Gumpaste And Fondant Novice

Decorating By Jenuhlyn Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 7:11pm by springlakecake

Jenuhlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenuhlyn Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 4

For a few years now I've been making cakes and cookie cakes on request for friends and family; however, I've recently been asked to make a wedding cake that looks like one Duff made a few episodes back. icon_surprised.gif

I've never used fondant and gumpaste before icon_cry.gif . What are the differences? What about this chocolate stuff I've seen used? Does it taste funny?

I'm totally new on the way that fondant and gumpaste works, but I'm willing to try some new things.

And if anyone has any tidbits of information to share, I'd be totally grateful! icon_biggrin.gif

Jen

3 replies
DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 4

Fondant is used to cover cakes and sometimes uesed for decorations. Gumpaste dries hard and is typically used to make flowers. I use marshmallow fondant. It tastes pretty good. There are a lot of CC members that use Satin Ice fondant and swear by it.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 4

If you are talking about modeling chocolate, it's used mostly for figures and harder things, as is gumpaste. The difference in those is that chocolate tastes good and gumpaste dries very hard and is not really to eat. It is usually used for flower arrangements and bows or mixed with fondant to make fondant dry harder for figure work.

If you are to cover a cake with fondant, please practice first. It takes a little getting used to. There are some very good tutorials here at CC.

Good luck!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 4

Yes. Please practice a few times with fondant. It is pretty easy, but you need practice! (especially for a wedding cake!) But you can do it, I taught myself.

Fondant to cover the cake. Depending on what the decorations are fondant or gumpaste. I havent used modeling chocolate, so I am not really a lot of help there. If you want the decorations to be nice and hard (not eaten) use gumpaste. If you want them to remain sort of soft and be cut and eaten with the cake, use fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%