How To Get Coupler/tips Out Of Icing Bags

Decorating By oneposhbabychef Updated 8 Nov 2006 , 1:26am by Momofjakeandjosh

oneposhbabychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneposhbabychef Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 20

I may just be a moron, but each time I make a cake it takes me 20 minutes trying to get my couplers out of my disposable icing bags.

I have to use scissors to cut it, but my scissor get icing all over them and I get icing all over my hands and in the end it's just a big icing mess!!

How do you all get your couplers out of disposable bags? Is there a trick to it? I'm tired of spending so much time doing that and I hate getting my hands all messy.

19 replies
Liz42964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz42964 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 20

I have been taking a cake decorating class and have the same dilema. I just turn the bags inside out while running it under hot water. The hot water helps rinse most of the frosting away, but it still makes a little mess.

harleyjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harleyjo Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 20

I would love to know the answer to this myself. I have the same problem. I dread having a lot of different colored icings.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 20

Maybe this will help. Before filling your bag take a piece of saran wrap and put your icing in there. wrap it up burrito style then put it in your bag. Then when you are finished just pull out the saran wrap and throw it away then turn your bag inside out and remove your coupler. You will still get some icing on your hands but it should be better. Some people even reuse their disposable bags.
HTH Melissa

oneposhbabychef Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 20

I tried burrito wrapping my icing and it is a lot neater but that takes time and money too. I hate having that extra step but I also hate having icing all over my hands too!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 20

The way I do it is ( and I am by no means an expert), I take the tip and the outer part of the coupler off. I take as much of the left over icing out as possible, I then take the bag right at the top part of the coupler and squeeze the bag while pushing it and it normally comes out pretty easy with very little mess. It makes sense to me but I not sure if this makes sense to anyone else.LOL.
Good luck!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 20

mcalhoun wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Some people even reuse their disposable bags.

Made me chuckle. My mom use to reuse the plastic tableware also. My sisters and I would lament everytime we had to wash and dry them (B4 dishwasher.)

Geeze the point is disposable and I still don't get it. icon_confused.gif

2rsws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2rsws Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 20

I always rubber band the top of my bags so when it is time to get the coupler out I turn the bag upside down and push the icing/frosting to the top of the bag. Cut the bag close to the coupler and then either save or toss the rest of the icing and the coupler is easy to get out.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 20

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ...the only mess free way I found was to make my 14 yr old do it FOR me! ....no mess on my hands!

but he does it this way too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcmulle

The way I do it is ( and I am by no means an expert), I take the tip and the outer part of the off. I take as much of the left over icing out as possible, I then take the bag right at the top part of the and squeeze the bag while pushing it and it normally comes out pretty easy with very little mess. It makes sense to me but I not sure if this makes sense to anyone else.LOL.
Good luck!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 20

I had to laugh, too. This must be one of the biggest pains there is to cake decorating. I use regular bags most of the time, to clean them I rinse them in hot soapy water with a bit of vinegar to get rid of the majority of the icing before I attempt to recover the coupler. I turn the bag as in side out as I can and then poke at the coupler, it usually drops free with a minimum of fuss.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 20

I use the saran wrap method all the time with my disposable bags so I can reuse several times and save money, clean up is a breeze and I can store any unused icing in the saran wrap burrito, use twist tie to close and store in zip-lock bag. I wish I could remember the lady who originally brought up the idea cause she posted pictures on how to do. Oh yea, it makes easier to get tips off.

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:23pm
post #12 of 20

I just turn it inside out with running hot water over it to get most of the icing off just like liz.Its a little messy but it's not so bad

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:39pm
post #13 of 20

What works well for me is to take the tip and the outer ring off. I then squeeze as much icing as I can out. After this I run hot water in the bag for a few seconds. This melts the remaining icing. I then turn the bag upside down and the coupler comes right out. Not much mess, more water. icon_smile.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 20

I never reuse my disposables so when I'm done I go to the kitchen sink and run hot hot water and squeeze until it pops out the bottom. The hot water is for any icing that is left in the top there that will sqirt out as your are pushing and squeezing to get it out. Hope this helps.

oneposhbabychef Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:44pm
post #15 of 20

I will try the inside out method next time but I always dread having to get the coupler out!

Maybe I don't cut my bag enough because it seems very hard tring to get the coupler out?

annamata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annamata Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:51pm
post #16 of 20

Try turning it inside out. This should work.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 12:45am
post #17 of 20

I use a knife and slit along the seam from the coupler down.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 1:10am
post #18 of 20

I fill the sink with hot soapy water (Dawn works BEST) and let them soak while I wipe up the rest of the area. Then turn inside out, and most of the mess is taken care of.

mdelmauro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdelmauro Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 1:22am
post #19 of 20

I squeeze out as much of the frosting as I can then fill a bowl with the hottest tap water I can get and DAWN. Take the outside ring and tip off and drop in the water, put the bag with coupler into the water with the tip end down and standing upright, let it soak while doing other clean up. Pull up out of hot water and push the coupler back into the bag and it will plop into the water with very little frosting on your hands.

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 1:26am
post #20 of 20

When I use the disposable bags, I cut them right above the coupler, then I make a vertical slit down the bag coming off the coupler and just peel it off. It does get icing on my scissors, but I just stick them in the dishwasher with everything else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%