Please Help Me Find A Crusting Buttercream!

Decorating By eieio1234 Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 2:29pm by eieio1234

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 32

I need a BUTTERcream (not based in shortening only) that will crust. I've always worked w/crusting ones and nothing crusts for me with the new crisco. The cake order I have for this weekend really needs to have a crusting icing on it for my design idea to work. The recipe I usually use is very similar to buttercream dream, with a flavor difference,and it does not crust. I know some people say it does for them, it will not for me. icon_cry.gif I figured maybe it needed more time, last weekeneds cake sat out for over 2 hours, did not crust. It was refrigerated overnight, did not crust. I do use milk in mine and would prefer it to stay, but if switching to water will crust it than I'll do it. Right now I do not have hi ratio, but will be buying it soon..

31 replies
eieio1234 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 32

Anyone? Anyone?? icon_smile.gif

barbydoll8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbydoll8 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 32

I've always understood that it is the egg whites/Meringue powder that makes BC crust over well. If you aren't putting any in, try that or increase the amount a tad.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 32

have you tried the regular ol plain ol american style buttercream?
The ratio of sugar to fat is what makes it crust not necessarily meringue powder.
Here is the formula (not recipe) I always use for my buttercream and it crusts just dandy..... (is by weight though)
2 parts powdered sugar to 1 part fat (butter, crisco, whatever) 1 tbl flavorings (vanilla, butter, etc, what ever flavor you want) to every lb. of fat.
and 1/4 cup water, milk, half n half or whatever liquid you are using for every lb. of fat.
soooo.... for example for a bag of sugar which is 2 lbs.
you would do 2 lbs of sugar 1 lbs of fat, 1 tbl of flavoring and 1/4 cup liquid (i use milk all the time)
I cream the fat and flavoring together, add all the sugar then add the milk starting at the given amount and adding or not depending on the consistency I want.
Notice that there isn't any meringue powder in my formula. I could add it if I wanted it to crust faster and be more opaque.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 32

I use a recipe that calls for half butter half shortening and it always crusts. I also use milk, whole milk, tried with 2% because thats what we use at home but it didn't seem to work as well. As far as meringue powder I did try it once with buttercream and I didn't care for the taste, I only use it for royal icing.

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 32

Here is how I make my buttercream - and it crusts - and it tastes pretty good. I am also getting the same results withthe new crisco...

1 1/2 cup crisco
1 1/2 cup butter (salted)
3 lbs sifted pow. sugar
6 - 9 tbs of liquid - (I mix equil parts water and any flavor coffee mate that you want)

I blend it all in my KA mixer. I just made some with Vanilla Caramel coffee mate and I was told it was the best icing the person ever had....go figure.

This crusts very well for me.

Good luck.

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 32

Thanks for the info

eieio1234 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbydoll8

I've always understood that it is the egg whites/Meringue powder that makes BC crust over well. If you aren't putting any in, try that or increase the amount a tad.

I've never used it and it always crusted before Crisco changed.... I may have to add some now that crisco is different. I just don't really like the taste of meringue...

eieio1234 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

have you tried the regular ol plain ol american style buttercream?
soooo.... for example for a bag of sugar which is 2 lbs.
you would do 2 lbs of sugar 1 lbs of fat, 1 tbl of flavoring and 1/4 cup liquid (i use milk all the time)

That's almost the exact recipe I use and it does not crust!! I don't get why this is happening at ALL! That has happened to me for months since crisco changed... before it changed it crusted.

I actually was just cleaning out decorating bags from this weekends cake and the ends exposed to air were just barely crusted, barely, and they've been exposed to air for 4 days!! Cry Cry Cry!! icon_cry.gif

eieio1234 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biya

I use a recipe that calls for half butter half shortening and it always crusts. I also use milk, whole milk, tried with 2% because thats what we use at home but it didn't seem to work as well. As far as meringue powder I did try it once with buttercream and I didn't care for the taste, I only use it for royal icing.

I don't like the taste of meringue either. That's interesting about the milk though... I always use 2%. I used to use whipping cream or heavy cream but havne't had it on hand so have been using the 2%.... I wonder if that could be a solution, up the fat in the liquid.....

eieio1234 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:14pm
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

Here is how I make my buttercream - and it crusts - and it tastes pretty good. I am also getting the same results withthe new crisco...

1 1/2 cup crisco
1 1/2 cup butter (salted)
3 lbs sifted pow. sugar
6 - 9 tbs of liquid - (I mix equil parts water and any flavor coffee mate that you want)

I blend it all in my KA mixer. I just made some with Vanilla Caramel coffee mate and I was told it was the best icing the person ever had....go figure.

This crusts very well for me.

Good luck.

That's a very similar recipe as well.... I guess I will change the liquid and see if that helps me... I haven't used coffee mate in icing in a while, and never used that flavor, It sounds great!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:25pm
post #12 of 32

I read in other post that people have switched to store brand shortening and are having much better luck with their BC so you might give that a try.

