How Can I Make Edible Hockey Nets?

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 9 Nov 2006 , 9:07pm by toshaw

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 6

Okay, I need brain power here folks.

I'm making an ice hockey rink cake and would love everything to be edible.

I have seen those little white plastic nets you can buy, but any ideas how I could make them so they would/could be edible?

I was thinking about royal but I'm not sure how I could get it to stand up. Even MMF or gumpaste, how could I get it to stand up and curve over?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

5 replies
RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 6

when do you need t his by? I was thinking that you could get a sugar art gun.

www.beryls.com

and using the single hole disc you can make some strands.

then dry them over the side of a cake pan in your net design??

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 6

I made the #2 and sandcastles out of RI. I used them for a 3D effect. You can see it in my photos cake for 2 year old. I think you could probably make the posts and net seperate. The use the RI to "paste" them together. I would try and see if you liked the way it looked. It took overnight my RI things to dry fully. HTH

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 6

Maybe roll out fondant then use the end of a tip to cut holes out and drap it over something while it dries to shape it? Royal might work but may be too brittle if you have to travel.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

genean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genean Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 6

I'm not sure of the size of your cake but what if you took an upsidedown mini loaf pan covered it with saran or wax paper. Then take white chocolate and drizzle it on making a criss cross pattern. You would have to make sure the drizzles went onto the sides. Then you could take red chocolate and run a red border around the sides and top. I think that might work.

toshaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toshaw Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 6

www.sugarveil.com This is the place for edible netting, lace, etc. It is pliable. They have a sugar mix for the netting.

You don't have to buy the sugar veil machine. It can be done with a bag and #2 tip. You might want to get the comb, as well. They sell an instructional video that is really worth the price.

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%