Oh No!!!!

Decorating By jl5949 Updated 7 Sep 2007 , 8:54pm by KellyAnne1284

jl5949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jl5949 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 4

Husband just called. He took my MMF covered cake out of the fridge. (4:15PM). Delivery is at 6:30 PM. He said it ran a little in the back and that the cake is very shiney. Will this go away. I thought it was just suppose to sweat in the fridge and then disapate... Please comfort me as I'm at work and won't even see it until 6:00 PM.

3 replies
cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 4

The shiney is probably sweat get him to put a fan on it to dry the condensation. Also tell him to not touch it. I don't know about the running part?

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 4

What do you mean by 'ran' at the back? Was it colouring that has run?

The shiny look is because the fondant has been in the fridge. It will have condensation droplets over it when it gets warmer. This will dry out, but usually needs about a day to dry out properly. The important thing is not to touch the icing when it is like this as it will mark.

KellyAnne1284 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyAnne1284 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 4

I never, ever, ever refrigerate fondant covered cakes. You're really not supposed to. The condensation builds up under the fondant after you take it out of the fridge and not only does that leave room for mistakes in the decor, but it also makes for a very soggy atmosphere inside there for that cake. I would suggest next time that you don't refrigerate. So long as you don't use a buttercream with real milk in it, you don't have to refrigerate it. A fondant covered cake will stay fresh at room temp. for up to a week (although I prefer to only leave it out a max of 3-4 days).

Sorry this happened! I hope it all works out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%