Tacky?

Decorating By deetmar Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 3:17am by golfgirl1227

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 27

A friend told me that she leaves her business card next to the wedding cake when she delivers them. Is that considered tacky? They say "Cake Provided By ......". She said it has brought her more business.

I don't think I would like that as a bride. What do you guys think?

26 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 27

I think one or two descreetly left behind the cake under the edge of the board is okay. I don't think unless the bride asks for you to do so that you should leave them out where every one can see them.

JMOH

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 27

i would definitely ask the bride first! i would not have liked business cards sitting next to my wedding cake!! imho it completely ruins the "feel" of a wedding, with the music, decorations, flowers, etc. i leave cards with reception halls, and they can let the brides know. much better to work out good relations with the halls, and see if you can get on their preferred vendor list!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 27

On the second quinceanera cake I did, I placed a few discreetly near the edge of the cake. I didn't want to make it too obvious, but I know that as a guest, I always like to know who made the food.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

but I know that as a guest, I always like to know who made the food.

i guess its nice to know for a b-day party or something, but at a formal wedding, you assume they have a nice caterer and wedding cake provider. in that instance if you really want to know, ask the mob or mog or someone in the wedding party. i wouldn't leave cards out. jmho!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 27

becca,

Yeah, I completely agree that it would probably not be the best idea at a formal wedding. Most wedding/quinceanera are very much informal. Hmm, but maybe I'm just creating a 'faux pas'??? hmmm.... icon_surprised.gif
Ahh, but that's what CC is for!!!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 27

I actually don't think it's tacky at all so long as permission is given from the bride and the cards are placed in the background rather than right in front of the cake. icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 27

I actually don't think it's tacky at all so long as permission is given from the bride and the cards are placed in the background rather than right in front of the cake. icon_smile.gif

tasha27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasha27 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 27

A lot of the wedding that I have been to actually recoginze the vendors somewhere on the program so if that is the case then there is no need to leave a card just MHO.

Shaela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaela Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 27

There is one very chi-chi place that I know of that makes (or perhaps has made for them) out of either chocolate or maybe it's gum paste or fondant... a medallion with the business name on it... they have it leaning against the side of the cake. It is very well done and not obtrusive. However, I personally, have never left a business card or anything with our name on it at the receptions that I have done... I just feel like, if someone wishes to contact me after having the my cheesecakes/cakes... they will contact the Bride and Groom or the facility.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 27

Absolutely tacky.

It's their wedding, not a bridal show for you to advertise. There are no business cards sticking out of the centrepieces or her bouquet. No labels sewn to the outside of her gown or her tux.

I cringe when I see the DJ booths with the company name or website in huge letters across the front, or the limo with the company name/phone number in big letters across the back window. Ugh!

People see the cake and know they can contact the couple later to ask where they got it from. It's not brain surgery!

snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 27

I agree... Totally tacky. I actually had a bride, one of my really good friends, ask me to bring cards and put them by the cake because I was giving her the cake for free. I told her no, that I thought it would be inappropriate for me to do at her wedding and that if she wanted to tell people I made the cake for her I would appreciate it but no cards.

Once she thought about it she agreed that cards were not appropriate at a wedding.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 27

Yes, I think it's tacky and inappropriate to advertise at a wedding. Peope will always ask who made the cake, so they'll always manage to get your contact info if they want it. Once the cake is set up it belongs to the bride and her day. To me that's just as inappropriate as talking business to the wedding guests while I'm serving the cake.

I agree with leaving cards with the hall/venue rather than leaving them out at the wedding. I can't imagine making an advertisement a part of the cake itself. Although when I make personal occasion cakes (ie: b-days, anniv, shower, etc) I put a small *C* on the back with a tiny flower or heart to match the icing, just as my mark. My daughter always looks for it first thing. It's like the bear paw on the Boyd's Bears figurines, sometimes hard to find. I don't consider that advertising.

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:31pm
post #14 of 27

If I was a bride and the ones who made my cake left cards all over the place for everyone to see, I would pick them up and throw them away. If I paid for a cake, I gave the company/person my business. They should thank me for that and not beg for more.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 5:00pm
post #15 of 27

The last wedding I went to, the decorator left the card. It was from a local supermarket. I thought it was tacky, and the cake was not impressive.

I too, leave the card taped in the corner of the box when it's for a shower or BD party, but wouldn't at a wedding.

I think if they want to know where the cake came from, they should ask. Just my opinion though.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 5:11pm
post #16 of 27

there is a time and place for cards....weddings/formal events are not the time or the place!!!! tacky tacky tacky!!!!!

cykrivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cykrivera Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 5:18pm
post #17 of 27

I don't think it is appropriate to leave the card at a wedding (by the cake). The guest know that they can contact the bride if they are curious. I do however have printed congratulations/thank you cards with a discount for their next order and my business card and put one in the card box. Usually I'll leave a few cards with the cooridinator or caterer if they seem interested. Otherwise, the bride knows how people can find me.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 5:21pm
post #18 of 27

totally tacky thumbsdown.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 5:24pm
post #19 of 27

I don't think it is tacky. I put a few at the back of the cake so the servers will know if asked. You don't have to put a pile in front of the cake!

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 9:58pm
post #20 of 27

Tacky. In my experience as a server at a wedding facility, we were never asked where the cake came from. Though I did hear the MOB or MOG or facility planner get asked.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:10pm
post #21 of 27

I don't leave cards ever, but sometimes I'll give one to the venue contact person, if I've never been there before, so they know who I am. If I've been there before, I just set up, compliment them on everything, and leave.

The guests are there because they are friends and fam of the bride or groom. If they want to know where she got her cake, they'll definitely know to ask her. icon_smile.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:14pm
post #22 of 27

Please don't do it!!!

When I married in 1998 I was very distressed when I saw a stack of business cards on the cake table (the otherwise lovely table with the lace cloth, scattered rose petals and beautiful cake). I picked them up, handed them to the nearest person with pockets and asked them to get rid of them. A cake will speak for itself, as will a pleased bride and groom that have had a good relationship with the decorator.

However, I think it is fine to attach a single card to the outside of a box. I would also suggest making a connection with the wedding planner/coordinator if there is one. Their recommendations seem to carry a lot of weight.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:21pm
post #23 of 27

Whenever I deliver a cake I always hand to the client some business cards, then it is their choice as to whether they put them out or not. Funnily enough though all my referrals have always said so and so gave me your number, never so and so gave me your card, but I don't care how the referral comes through, every referral is a positive comment towards your cake as far as I'm concerned. I'd never just leave cards without asking.

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:49pm
post #24 of 27

I'm in agreeance - I think it's tacky. They have hired you for a service, and this is their day, this isn't a bridal show or some other type of marketing event. I would leave a card with the venue, and offer them to the bride if she's so inclined, but I wouldn't leave them on the table. I think if someone wants to know who made the cake, they will ask the bride, or another member of the bridal party.

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:29am
post #25 of 27

Tacky... but happens more than you'd think. I'd never do it, but have seen it (as the florist). I know other florists who've arrived and thrown out cards left laying out.

I always buy a nice wedding card for the couple, enclose a few cards, and leave it in the cardbox. If people want to know who baked the cake, they'll ask.. but you don't want the talk about the cake to be "did you see how tacky that decorator was?"!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:39am
post #26 of 27

Yes, tacky. If your cake is tasty AND tasteful, they will come.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:17am
post #27 of 27

Tacky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%