally have just used a butterknife and it works just as good. My motto is if you can use what you got then you don't need to buy the little fancy gadgets

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 11

I can't seem to make them either...my instructor told me I needed to add more piping gel...how much do you need?
thanks

cake4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4you Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 11

Like one of the posters already said, it the course 2 kit, it came with leaf tip 67, which never gave me a point on my leaves without me pinching the 2 "ends" together with my fingers, now all I use is tip 352 for leaves, and I never add piping gel to make my leaves.....I also use tip 352 to make my lilies, tip 67 again was not coming to a nice point for me.....

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 2:09pm
post #11 of 11

I only use the 352 tip now .. I had the same problem with the 67 tip not coming to a point correctly and having to pinch the ends of it.. I've never had that problem with 352 tip at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%