21St Birthday!

Decorating By AmandaLeigh Updated 19 Sep 2007 , 3:34pm by AmandaLeigh

AmandaLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLeigh Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 22

Well, my 21st birthday is the 23rd of September. YaY! I am celebrating this day with my best friend whose birthday was last month. We didnt get to celebrate so we're doing so the 22nd. I want to make a alcohol themed cake. I was looking in the beer/wine/cigar gallery and saw some beautiful cakes...but not what I'm looking for. I have an idea that I need opinions on. I want to make rectangular cake and make it look like a beer pong table. I dont know how to make the cups or make it look like beer in the cups. I noticed alot of the cakes on here used buttercream but I want it to look foamier. Also, If I'm feeling spunky I want to make little people that look like my friend and I playing. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help in advance!! I only have the internet at work and if I stop by the library but I'll keep checking back as often as I can.

-Amanda icon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
AmandaLeigh Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 22

also, if anyone has any alcohol flavored cake recipes that would be neat too!

AmandaLeigh Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 22

no ideas?? icon_smile.gif

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 22

Am I the only one who has no idea what beer pong is?

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 22

I have no idea what it is either!

AmandaLeigh Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 22

oh my gosh I'm sorry!! I thought about that but I wasnt sure. Basically its a game where you have a pyramid of 6 cups with beer in them and each person stands at the end of the table and throw ping pong balls at the cups. if you make it in the opposite cup they have to drink. Its a silly drinking game but she and I have played it alot together so i thought it would be a cute idea.

marthajo1 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 22

You could make the cake and then use real shot glasses filled with real beer?

AmandaLeigh Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 22

thats a great idea but I was thinking smaller than shot glasses...but i will keep that in mind if i cant think of anything else

marthajo1 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 22

You could make tiny Beer steins out of gumpaste and fill them with amber colored piping gel. Oh it would be cute to put the names of your favorite clubs or bars on the steins (like collectibles) or your dream vacation spots or places youve been..... oh that would be cute! I don't think there is any way to make the glasses clear with out blowing them out of sugar....

AmandaLeigh Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 22

Thats probably what I'm going to have to do. I hate working with gumpaste though. would fondant work just as good?? sorry, I'm so new to this!

marthajo1 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 6:24pm
post #11 of 22

You could probably do a 50/50 mix. Have you tried wilton's premade gumpaste? It is just as easy to use as their fondant. You would be able to get the gumpaste a lot thinner. I wouldn't do all fondant but you could!

I just thought of something... it would be cute to do a big mug of beer for the cake and put a fondant ping pong ball in the top. Then the mug s you cake and you still have the tribute to beer pong!

AmandaLeigh Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 7:05pm
post #12 of 22

thats a really neat idea!! If I had the time to do that I would (jots that down for later) I have school all day during the week and only have monday and wednesday night to work on this. I also have to transport it 2 hours so the flatter the cake the better. what I want to do is have my half of the cake one flavor and her half she wants chocolate cake with strawberry filling. I havent decided on mine yet. I am going to frost it in buttercream. Then I'm going to try to make some rectangles of royal icing in brown to make it look like a table. that way, it can just be removed if someone doesnt want to eat it. I read about a techniquie in a book called 'run in', where you outline with royal icing..let it dry, then fill it in with thinner royal icing. is that a good idea? Then I was going to make her and I out of wilton's fondant (no one is going to eat them..ick!) and get some very thin gauge wire so it looks like there's a ball in the air. then the rows of cups with the 'beer' in them. This is pretty much my second cake ever..but I figure if I made a life size guitar i could do it right? Am I in over my head on this one?

AmandaLeigh Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 22
marthajo1 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 8:59pm
post #14 of 22

oh yeah that would be cute! How big are they goign to be? that cake is actually the cup. but if you are just going to make tiny cups then you can probably do the shape outta wilton fondant. I was picturing bigger cups than what you are describing i think! I am guessing your thinking something like this? pardon the monkey arms! icon_lol.gif I would make the table out of fondant you could even cover a small piece of cardboard if it won't have time to dry. cover dowels with fondant for the legs of the table. I would color it light brown and then you can add wood look by painting the fondant later. (check out the crate of oranges on my fair cake to see what I mean)
LL

marthajo1 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 9:01pm
post #15 of 22

wow I have never seen something attach like that before!

marthajo1 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 9:03pm
post #16 of 22

Hey I just checked out the guitar! It is awesome... if you want people to be able to comment on it you have to turn on comments in your profile.

AmandaLeigh Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 7:54pm
post #17 of 22

thats EXACTLY what I'm thinking. I was going to use little communion cups from church as my cups buuutttt. I just finished making the people out of gumpaste and didnt think about proportions and those cups are going to be too big. So now I think i'm going to make them out of fondant. I am going to make the top of the cake look like tiled floor (like in my kitchen) and I'm going to make my table out of brown royal icing. I'm going to try that tonight and make some back ups to see if that works. If not I'm defninitly going to try your cardboard idea. To do the tiled floor I'm going to dye the fondant and cut it into squares and let them dry. then I'm going to use chocolate buttercream as my frosting and grout icon_smile.gif My fiancee thought of that one. Anyhow..here are the little people I made They dont look much like us and I have alot of shaping and smoothing to do still so be gentle on the criticism icon_smile.gif I'm going to wait to do all of that until after the two hour transport.

and thanks for letting me know about hte comment thing. I wondered why there were only three. Thanks for your compliment as well!

Thank you so much for your help. Everyone is such a big help on this site, I love it and it IS addicting! I find myself on here more than doing my homework!!
LL
LL

marthajo1 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 8:26pm
post #18 of 22

they are cute!! Hope it works out!! Post a note back here when you post the cake!

AmandaLeigh Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:13am
post #19 of 22

ok i started over...this is what i have so far.
LL

AmandaLeigh Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:14am
post #20 of 22

ew horrible picture!! My camera sucks...anyway there's a much better one in my photos so go check it out and comment icon_smile.gif I love to read other's opinions so I can build on iticon_smile.gif

marthajo1 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:17pm
post #21 of 22

You better get em done or they won't be dry enough to stand up by Saturday! The new faces look amazing! Did you use a mold?

AmandaLeigh Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:34pm
post #22 of 22

I hope to get them finished tonight. I have the hair put on one of them and both sets of hands done. No I didnt use a mold..everything has been done by hand so far.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%