Chocolate Transfers

Decorating By Delartful Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 3:50am by Delartful

Delartful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delartful Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 6:41am
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone,

I LOVE chocolate transfers that I have seen on this site. They are gorgeous. Everything i have read say to use the Wilton Candy Colours.

I'm in Australia and they are so expensive. SO, I just have a couple of questions about them. I'm guessing they are coloured WHITE chocolate? Is there any reason why you can't just colour the white chocolate yourself, using the powder CHOCOLATE colours - made especially for chocolate (I think they are oil based)

This is probably bleetingly obvious but not to me - I would have thought the powders would have been mentioned previously.
Thanks!!
Danni

5 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 6:49am
post #2 of 6

I live in the US, and I have never seen powdered chocolate colors. If they are made for chocolate, I can think of no reason why they couldn't be used.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:18am
post #3 of 6

I have heard of the powders, and seen them used on shows I have watched, but I haven't been able to find them here. You absolutely can use them to color your white chocolate. If that's what they're made for, and it says it's ok for chocolate. The only thing you can't use is the paste, gels, liquids for other foods and icings. It has to be oil based, as you said. As far as I know, most of those aren't.

Personally, I use the paste/gel that's specifically for chocolate. I would love to be able to find the powdered coloring for chocolate and candy here, they supposedly give a much deeper color, than what I use.

Good luck!

Holly

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 8:52am
post #4 of 6

Yes Delartful, you can use those powders icon_biggrin.gif

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 6

I found my powdered colors at CountryKitchen.com, they're great! I got the idea from Alton Brown, who said the powdered colors are "better" so I got the little sampler pack and they're great for pastel colors or bright colors w/o changing the consistency of your icing and I have used them in white chocolate and they work great!

Delartful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delartful Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:50am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much everyone - I thought perhaps the candy colour thingos might be milk chocolate or something, that was why people aren't using the powdered colours - I couldn't work out why they hadn't been mentioned. Yep, I tend to have blonde moments sometimes LOL
Danni

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%