Scroll Paptterns On Cakes

Decorating By beckaroo Updated 8 Nov 2006 , 3:01am by AlamoSweets

beckaroo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckaroo Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing my daughter's wedding cake and am going to put scrolls on the cake. Last time I tried using the scroll patterns, the scrolls were not smooth looking. They had little pockets in the buttercream. Should I add piping gel to the buttercream? Should I have made the buttercream thin consistency? I was afraid to make it too thin for fear that the scrolls might run. I need any and all suggestions for working with scrolls.
Thanks!!!

5 replies
noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 6

I think if you add piping gel it would look ok, you cuold always practice on wax paper or something. But I would definitely try adding some piping gel

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 6

Try thinning it out a little and try not to beat to hard and create air bubbles. You can do a test on your practice board first to see how it will come out.

o0lilnikki0o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
o0lilnikki0o Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 6

piping gel is a very good idea to add.. it helps keep it together.. but there still may be airbubbles.. piping gel makes it roll out smoother, and makes it so it wont break as easily when writing.

u could also add karo syrup ( white corn syrup).. it makes it almost the same way but i think it could help with the bubbles..

u could try not mixing the buttercream as much, whipping it for less time

hope this helps icon_razz.gif

beckaroo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckaroo Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 1:24am
post #5 of 6

Those are some great ideas. How much corn syrup would I add if I went that route? I am definitely going to practice.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:01am
post #6 of 6

I have found that if you just thin your BC a little it works fine. To have an even scroll I have also found if I go from the right to the left I tend to do it slower and more acurately. I am right handed and tend to go right to left and I always rush it. Practice this way and see if it helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%