Honest Opinion Needed!

Decorating By FlowerGirlMN Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 10:05am by IHATEFONDANT

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:16am
post #1 of 12

Ok, I have my first wedding show as a cake person (am an old hat at shows as a florist!) a week from today.. went on a dummy marathon to try and bulk up my portfolio a bit.

Anyway, it looks like I'll only have around 30 photos in my portfolio. I've tried really hard to have a bit of a mix between traditional-ish and funky, white / color.. and different techniques. I'm primarily fondant, but I have one with buttercream embroidery, some gumpaste flowers, one I drew all over, one with berries... tried colorflow (maddening!).. did one with royal icing snowflakes (LOVE it!)... etc.

I'll have about 3 cakes that aren't in my CC photo album in my final portfolio - we need to get photos ordered in a couple of days if we want them in time. i'm FREAKING that I don't have a big enough portfolio to really pull this off. I won't be having samples (not enough time to bake them, logistics with our booth/businesses, etc), so I'm REALLY relying on my print materials (nice!) and portfolio (sparse?) to sell me.

Looking at my CC album.. is it a decent enough portfolio at this point? My arms and shoulders are going to fall off from making so much fondant, but if I have to marathon it for a few more days, I will!

11 replies
AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:31am
post #2 of 12

You have plenty! Great mix, beautiful cakes, you are in like Flynn!

Elle

Jessica1817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica1817 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:52am
post #3 of 12

The cakes are beautiful! I wouldn't worry about a number, your work speaks for itself!

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:52am
post #4 of 12

Oh lord I hope so. I see what other pros are doing, and know they've been doing it for a loooong time.. so I'm SO worried that I'm not even good enough to make a go of this, ya know?

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:06am
post #5 of 12

You cakes are beautiful...I wouldn't worry about it you'll do great!

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:40am
post #6 of 12

All you cakes are beautiful! I think I am going to the same to build a portfolio.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:47am
post #7 of 12

wow your cakes are amazing. I think you have a very nice variety from more traditional to more modern and everything in between. You varied your colors quite a bit (which shows you aren't afraid of anything) and you offered some new designs I am sure a lot of the bride's have not seen.

I think your photos will sell you as you have great presentation in them also.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 8:56am
post #8 of 12

WOW !! Your cakes are fabulous - the patterns , styles , colours are mind-blowing icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 9:04am
post #9 of 12

Awesome cakes !!!! They look teriffic in every aspect , I would not worry if I were you. Great work on all your cakes thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Monilynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monilynn Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 9:15am
post #10 of 12

I love your cakes !!! I think you have a very wide nice selection !

HTH

Monica

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 9:46am
post #11 of 12

O my your cakes rock. Your selection is great. Your portfolio is fine and it can only getter a wider variety as you make more cakes.

Leigh

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:05am
post #12 of 12

I think your portfolio is fine. icon_smile.gif

And this thread was a great way to get CC members to look at your creations. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%