Help With Sculpting A Cake

Decorating By chele_belle Updated 9 Sep 2007 , 2:19am by JanetBme

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 8

I was wanting to make a cake to look like this for the launch of Halo 3 for my brothers game stop, they will be having refreshments and such to keep people awake until midnight.
I'm not sure the best way to approach sculpting this because of the visor. How do I do this without everything collapsing? Please help.

TIA
Chele
LL

7 replies
adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 8

I would definitely make 2 cakes. The bottom one being the shape below the visor. The bottom of the visor being a cake board and the second cake sculpted on top of that.
Dowel the first cake, put on the 2nd cake, and you will have no problems of anything collapsing.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 8

Gosh that is a toughie! I am not nearly good enough to even attempt something like that. Would a cake board work and maybe paint it black and use it under the visor?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 8

bottom of visor is a cakeboard supported by dowels inside the cake -- the blue dotted line in the sketch

due to slant (if you build it that way) and that there is more cake on back of board then sticking out, it shouldn't be a problem w/ tipping.

the gray area is the hump of cake on top of the cakeboard to make the top of helmet

and if you cover it all in fondant, that will help make it stable some too.

cake is basically a stack of round layers that are cut to get the shape with extensions added for the ear covers and chin.

HTH
LL

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 8

Doug,

That helps SO much!!! Thank you!!!

If anyone else has any suggestions I listen to them all.

Thanks Again,
Chele[/img]

HammIamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HammIamm Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:22am
post #6 of 8

i would just, stack, the cakes, crumb coat, freeze.. then carve.
I however usually bake my cakes bigger than i need, and carve away.. rather have to much ... then find out i should have gone a bit bigger..

good luck

nelja5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelja5 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:37am
post #7 of 8

Doug

You are truly Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:19am
post #8 of 8

I didn't see how many you need to serve... But.

bake a ball cake and a single thin layer 10 inch round. The ball cake is going to be the center round part when it is all assembled.

Cut a thin foamcoreboard round with a flap , in the size of the ball cake like it has the visor on it.( picture the shadow of a ball cap with the bill)

put the bottom of the ball cake on a base board.( you might flatten the bottom so it won't roll) Dowel it with 3 dowels. Put the cake board that you just cut top of that. Visor to the front. Then Put the other half of the ball cake on top of that. It should look like a whole ball with a flap sticking out the middle of the cake in front now. If you are worried about weight- Take a dowel and spike it all the way thru the center board-

Take the actual ball baking pan and put it on the 10 inch round cake about half way.- and using the shape as a guide cut a crescent moon shape(about as wide as your visor needs to be.. Now that moon shape should fit the ball cake as a visor (like a puzzle piece)- stack it onto the foamcore against the top ball cake. Then carve out the front of the visor shape to fit the size you cut the foamcore. ( if you allowed your cake to crown- you could actually use the the crown part. Then when you make the crescent moon part, it would actually already be humped in the shape of a visor)

Use the rest of the pieces to make the face mask and ear pieces.

Just make sure to use a heavy crusting icing to glue all your pieces and layers together. I'd ice it with bc- but you could do easier details with fondant- and the fondant will help it hold together.

I hope this makes sense.

It's a really basic shape- much easier than a football helmet because it doesn't have any hollow areas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%