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:36pm
post #13 of 32

My Wilton teacher said that the crusting is directly related to the ratio of powder sugar to the crisco. I have a friend that always has a harder crust to her cakes and she just does it from pretty much sight, no measuring. So maybe try a little extra sugar to your recipe with the new crisco because I do find the thicker my icing the better chance I have of it crusting well.

eieio1234 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:50pm
post #14 of 32

I switched to store brand shortening, with 0 trans fats, and the icing isn't the same, it's greasier. It has an oily sheen to it and leaves oil staining on things icon_sad.gif

That's a good point, about the sugar ratio..... Maybe I'll try using it thicker..

SLK Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 12:00am
post #15 of 32

Have you ever tried putting the cake in the fridge for 20 minutes after it's iced? That also helps with crusting.

eieio1234 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 12:24am
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

Have you ever tried putting the cake in the fridge for 20 minutes after it's iced? That also helps with crusting.

You know, last weekend's cake was a princess, using a wonder mold for her dress... well it was to be picked up Saturday and the customer called and said they were sick and were going to get it Sunday instead. I put it in the fridge. The next day, about 20 hours later I took it out and saw some of my dots on the dress still had little 'tails' on them so I went to tap them to get rid of it, it was still sticky!! The icing came off on my finger!! 20 hours later!! Something really screwy is going on in my house!!

SLK Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 3:09am
post #17 of 32

yes, something is screwy.....sorry to hear that. My icing is usually very hard after being in the fridge overnight.

I've given you all I've got...Good luck on your crusting bc quest.

eieio1234 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 2:43pm
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

yes, something is screwy.....sorry to hear that. My icing is usually very hard after being in the fridge overnight.

Well you certainly tried your hardest!!!! Thank you all so much! I had a cake order picked up this morning, and this one, with my normal recipe, crusted perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!! It boggles my mind, it hasn't crusted in weeks! My thought was I used to buy butter from the supermarket but lately I've been buying butters in bulk at Sam's club, and this time I went back to my normal store bought brand and it crusted.... I wonder if that specific butter at Sams has a different fat or water content or something! I don't know but I'm glad it worked this time!!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:04pm
post #19 of 32

Very interesting....glad to hear it worked for you!

SLK Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 6:57pm
post #20 of 32

yeah!!!! Congrats on the crust!

It's amazing how you can do the same thing over and over and all of the sudden get different results.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 7:16pm
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

Well you certainly tried your hardest!!!! Thank you all so much! I had a cake order picked up this morning, and this one, with my normal recipe, crusted perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!! It boggles my mind, it hasn't crusted in weeks! My thought was I used to buy butter from the supermarket but lately I've been buying butters in bulk at Sam's club, and this time I went back to my normal store bought brand and it crusted.... I wonder if that specific butter at Sams has a different fat or water content or something! I don't know but I'm glad it worked this time!!

I've used different brands of butter and had this problem, also. Now I just buy the cheapest no-color butter I can find at Walmart. Also, I don't use Crisco any more except for in the baked item itself (if it calls for it!! or to use it to grease my pan. (Just about done using up the Crisco!)

I ordered high-ratio Sweetex off the internet & purchased some. LOVE IT!!! I called Yolk's Fresh Market, our high-end grocery, and they are going to sell me some from their bakery! I'll never go back to Crisco for my icing again.

I use the Buttercream Dream recipe right here on CC if I don't want to refrigerate the cake OR have dairy allergy, and the Whipped Cream Buttercream frosting its going to be ate up right away and no allergy. I use Sweetex for both and 10X powdered sugar. I use the Viva method for smoothing on both. Frosting is delicous, smooths like a piece of paper with mouth feel of softness like Cool Whip. I've had more favorable reviews with this than my old frosting recipe.

Mind you, after Crisco Crap came out, I could never get it smooth and colors ran, the frosting would slide right off the cake. Crisco was disasterous!

HTH

eieio1234 Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 7:48pm
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

I ordered high-ratio Sweetex off the internet & purchased some. LOVE IT!!! I called Yolk's Fresh Market, our high-end grocery, and they are going to sell me some from their bakery! I'll never go back to Crisco for my icing again.

I use the Buttercream Dream recipe right here on CC if I don't want to refrigerate the cake OR have dairy allergy, and the Whipped Cream Buttercream frosting its going to be ate up right away and no allergy. I use Sweetex for both and 10X powdered sugar. I use the Viva method for smoothing on both. Frosting is delicous, smooths like a piece of paper with mouth feel of softness like Cool Whip. I've had more favorable reviews with this than my old frosting recipe.

Mind you, after Crisco Crap came out, I could never get it smooth and colors ran, the frosting would slide right off the cake. Crisco was disasterous!

