Clean My Airbrush... Help...asap!

Decorating By peacockplace Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 6:24pm by wolfley29

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:19am
post #1 of 20

I remember in class just sticking the whole airbrush into a bucket of water while it was running, then pulling it out and spraying the water out. Is this ok, or will it mess mess my airbrush up? Please help!

19 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:25am
post #2 of 20

I ordered a DVD about how to airbrush cakes by the Cake Lady, Frances Kuyper and she uses the method you described to clean the airbrush so that's what I've been using. I've only used my airbrush about four or five times and so far so good (though I'd do a lot better if I remembered to remove the cap before I started using it and not halfway through!! icon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gif )

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:25am
post #3 of 20

some people do, personally I don't like to do this, I usualy just turn on the water in the sink a little so there is a good stream, but it isn't on full blast then run the water through the cup and spray into the sink (then just use the sprayer to spray off any colors on the sink... it works pretty well.

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:34am
post #4 of 20

What if I purchased a used airbrush and it is pretty thick of red coloring inside? Will that coloring come out with just the water? Or do I need to scrub it down with an airbrush cleaner? Also, was told to use Windex, is this okay? Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:48am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfley29

What if I purchased a used airbrush and it is pretty thick of red coloring inside? Will that coloring come out with just the water? Or do I need to scrub it down with an airbrush cleaner? Also, was told to use Windex, is this okay? Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Is the red coloring food coloring? If it isn't, or you're not sure, then I don't recommend using this airbrush for cakes. Also, for me personally, if it's something you wouldn't use on dishes you eat off of, then I wouldn't use it to clean cake decorating supplies/tools that will come into contact with anything edible. So for me, personally, I wouldn't use Windex.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 5:00am
post #6 of 20

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

wolfley29 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 6:56am
post #7 of 20

[/quote]Is the red coloring food coloring? If it isn't, or you're not sure, then I don't recommend using this airbrush for cakes. Also, for me personally, if it's something you wouldn't use on dishes you eat off of, then I wouldn't use it to clean cake decorating supplies/tools that will come into contact with anything edible. So for me, personally, I wouldn't use Windex.[/quote]

It is a Kopykake airbrush that came from a bakery, so I am pretty sure it is food coloring. Can I use Dawn dish soap then to clean it out, or do I need the special and expensive airbrush cleaner I see on their site?

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 20

Just read the posts. Someone I think on this site recommented denture-tabs to use for a cleaner. Is this right? Thanks to all.

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 20

I actually spoke with Beryl from beryls.com about airbrush cleaner once. She told me that she has had her airbrush for several years and has never used the special airbrush cleaner, has just used water.

When I clean mine, I do like leily does. I fill the cup with water and run it through the airbrush.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 20

you should never dunk your airbrush as there are some parts inside that will rust, im sure i have read this on kopykake somewhere. i also run the hot water and spray through till it runs clear. i also spray left over color into a small empty wilton flavouring bottle, haven't used that yet, but its almost black now.

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 20

Airbrushers have been using Windex for many years. Even the kopy Kake brush which is made from nickle plated brass- exactly the same composition as every other airbrush will not be harmed with Windex. As long as you rinse it out- it isn't going to hurt your cake either. (It's used on kitchen and restaraunt counters etc all the time with no ill effects.) Of course they will tell you to use their custom cleaner- it is a good MARKET for them!

You don't need to use it for everyday cleaning- but water and soap is not always effective for cleaning out clogged brushes. Sometimes you need to soak it in something. Don't leave it in the windex overnight- just as you wouldn't leave your brush in a bucket of water over night- Of course if you left it in anything liquid for long it would rust or whatever. After you clean your brush- you dry it or let it dry .

The part that you don't really want to immerse is where the hose connect s to your brush- That can get water or whatever up in it- and can cause problems after a while..but- since most people are cleaning their brushes while attached and blowing air- getting water in there is not a problem.

If your brush is clogged somewhere that you can't seem to fix. You might have to soak it. When I have to soak my brush I do it in windex, I use one of those little glasses that pimento cheese used to come in. It is perfect to stand your brush tip down (but the cone and everything off) in. Then spray the windex down the back (handle, needle,spring etc. all removed). Then just fill it up to the point that you are not immersing the part where the hose connects- or getting it into the same hole on the inside. If you do- just make sure to use a q-tip and dry it out very well!

Then of course the key part is rinse it out with water. I always run everclear thru mine right before I use it too.

