Need Help W/cake W/no Fondant....

Decorating By Letmebeurdesignr Updated 13 Sep 2007 , 5:50am by Sarsi

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:27am
post #1 of 20

Hey Yall,

My daughter is going to be 18 in a few days. She found a cake that she wants but it is covered in fondant. She does not like the fondant and doesnt want it on the cake. Anybody have any suggestions on this cake? I want to make this cake very special for her but w/o the fondant..im racking my brain trying to figure this out...

Thanks yall
LL

19 replies
cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:33am
post #2 of 20

Is she just against the fondant covering the cake - or is she also against fondant for the decorations ?
This cake would be easy to do covered in BC. Use Melvira's method to smooth - see tutorials. The diamonds and circles could easily be piped on with BC. The bow would be hard to do with out being fondant. You could do the ribbon going around the cake in BC and just do the bow part in fondant or use real ribbon and make real bow. As for the stars on wires - those could be made with royal icing. Really this cake would be pretty easy to re-create in BC.
Good Luck

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:34am
post #3 of 20

Has she tried the MMF?

I absolutely hate...hate...fondant (playdough, anyone?), but I think the MMF is yummy.

Trevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trevie Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:38am
post #4 of 20

You could also try rolled buttercream. I'll have to dig up the recipe but you actually roll it out like fondant but it's buttercream. I made a topsy turvy using regular bc and using the Melvira method. It worked really well. HTH!

Letmebeurdesignr Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:50am
post #5 of 20

im not for sure as far as the whole fondant thing..this information is coming from my husband and 13 year old...i will be asking more questions of the 17 year old when she gets home from her game...she apparently has picked out a couple of designs for the cake so ill find out what she really likes and let yall know..thanks a bunch for the ideas...

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:38am
post #6 of 20

well icing the cakes in buttercream shouldn't be a problem it is the accents that I would prefer to do in fondant... but if she is dead set against it then maybe you could do chocolate transfers? Or just pipe on in buttercream, and then smooth.

HTH

Letmebeurdesignr Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 6:44am
post #7 of 20

ok i did talk to her...i am going to make a batch of MMF and let her try it...i hope that she likes it cause i really dont wanna do all that in BC..anybody got a really really good MMF recipe?

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 7:07am
post #8 of 20

Peggy's Baking Corner has a great recipe with great instructions!! Yummy Yummy! icon_biggrin.gif

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

Letmebeurdesignr Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 7:09am
post #9 of 20

Thanks sarsi...I will possibly be making this tomorrow for her to try..her bday is the 18th so i gotta have it soon..gonna be alot of work for that cake..im dreading it..lol

Sarsi Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 7:14am
post #10 of 20

Well good luck!! I hope she likes it, seeing that you dont want to do it all in buttercream!! icon_biggrin.gif I'll be making a batch soon myself to make my nefew a "farm" scene cake for his first b-day icon_biggrin.gif On the 16th!! I've done so much fondant, just starting out, I'm actually scared to ever decorate a cake in only buttercream!! LOL...I seem to be the opposite of most beginers on here!! Anyway, I'm rambling!! Tell us how she liked it!! Post pictures!!

Letmebeurdesignr Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 7:18am
post #11 of 20

yea i had just taken fondant/gumpaste class last month and she had tasted the wilton fondant..she didnt care for it and i think that is the reason she didnt want the fondant..i told her about the MMF and she said that would be good..i told her i would let her try it before i did the cake and she was cool w/that..ive never done a topsy turvy cake nor have a done a tier cake..im kinda scared and gonna need all the help i can get from the CC members..lol...anybody got any ideas for how to dowel the topsy turvy cakes?

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 7:30am
post #12 of 20

Satin Ice fondant tastes good too. I love the vanilla flavor. I've heard chocolate tastes like tootsie rolls, but I haven't tried it yet.

Someone mentioned earlier a rolled buttercream. I found the recipe for it.. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-Rolled-Buttercream-Icing-Recipe.html

I haven't tried that, but I've seen pictures of cakes that used it and it looks great. I hope to try it myself soon.

Let us know what you decided. I can't wait to see photos! icon_smile.gif

I hope she likes the taste of the marshmallow fondant, if that's what you choose.

Holly

Sarsi Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 7:34am
post #13 of 20

I've never used Wilton. I'm a scratch all the way girl! icon_biggrin.gif Heard it's nasty though..how can they sell it if its so gross?? I made a topsy turvy cake, but I dont think I doweled it correctly, but afterwards, I found an awesome link I'm going to try next time!! Here you go. This might help you! icon_cool.gif ahhh...gee...I cant find it!! LOL...I'll keep searching..

Here's my first fondant and first crooked cake icon_biggrin.gif
LL

Sarsi Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:14am
post #14 of 20

oh...heres an old thread about making a crooked cake. The first link is the one I was trying to find for ya! Search for about 1/2 hr, n then suddenly decide to just look on CC...WHAT'YA KNOW?!! LOL... I hope this helps!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-434213-crooked.html

Hollyanna70 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:30am
post #15 of 20

I think she knows how to do the whimsical cake, she was asking about fondant.

Her daughter wanted that design in buttercream, instead of fondant, and she was asking how to pull this off, and still make it look good.

I think she's going to do just fine, though. I also think if her daughter can taste a fondant that "isn't" wilton, she might just like it. icon_biggrin.gif

Holly

Letmebeurdesignr Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:31am
post #16 of 20

omg yall are wonderful..thanks a bunch..i just made a babyshower cake and havent really had time to look for anything w/the topsy turvy one...yall are so much help..thanks a bunch

ps. go check out my babyshower cake and lemme know what you think..i wasnt to sure about the diagonal but i think it turned out good..

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:02am
post #17 of 20

you can use cutters to make the imprint and then pipe it in w/bc. you're gonna have to use fondant or gumpaste to make the bow though.

Sarsi Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 5:25am
post #18 of 20

Hollyanna70, not trying to be a jerk, but just lettin ya know that she did ask for tips on how to support the cake. Those tutorials show that better than I could explain it myself! icon_redface.gif

Quote:
Quote:

ive never done a topsy turvy cake nor have a done a tier cake..im kinda scared and gonna need all the help i can get from the CC members..lol...anybody got any ideas for how to dowel the topsy turvy cakes?

Hollyanna70 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 5:40am
post #19 of 20

My fault completely. I didn't see that post. I spent a while looking for the recipe link, and probably had the reply window open while she was posting that. (I tend to do about 8 things at once, so it takes me a while)

My apologies. I wasn't trying to be rude, I just thought her post had been misunderstood. I'm sorry if I came across that way. After re-reading what I wrote, I can see how it could be taken negatively.

Sadly, there is no tone in text.

Holly

Sarsi Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 5:50am
post #20 of 20

LOL.. its okay!! I was probably just defending myself so as to not look like an idiot...not knowing what I'm talking about!! icon_biggrin.gif Those are rare and precious moments to me!! They dont happen often!! LOL!!

I know what you mean about doing 8 things at once, but if it were me talking, I probably would say 50 billion things at once! I love to exagerate! I'm usually chatting IM, reading emails, searching ebay, texting hubby, on the phone...all at the same time. LOL!! icon_biggrin.gif

I wasnt trying to sound mean either. Sorry if I made you feel bad!! Not intended AT ALL!!

Sorry for hijaking your thread, but please please please post photos on here!! I'm really anxious to see how it turns out!! I LOVE whimsical cakes!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%