Ovens

Decorating By georgiamom Updated 9 Nov 2006 , 7:52pm by LucyintheSky

georgiamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiamom Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 4

I've noticed lately that my oven is horribly uneven. I constantly have to turn my pans around to get things to cook semi-even. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to fix this. It's an electric, only 3 years old, smooth cooktop, if that matters. I know that it has a very good seal - when I open the oven I have to stand back or I get a very hot steam bath.

I've seen the posts on recalibrating ovens, I don't know if that would work in this case.

Thanks!

3 replies
kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 4

you can get someone to look at it...maybe the thermometer inside needs to be fixed.

do you have a thermometer in there to tell you the temp?? if not you should get one. maybe the oven is hotter than it should be.

RobLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobLee Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 4

Definately buy an oven thermometer and see what is going on for yourself before doing anything else...

I had consistently had troubles with my electric oven - until I bought the thermometer and saw that it takes my oven 20 minutes to get to 350. I wrongly thought that the preheat cycle (of 5 minutes) was sufficient to get the oven warmed up to temperature - so when doing cakes that only bake for 1/2 hour or so - they were coming out half uncooked.

I called several appliance repair places, thinking it should warm up quicker, and found that most companies say it takes 15 - 20 minutes to get to 350 (on newer ovens... ironically, many older ones were quicker!). Most people do not notice this because they are cooking roasts, lasagna, etc. - the temp does not need to be as precise as it does for baking cakes, etc.

Good luck, I hope this helps!!

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 4

I keep an thermometer in the oven so I can check to be sure the inside temperature is the same temperature I set it to (it never is, usually about 25 degrees hotter). So I've learned to adjust my oven to compensate. Maybe if you tried using thermometers to check the temp that would help figure out the issue. You may be able to correct it by adjusting your set temperature yourself, instead of having to calibrate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%