6X Vs 10X Powdered Sugar

Decorating By CakemanOH Updated 1 Jul 2013 , 12:45am by JoMama

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 6:14am
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoov

I use CH powdered sugar....don't sift....and my buttercream is wonderful. I use half butter and half Crisco.

I'm with you! I do the very same thing and have people rave about it's taste and texture (if you believe that!)

Thank you for clearing that up though! I appreciate it! As I get more experience under my belt and am able to experiment with my different options I'll definately give the different versions (if you will) of sugar a try!!!!!

Amy

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 8:31am
post #32 of 35

i also use regular 10x powdered sugar , crisco and butter...i havent noticed a gritty feel ...but now im wondering what the other would be like..it may be a case of you dont notice a difference until you have tried the other....but im like so many other people and cant even find that kinda stuff around here...all i have close are grocery store bakerys and walmart...i have asked both of them about hi ratio shortening and they had no idea what i was talking about...go figure...

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 7:54pm
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Quote:

I wonder if the 6x powdered sugar would still mix okay if I use the hi-ratio shortening (Sweetex) and not the icing base (since I'm having difficulty getting a hold of it).

It will mix fine. The idea behind using hi ratio is it is able to absorb and hold the hi ratio of sugar and water.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 8:06pm
post #34 of 35

Tiff, I am guessing you are right, you won't know the difference until you try the hi-ratio stuff, then you won't want to go back to the regular!! I am afraid that will happen, so maybe I shouldn't try it!! haha! I WISH I had a cake supply store around here like a lot of you have... can anyone suggest the names of popular ones so I can search for the closest location. It would be worth the drive if I made it a day trip and found lots of stuff I needed!

JoMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoMama Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 12:45am
post #35 of 35

Crisco went to zero trans fat and that greatly affected the stability of my icing for stacked cakes. I found an alternative at Wal Mart, but, it still wasn't as stable as I wanted for wedding cakes. I purchased Alpine Hi-ratio shortening and it solved my problem. It works up very smoothly and holds up to the warm summer temps. I ran across the 6x confectioners sugar when researching bulk options. After reading this thread and seeing the price savings, I am going to give it a try, because, I've been having lumping problems, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%