Newbie Needs Help

Decorating By NOSEYROSIE Updated 13 Nov 2006 , 1:45pm by 2sdae

NOSEYROSIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NOSEYROSIE Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 6:15am
post #1 of 10

HI, I AM TRYING TO MAKE A PLAIN BUTTERCREAM CAKE, HOWEVER, I WOULD LIKE TO TOP IT WITH CHOOCOLATE SHAVINGS. HERE IS THE QUESTION...HOW DO I GET THE SHAVING ONTO THE SIDES OF THE ROUND CAKE. THANK YOU FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS. YVONNE

9 replies
dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 6:58am
post #2 of 10

Well welcome to CC, I've haven't done that yet but I am sure some one here has and will be more than glad to help you.

RachelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelC Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 7:05am
post #3 of 10

Welcome Noseyrosie! I'm not sure either, but I will give you a bump and maybe someone with more expertise will help you!

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 7:07am
post #4 of 10

You hold the iced cake up with one hand (over the pan with all the shavings in it) and with the other hand, you gently roll/press a handfull of shavings onto the side of the cake. Many will fall, thats expected. But you just keep "gently" pressing handfulls of shavings onto the sides as you move around the sides.
I hope I made that clear.....thats how we do it in class! It does take a lot of shavings. icon_rolleyes.gif

dolfin Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 7:16am
post #5 of 10

See now that makes sense, I would have just iced the sides then rolled the cake in the shavings, LOL, then iced the top. I knew somebody would have a better idea.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 7:16am
post #6 of 10

if the cake is not too large, like an 8" round or smaller, you could do this, (from my cake cookbook).... ice the sides. let the icing crust for just a few minutes5-10...then hold one hand on the top of the cake, one on the bottom and roll it through a tray full of shavings. the pressure of rolling should make it stick well. handle it carefully so it doesnt fall or split. then place on your cake plate or board and finish the top and borders.

dolfin Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 7:20am
post #7 of 10

LOL!!! Guess it wasn't so crazy after all.

NOSEYROSIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NOSEYROSIE Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 9:30am
post #8 of 10

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WARM WELCOME. I WILL GIVE ALL SUGGESTIONS A TRY. I AM TEACHING MYSELF THIS BAKING BUSINESS.LOL
I WAS HAVE SEEN MANY AWSOME CAKES FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS WHILE I WORKED AS A CATERER FOR OTHERS AND FINALLY FOR MYSELF. I CANOT AFFORD THE CLASS, SO I AM HAPPY THAT I FOUND THIS SITE. MY CO-WORKERS VOLUNTEERED TO BE MY GUINEPIGS. OH BOY
THANKS AGAIN.[/i][/i]

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 9:38am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin

I would have just iced the sides then rolled the cake in the shavings,

LOL!!!!! What a visual!!! LOL Thanks for the laugh icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 10

icon_lol.gif I got quit a laugh at the idea of me trying to "roll" a cake in shavings! I would certainly have a BIG mess there! You had better be brave to do that one! But the gently rotating the cake with one hand and pressing the shavings to the sides, would have to be my alternative or I'd have cake dropped in shavings instaed of covered with shavings. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%