Tips For Cutting Cake Into A Shape

Decorating By erinlynn22 Updated 24 Jul 2005 , 11:33pm by KATE39

erinlynn22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinlynn22 Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 14

I'm making a Butterfly cake for a friend of mine for her birthday (just like her mom used to make when she was a kid). She loves yellow cake, so i just bought some boxes of Duncan Hines and i'm going to make them up tonight. I have a picture of a butterfly blown up that i'm going to cut the cake into the shape of. This cake will be 1 layer. Does anyone have any tips for making the cutting and icing as easy as possible?

Thanks, and i hope everyone enjoys the weekend.
Erin[/b]

13 replies
meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 14

I love cutting my own cakes I always bake the cake in the am refridge during the day and cut it at night it seems that after I refridgerate it it is less likely to crumble. That always works best for me.

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 14

IF YOU GO TO BRIGHTIDEAS.COM AND GO TO EASTER AND THEN RECIPES, IT HAS THE DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO CUT THE BUTTERFLY OUT .

Thalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thalia Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 14

Hi..I am also interested in what the more advanced decorator's (than myselficon_smile.gif advice is on this topic as well. Did you see the article on sculpting the baby in the flower pot on this site? She has pictures included to show how she does it. What I had thought, was that it may be easier to do if the cake is frozen...??

Thalia

erinlynn22 Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 14

Kate, Thanks for the link to Brightideas.com. That is amuch easier way to make the cake then i had planned. I think i'll do it that way.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 14

I definitely agree that cutting the cake will be much easier when it is frozen. A thawed cake tends to crumble and tear when I cut mine.

KATE39 Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 14

YOU'RE WELCOME ERIN. GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE POST A PICTURE WHEN YOU HAVE IT DONE!

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 14

Kate just LOVE the Brightideas website. . .thanks for the tip

erinlynn22 Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 14

I will post pictures. I probably won't be doing the decorating. I'm just making the cake and cutting it, i might put the base cote of icing on but i'm going to buy candies for my friend to decorate the cake with so she can make it like it was when she was a child. It should be alot of fun (that and the girls night we are having for her birthday)

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 14

I also checked out the bright ideas web site I got some good ideas from there!! Thanks so much Kate!!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 14

I freeze mine before cutting but if it is frozen solid it is hard to cut through if you are cutting in the middle of the cake.

Deb

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 23 Jul 2005 , 1:27am
post #12 of 14

When I did my bass cake I stacked two 9x13 with frosting in the middle and froze it. The cake stayed together as I cut it in to the shape I wanted.

Fruitloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fruitloop Posted 23 Jul 2005 , 1:31am
post #13 of 14

I freeze my cakes as well before I carve them out. I also trace the outline of the picture on some parchment paper and use that as my outline for cutting the cake. You just place it on the cake and cut around it. It works really well and you can cut a cake in any design that way.

KATE39 Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 11:33pm
post #14 of 14

YOU ARE ALL SO WELCOME ABOUT THE BRIGHTIDEAS WEB SITE. IT IS VERY COOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%