HTH

I've been wanting to try hi ratio for so long!! It's just so expensive for me. No one within driving distance sells it by me. To order it from the internet the cheapest shipping Ive found is $7 for a 3 pound container. So you end up paying double with that high of shipping.... I so want to try it though!! I was just going to order a small amt just to try but I'm thinking what if I love it, I'd have to raise my prices to justify paying that much for the shortening. I'd hate to do that.... I do have an application in with CK products.... they haven't gotten back to me yet but I so hope I get approved, if I do and can get hi ratio cheaper, then paying high shipping wouldn't be too bad.

Doesn't BCD have milk in it?? Do you subsititute it for something to keep it dairy free???

GI Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 7:55pm
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio1234

I've been wanting to try hi ratio for so long!! It's just so expensive for me. No one within driving distance sells it by me. To order it from the internet the cheapest shipping Ive found is $7 for a 3 pound container. So you end up paying double with that high of shipping.... I so want to try it though!! I was just going to order a small amt just to try but I'm thinking what if I love it, I'd have to raise my prices to justify paying that much for the shortening. I'd hate to do that.... I do have an application in with CK products.... they haven't gotten back to me yet but I so hope I get approved, if I do and can get hi ratio cheaper, then paying high shipping wouldn't be too bad.

Doesn't BCD have milk in it?? Do you subsititute it for something to keep it dairy free???

Go to recipe and type in buttercream dream. (I have never figured out how to post the link.) Here are the ingred: stick butter (unsalted)
1 stick butter (salted)
1 cup shortening
2lb bag of confectioner's sugar
3 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
5-6 tablespoons of milk (cold)

I subbed WARM WATER for the milk on dairy allergy cake, and the icing was yummy. I put in all liquids & mixed it up really good before the sugar. Did the SugarShack method. I used Vanilla and Wedding Bouquet (See Sugarshack's linke on ordering the WB) and it was triple yummy!!! I have a gal at work who is my "frosting critic" and she's ruthless! She adored my BCD and also the WCBC frosting.

HTH!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 12:31am
post #24 of 32

I used hi ratio for the first time this week and I'll never go back to crisco. Is was the creamiest, smoothest icing I've ever made and no greasy taste (1/2 butter 1/2 hi ratio).

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 12:52am
post #25 of 32

Oh hun, I feel your pain! I have not had a decent crust since they switched formulas.

I guess I just don't use the right ratio of fat:sugar. I got my recipe 15 years ago from a cake shop lady and it always crusted. Until this Summer. It called for 4c. of fat to 8 c. sugar. This Summer, I cut it to 3 c. fat to 8 c. sugar and still not good!! I switched to store brand too and found it very soft and definitely greasier. this new crisco is killing me!!

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 1:41am
post #26 of 32

I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco. water, vanilla, confectioners sugar and of course meringue powder. I do not measure anything I just throw it in. I always get great reviews on my cakes, everyone loves the frosting. I have never had anyone complain that they didn't like the meringue ?? I always start with creaming butter, shortening, vanilla and a couple drops of water. Then I add sugar and meringue powder if it is to dry I just keep dropping in small amounts of water. My frosting always comes out crusting and I use viva paper towel technique to smooth.

scrappychic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrappychic Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 3:42am
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Go to recipe and type in buttercream dream. (I have never figured out how to post the link.) Here are the ingred: stick butter (unsalted)
1 stick butter (salted)
1 cup shortening

I subbed WARM WATER for the milk on dairy allergy cake, and the icing was yummy. I put in all liquids & mixed it up really good before the sugar. Did the SugarShack method. I used Vanilla and Wedding Bouquet (See Sugarshack's linke on ordering the WB) and it was triple yummy!!! I have a gal at work who is my "frosting critic" and she's ruthless! She adored my BCD and also the WCBC frosting.

HTH!

Thanks for this, will going to try it too... I'm having a hard time with the new crisco too. May I please know what is the Sugarshack Method?

GI Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:34am
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

1 stick butter (salted)
1 cup shortening

HTH!

Thanks for this, will going to try it too... I'm having a hard time with the new crisco too. May I please know what is the Sugarshack Method?

SUGARSACK method is AWESOME!!!!!! Oh how I wish I could figure out how to put in the links to this!! .... Okay, I'll give it a whirl:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-19948-0-days0-orderasc-.html

AAAACKK!! I think I just figured out how to post a link! Okay, if it didn't work, go to Cake Decorating Forum and search on My Buttercream Tips by Sugarshack. It's a long post to read, but READ IT!

I TOO, HAVE DONE THE SUGARSHACK CHA CHA icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 6:49am
post #29 of 32

I use the basic 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening - Wallymart veg shortening is what I have always used and it hasn't given me any trouble.

HTH icon_smile.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 2:53pm
post #30 of 32

I just made some buttercream over the weekend and used adven68, recipe, 3/4 butter, 1/4 crisco (I used the new crisco), and tsp vanilla, powdered sugar and 1/4 heavy cream, it was delicious and crusted with no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%