Is This Another Crapy Product????

Decorating By afh0212 Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 2:16pm by Copacabanya

afh0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afh0212 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 23

Ok...I know that if anyone has ever used Wilton fondant, or actually tasted it that is, they know how it will about make you GAG!!!
Is their pre-made gumpaste okay, or is it one of those products that all you seasoned cake decorators go ""OH NO, YOU CAN'T USE THAT STUFF!"?
I have tried working with it, but I just have no luck!!! It never really smooths out. It always has a "cracked" appearence to it. Am I doing something wrong or do I need a better brand???
I know you guys can enlighten me on this subject!
Thanks so much!
Andrea

22 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 23

when I use the Wilton Gumpaste I use 50/50 fondant/gumpaste. The first time I tried to use all gumpaste it was cracking and wrinkling on me. Using the fondant will help prolong the amount of time you can fidget and make your product but, will make for a slightly longer drying time.

Hope this helps!

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 23

I absolutely agree with Step0nmi. When I only have wilton available I always mix it 50/50 fondant/gum paste. It does take it longer to dry but also gives you a little more time to get it exactly as you want it. Good luck!!!

Elle

afh0212 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 23

What other brands do you use besides Wilton?

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 23

I actually just used Wilton's Gum Paste mix this last weekend for the first time and I didn't have any trouble with it. I did exactly what it said on the can too. I did notice that while kneading it took a while for it to absorb the PS but I just needed it until it was able to be handled and wasn't sticky and then as I was rolling it, I was using more PS and it seemed just fine. Give it a try again if you can - maybe the 2nd time will be a charm?? OR.....I was just really lucky and everyone else will tell you that it sucks too...lol Good Luck!!

Tammi

afh0212 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 23

Oh, I didn't use the mix. I used the pre-made kind in the silver pouch! Maybe I should try the mix.
Thanks!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 23

I use nicholas lodge gumpaste recipe. I am making a some right now. It is great and easy to use also comes out to a great white color. I like because you can freeze it for months.

here is the recipe.

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

Tylose Gumpaste

Tylose is an alternative product to use in making gumpaste instead of gum tragacanth. The advantage of the tylose is that the paste is less expensive,, easier to make, holds up better in humidity and is whiter in color. The 55g container makes approximately 3 pounds of finished gumpaste.

The following recipe will make approximately 2 pounds of gumpaste.

4 - Large Egg Whites
1 - 2 lb. bag 10x powdered sugar
12 - Level teaspoons Tylose (Available in our online store)
4 - Teaspoons shortening (Crisco)

1. Place the egg whites in a Kitchen Aid mixer bowl fitted with the flat paddle.

2. Turn the mixer on high speed for 10 seconds to break up the egg whites.

3. Reserve 1 cup of the powdered sugar and set aside.

4. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed and slowly add the remaining sugar. This will make a soft consistency royal icing.

5. Turn up the speed to setting 3 or 4 for about 2 minutes. During this time measure off the tylose into a small container.

6. Make sure the mixture is at the soft peak stage. It should look shiny, like meringue and the peaks fall over. (If coloring the entire batch, add the paste color at this stage, making it a shade darker than the desired color.)

7. Turn the mixer to the slow setting and sprinkle the tylose in over a five second time period. Next, turn the speed up to the high setting for a few seconds. (This will thicken the mixture.

8. Scrape the mixture out of the bowl onto a work surface that has been sprinkled with some of the reserved 1 cup of
powdered sugar. Place the shortening on your hands and knead the paste, adding enough of the reserved powdered sugar to form a soft but not sticky dough. You can check by pinching with your fingers and they should come away clean. Place the finished paste in a zip-top bag, then place the bagged paste in a second bag and seal well.

9. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours if possible before using to mature the paste.

10. Before use, remove from refrigerator and allow the paste to come to room temperature. Take a small amount of shortening on the end of your finger and knead this into the paste. If you are coloring the paste, add the paste color at this stage.

