What's Your Favorite Way To Decorate Cupcakes?

Decorating By PennySue Updated 11 Nov 2006 , 10:50am by cakesbyamym

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 1:17am
post #1 of 12

I'm doing cupcakes for our holiday party at work. I'm wondering what your favorite ways to decorate are. Do you use a frosting bag to apply frosting or a spatula. What gives you the cleanest look?? Would love to know what y'all are going.

P.S. Can't get my signature to work but we are still waiting for our first Granbaby to arrive, then it's off to Colorado. 8 days and counting!!

11 replies
vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 2:25am
post #2 of 12

I love to do a swirl with tip 1M, in different colors of icing or just chocolate and vanilla and I add sprinkles to some of them. I also like using tips 2C and 2D.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 2:29am
post #3 of 12

Unless I have a special design to go on them I like to swirl icing on with a large star tip. You can add some kind of candy to decorate the cupcakes but it's a quick way to cover them and always looks nice.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 2:34am
post #4 of 12

hmmmm...my favorite....gosh...that would have to be filled with caramel cream and bakeshop icing then dipped in chocolate espresso ganache sprinkled with toasted almonds and drizzled with caramel cream

or after dipping in the chocolate espresso ganache, to sprinkle with mini pastel confetti.

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:30am
post #5 of 12

MMMMM..... all4cake, that sounds WONDERFUL!

gothgate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gothgate Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:59am
post #6 of 12

for quickie cupcakes that are more for eating than for show, i like to just frost with a quick swirl of a 1M tip. for a quick fancying that up i spray color and/or add jimmies/sprinkles. you can do dozens in a night that way.

my wife came home one evening and told me, "my class is having a halloween party, will you bake something" i said sure, when? "tomorrow" thus was born my quickie cupcake technique icon_smile.gif 48 black & orange color-sprayed cupcakes ready by bedtime.

CherylAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylAnn Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 7:37am
post #7 of 12

I read a recipe on baking the cupcakes in a flat bottom ice cream cone, filled about 1/2 full and then doing a swirl design to resemble a ice cream swirl... icon_smile.gif

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 7:48am
post #8 of 12

anyone ever make those ice cream cone cupcakes? I have tried twice now and they have not turned out. kind of flat and doughy, after leaving them in the oven forever!

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 7:49am
post #9 of 12

Oh, I forgot toanswer the question...

My favorite cupcakes I've made are on page 2 of my photo gallery, used the grass tip with fondant daisies on the top.

KelCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KelCake Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 8:06am
post #10 of 12

I like to pipe flowers directly on my cupcakes like sunflowers or pansies. It's pretty quick.

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 8:21am
post #11 of 12

oh I love cupcakes recently. I decorated about 50 for a fall fest and tried out a bunch of tips. I REALLY loved the effect from the grass tip-I did not pull out much, but short little squeezes. I was using white b/c. People commented on those the most.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 10:50am
post #12 of 12

Before icing my cupcakes (double swirls with 1M tip), I dip the bottoms in candy melts. That hard little shell is awesome on a cupcake, and these are actually my signature item! On the swirls, I'll add candy melts molded into whatever shape...hearts, doves, lips, whatever fits the occasion. I also added fondant leaves dusted with gold sparkle dust and baby pumpkins for Halloween for an order. Sprinkles and/or sanding dust are also a favorite way to finish my cc's off.

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%