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 8:49pm
post #12 of 20

I had worked at a bakery within a large grocery store for a few years and during that time, I airbrushed 15-30 cakes on any given day..a minimum of 10 in a day at the very least and for the 4 yrs I was there, I only used water to rinse it and nothing else. I just held it under running water and sprayed it out. It never needed to be replaced or had any problems. I have one in my kitchen now and I have never bought the commercial cleaner since the water always worked well in the past and had been 'well tested'.

wolfley29 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 10:15pm
post #13 of 20

Well, I took some Q-tips and some Dawn and wiped out the airbrush, then rinsed it with hot water. It was bad inside, but now is shining clean! I think I will have to purchase a new needle though, as the one I received looks bent slightly. I can't wait to use it. Thank you all for your suggestions.

JanetBme Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:53am
post #14 of 20
Quote:

Well, I took some Q-tips and some Dawn and wiped out the airbrush, then rinsed it with hot water. It was bad inside, but now is shining clean! I think I will have to purchase a new needle though, as the one I received looks bent slightly. I can't wait to use it. Thank you all for your suggestions.

While you are waiting for the new needle to come in- you can probably fix yours enough to use- as long as it isn't hooked too bad. 1) roll the tip along a flat hard surface. If that doesn't do it- take two quarters- put the end of the needle between them then roll and pull the needle out as you press in with your thumb and forefinger.- that usually gives it enough pressure to straighten it. If there is just a burr on it- then you can use a white fine nail block to buff the burr out. icon_smile.gif after 20 years airbrushing I've had to straighten a few needles in my time! Good luck and I hope that you enjoy it!

wolfley29 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:31am
post #15 of 20

Thank you very much for those tips. It had a pretty decent curl to it at first and I was able to straighten it out. But it still has a bend in it. I will try the two quarters together to see if that will help. This is why I love this site! Any tips on airbrushing techniques for a beginner? Or is there a free video somewhere?

JanetBme Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:43am
post #16 of 20
Quote:

Thank you very much for those tips. It had a pretty decent curl to it at first and I was able to straighten it out. But it still has a bend in it. I will try the two quarters together to see if that will help. This is why I love this site! Any tips on airbrushing techniques for a beginner? Or is there a free video somewhere?

If it still has a bend in it and the quarters and buffing don't work- then wait til you get your new needle. Otherwise you won't see what it really should be doing. The littlest bend or spur can make it grainy or spit in that direction. Even if it seems to be doing ok- once you get a new needle you will see the difference. That is why a lot of times the cakes you see in a grocery look grainy- They've used a needle 4 ever and since they've never seen it new- they haven't a clue what it should really look like.

It really depends on your brush- I didn't see what kind- but if it came with practice directions- put a sheet of newsprint down and practice the basic controls- for a whole day!!! I know you want to put it on a cake NOW- but honestly if you take the time now to play and learn control-and you see what it can do on a hard surface, then your control will be good enough to make it work on icing too. I hope you will love your brush!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:52am
post #17 of 20

I disassemble my airbrush when it gets really gunky and soak it with a denture tablet for about an hour. Then I dry the parts and leave them out on a towel just to make sure they are completely dry before I put it back together.

I've never had any problems - and I'd rather use a denture tablet than any chemical cleaner. I know that denture tablets are safe.

wolfley29 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 6:09am
post #18 of 20

BrandisBaked, that's a really good idea too. I am hoping that this did the job, but if I have problems with it, then I will try the denture tablet.

JanetBme, I tried the quarters, but there is a little bend I can see when it is not inside the brush. So I guess I will wait. Also, once I get it, would it be good to practice with a coloring book? As I did not get a practice sheet with it. It is a KopyKake A-2000, used from ebay.

JanetBme Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:01pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:

JanetBme, I tried the quarters, but there is a little bend I can see when it is not inside the brush. So I guess I will wait. Also, once I get it, would it be good to practice with a coloring book? As I did not get a practice sheet with it. It is a KopyKake A-2000, used from ebay.

Wolfey- it certainly can't hurt! The more basic skills you have- the more you will be able to do on cake. First step is usually dots..do a whole page of dots. The exact same size dots all in a row. This teaches you to control your brush on and off. Then basics- Like stopping and starting (do lines across a blank page,sheet of newsprint- or even a newspaper) keep doing them until you have straight solid lines- with no blobs at the end. Then try to make your lines go from thick to thin...I know it sounds so easy- but sometimes people skip the most basic skills and just blow on their cakes with color. The full potential of an airbrush is amazing- even on icing! icon_smile.gif

Something you might want to do before you order the needle is Remove the crown looking piece on the end of your brush to expose the little cone. Take a magnifying glass and look at the tip of it. If your needle was bent- chances are that that little cone has at least a hairline crack or something in it. It is very fragile. If it has any imperfection in it's rim- then you need to order a new cone. Don't worry both pieces are pretty cheap!

wolfley29 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 6:24pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks so much for the advice. I will take a look at it today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%