11. Always store the paste in the zip-top bags and return to the refrigerator when you are not using the paste. Will keep under refrigeration for approximately 6 months. You can keep the paste longer by freezing. Be sure to use zip-top freezer bags. If you will be freezing a batch of paste, allow it to mature for 24 hours in the refrigerator first before placing into the freezer.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 23

I tried the premade in the pouch too. It was dried up on the edges and I never got it smooth. There were always little "balls" in it. I dont know if it was old or what.

Now I make the nick lodge recipe (on his site) and it is very easy to make. Or sometimes I will just mix in some tylose powder into fondant. I wont by the wilton again!

afh0212 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I tried the premade in the pouch too. It was dried up on the edges and I never got it smooth. There were always little "balls" in it. I dont know if it was old or what.

Now I make the nick lodge recipe (on his site) and it is very easy to make. Or sometimes I will just mix in some tylose powder into fondant. I wont by the wilton again!

Thats exactly what I had happen! It was always dry, cracky looking! Thanks for all the info!!!!!I knew you guys would come through for me!

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 23

Well I just feel stupid because I didn't know they made Pre-Made Gumpaste...lol I think I will try the recipe posted - Thanks justsweet!! I've been so glad I changed to MMF so this has to be great too!! lol

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 23

I use the Wilton mix and it always works up nicely. I do use a little crisco on my hands while working with it. When using Wilton pre-made gumpaste it will help if you grease your hands up with crisco or another solid shortening. This is what I did before I began using the mix and it helped a lot with the cracking you are describing.
Remember, gumpaste dries VERY QUICKLY making it important to keep it covered with plastic wrap when you are not actively working with it. When cutting multiple shapes for flower making, etc., be sure and keep a piece of plastic wrap over the cut pieces you are not working with too. If you don't the pieces will dry out to much and with crack on you when you begin shaping them. Bottom line-The only gumpaste that should ever be uncovered is the piece you are actively working with.

Hope this helps you out a bit. icon_smile.gif

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:19pm
post #12 of 23

icon_surprised.gif I was surprised to see this thread . . . having never worked with gumpaste, I used the premade product to make butterflies for my son's wedding cake . . . I had no problem with the product. However . . . I am happy to see the alternatives available out there . . . nice to know there are other options!! thumbs_up.gif (I did have to use crisco on my hands to keep everything in "good working order")

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:56pm
post #13 of 23

I always use the premade stuff but, I HAVE made the wilton recipe on the back of the can. Both have been great for me since I don't like to mix a lot of stuff from scratch! icon_lol.gif It is just easier since I don't have a lot of extra time....it is always that everyone has a different preference of what to use!

I have never had a packaged Wilton Gumpaste be dry, cracked, and have little balls in it! I would've called the company!

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:12pm
post #14 of 23

I teach Wilton's "Gum Paste Flowers" class and always use the pre-made Gum Paste. You must always give the pkg. a squeeze before you buy to be sure it is nice and fresh. If you can feeel hardness thru the package, don't buy it. It should feel soft and pliable thru the foil.

Also, once you un-package it, give it a rub with Crisco, coating it entirely. Then double-wrap in plastic wrap. This is a good product tho nothing beats a hand made batch.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:23pm
post #15 of 23

Last night I just opened my premade package of Bakels Gum Paste which I bought because Colette Peters recommended it one of her books. It is so much better than Wilton's!! I am using it 50/50 with fondant, but know if I use it straight it would still be great. A definite favorite so far. I haven't tried making my own though.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 9:04pm
post #16 of 23

You know, I really should have spent a few months on here before buying anything. I got a can of wilton gumpaste mix about a month ago. And in Vermont, you cannot return ANY food item, for any reason (other than normal spoilage). So, I'm stuck with it. I guess I can use it for practice, right?

