5,000 Deaths

Decorating By TPDC Updated 13 Nov 2006 , 8:23pm by 7yyrt

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:08am
post #1 of 15

I posted this in a different forum, but I wanted to make sure several of you saw it.

5,000 Deaths occur every year from food poisoning. 76 Million Hospitalizations occur every year. 38,000 hospitalizations occur everyday. That is just here in the US. That is just what is reported by the hospital. It does not include people that became ill and did not go to the hospital.

I wanted to post this because several people believe that the government is involved to much with our cake decorating business. With these numbers I can understand why the government has stepped in and said that a license (in most states) is required. So, for those of you that complain that you need to be licensed, just think how many lives you could be saving.

Just for a perspective on how many deaths that is;
September 11th had 2,973 fatalities.
Since the war in Iraq started in March 2003, 2,845 members of the U.S. military have died.

Please remember to thank the governement for protecting you and the people that you serve. Without them there would probably be even more deaths related to food borne illness.

I know I am probably not liked very much, but I received this information and I thought it was important to share. I understand not being able to afford a license, or reasons on not being licensed. I just posted it so when you think the government is involved to much with this business, you can understand why.

14 replies
Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:20am
post #2 of 15

i think this is an excellent post.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:28am
post #3 of 15

thanks for posting this, food poisoning is extremly serious

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:29am
post #4 of 15

It is a big number. I'm here if florida for the winter and all they have been talking about are the restaurants and all the fines they are getting for having such infected kitchens. They have roaches, dead rats and even maggets walking around. Is so hard to go out to these restaurants and the thought of eating the food, is not too appealing.

I understand completely, however, I think that there are bigger chances of someone getting food poisining from restaurant than from a cake baked at home. I think the volume you produce at home is so small in comparison to bakeries/restaurants. I think if a study was done you will see that is about 99% of the poisinings are from restaurants and not from a baked goods made at home.

TPDC Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:39am
post #5 of 15

I do not know about 99% I am sure the numbers at restaurants are higher because they can track them more and they have more people working there, but here in Minnesota, there have been 7 deaths so far. 2 of them were from potluck dishes. Maybe not a cake, but still the same thing as making the food at home.

It also depends on how much you bake. Several people make only a few, but some people make hundreds of cakes a year.

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:54am
post #6 of 15

Thank you TPDC!
I have been cooking and baking for over 30 years and NO BODY has ever become ill from anything I have made or served.
My friends and family call me the FOOD NERD because I am so picky about the way I handle food and serve it. After I show them this they may change my name. thumbs_up.gif

TPDC Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:58am
post #7 of 15

Several people really care about what they cook, bake and how they do it. I am glad that we have so many people here that REALLY handle food and wash their hands appropriatley. That is the difference between keeping people well or not.

Sherik. I am glad you are the Food Nerd. That is a good nickname to have in this industry. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 15

I think you made a terrific point!! I am also a picky person. Fanatical, in fact. Drives my hubby nuts!!! But you can never be "too careful"!! So don't worry if this is not a popular thing to be spoken about. The fact of the matter is that it is crucial to be on top of anything you cook/bake for anyone--even your own family! Thanks for the post!
Tanya

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 12:41am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuchy

It is a big number. I'm here if florida for the winter and all they have been talking about are the restaurants and all the fines they are getting for having such infected kitchens. They have roaches, dead rats and even maggets walking around. Is so hard to go out to these restaurants and the thought of eating the food, is not too appealing.

I understand completely, however, I think that there are bigger chances of someone getting food poisining from restaurant than from a cake baked at home. I think the volume you produce at home is so small in comparison to bakeries/restaurants. I think if a study was done you will see that is about 99% of the poisinings are from restaurants and not from a baked goods made at home.

when we eat out in a dirty restaurant we have recourses and resources to call.

Many restaurants that fail their Health inspections are CLOSED until things are taken care of and rectified.

You can imagine my charign when I read a WHOLE thread of HOME BAKERS with mice and vermin in their home.

If they were commercial establishments they would be CLOSED, until they took care of the problem. I would rather take my chances in a commercial establishment that has to adhere to some sort of rules and is regulated by the government by someone that bakes at home, with their pets, kids and bare feet running around!

I'm sorry if I'm pissing anyone off, but...that's ...just...MY prefrence..Thanks.

(doesn't mean I don't respect someone that is trying to earn a dollar by baking at home and I would NEVER call the authorities on ANYONE doing so!)

tazzack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazzack Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 12:49am
post #10 of 15

This is why I work from home ( no overhead expenses) but have built an entirley seperate kitchen. No one is allowed in it but me. I have a door with a lock on it just to make sure that my Cakery Bakery kitchen is always safe.
We all need to be VERY careful...people trust us to be careful.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 3:30am
post #11 of 15

Here's a link to a thread about sanitation:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-34335.html
Not the most entertaining of subjects, but most important...

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 4:41am
post #12 of 15

most people that become ill with food poisoning is actually from the home or a pot luck setting. ( I'm not saying it doesn't happen in restaurants also though.) I don't even like to eat at family get togethers because I like knowing how the food is prepared. Not to sound like a freak, but I'm known in my family for checking the internal temp. of poultry and other items. The items most people get food poisoned off of (usually at bbq's and pot lucks) is chicken and potato salad. Whenever I see these out somewhere I stear cleaer of them.

somerset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
somerset Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 5:43am
post #13 of 15

First of alll I would like to say hello everyone, I need your help can anyone tell me how I can take the bitterness out of my Icing ? icon_sad.gif It's not red and I know about the no taste-red. I have buttercream Icing that I colored purple for the background of a tinker bell cake. How can I for lack of a better word defuse that awful taste. Should I just chuck this batch and consider another color or is this the case with any dark color. I'm using wilton violet paste. SOS somebody, I need to do this cake for my daughters' get together on tomorrow. This is my first time making a all purple cake, never had this problem before with any other color. Welcome all suggestions. Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 6:18pm
post #14 of 15

You are all correct on your comments...There is no reason for anyone to get upset about what is being discuss, it is the reality of how important it is to be licensed.

I love this website because we can discuss issues that affect all of us. YEah, we all want to bake and sell from our homes, but is not like that in every state. For some people is just a fun thing to do and for others is a money making business. So if you are serious about it, and you have enough clients the best thing to do is rent out a place, and get licensed.

Good luck and much love!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 8:23pm
post #15 of 15

The official Food Code from the FDA - understandable; The 2005 Food Code is currently available in PDF only. http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fc05-toc.html
Lots of info on sanitation, food handling, surfaces, garbage handling, etc...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%