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:07am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarnspice1981

You know, I really should have spent a few months on here before buying anything. I got a can of wilton gumpaste mix about a month ago. And in Vermont, you cannot return ANY food item, for any reason (other than normal spoilage). So, I'm stuck with it. I guess I can use it for practice, right?

Why would you need to take it back? The Wilton gumpaste mix is actually a very good product that a lot of us use exclusively. Give it a try and I personally think you will be happy with it. If you look in my photo album, and see the cake in my avatar, every single gumpaste/fondant flower, leaf, etc. was made using the Wilton gumpaste mix.
I do hope you will give it a try before writing it off as a bad product. I think the only thing negative this thread was saying about Wilton gumpaste was regarding the "pre-made ready to use" gumpaste. icon_smile.gif

CKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CKelly Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:20am
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

I use the Wilton mix and it always works up nicely. I do use a little crisco on my hands while working with it. When using Wilton pre-made gumpaste it will help if you grease your hands up with crisco or another solid shortening. This is what I did before I began using the mix and it helped a lot with the cracking you are describing.
Remember, gumpaste dries VERY QUICKLY making it important to keep it covered with plastic wrap when you are not actively working with it. When cutting multiple shapes for flower making, etc., be sure and keep a piece of plastic wrap over the cut pieces you are not working with too. If you don't the pieces will dry out to much and with crack on you when you begin shaping them. Bottom line-The only gumpaste that should ever be uncovered is the piece you are actively working with.

Hope this helps you out a bit. icon_smile.gif

Ditto!! I've used the pre-made gum paste (Wilton) and have not had a problem..I too use a little crisco on my hands..

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:23am
post #19 of 23

Wilton fondant, gumpaste, tools, are all great teaching/learning tools and supplies. I am not sorry that I ever used their products to learn with.

I have never used Wilton gumpaste mix, but I have used CK brand mix - the only problem I had with it is that it dries very quickly, so you most definitely must keep it covered when not in use.

I have used SatinIce pre-made gumpaste with no problem. All three other brands that I have tried - Nick Lodge, Bakels, Wilton - do not work for me. I live in a valley, and humidity just lingers here, during all four seasons.

Homemade gumpaste is best for me, and where I live.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:23am
post #20 of 23

Wilton fondant, gumpaste, tools, are all great teaching/learning tools and supplies. I am not sorry that I ever used their products to learn with.

I have never used Wilton gumpaste mix, but I have used CK brand mix - the only problem I had with it is that it dries very quickly, so you most definitely must keep it covered when not in use.

I have used SatinIce pre-made gumpaste with no problem. All three other brands that I have tried - Nick Lodge, Bakels, Wilton - do not work for me. I live in a valley, and humidity just lingers here, during all four seasons.

Homemade gumpaste is best for me, and where I live.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:51pm
post #21 of 23

I am not a wilton basher, but I also once bought some pre colored fondant because I was just making figures out of it. Anyway the outside edges of the fondant were all dried up inside the pouch. I was pretty disappointed. So I dont know if it is a matter of getting a fresh pouch.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:59pm
post #22 of 23

Well, I'm not all that fond of wilton stuff, but i do like and use their premade gumpaste. As was said make sure to squeeze the bag to see if it is soft, if you can't squeeze it you aren't going to be able to work it. Same with thier fondant, even if you are only using it to practice with make sure you can squeeze the box cause if you can't, there maybe a small hole in the foil packageing that has let it dry out.

BTW: the cake in my photos with the pink roses are all made with wilton's premade gumpaste

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:16pm
post #23 of 23

The first pouch of Wilton gumpaste I used was not very fresh because it was hard as a rock. I thought it was awful until I tried a fresh package and I love it. I just knead it with crisco until it is nice and smooth and I have never had a cracking problem. I used straight Wilton gumpaste on the lilac in my photos and it was really easy to work with.

I really liked the texture of the Bakels gumpaste but I made daisies with it and it took over a week to really dry. That was 3 weeks ago at least and I can still move the petals on those flowers.

Anya

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%