Great Value Shortening

Decorating By bertha40j Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 11:59am by CakeMommyTX

bertha40j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bertha40j Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:13am
post #1 of 23

I bought some at Walmart last night and it has 0 trans fat. I got the all vegetable kind. I wonder if I picked up the wrong one. I hope they have not followed Crisco. Anyone know if I picked up the wrong kind?
Thanks

22 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:20am
post #2 of 23

Nope, they hopped on the ol' bandwagon n went sans trans fat.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:24am
post #3 of 23

Oh great!!!! Now what I switched from crisco and was content now I don't know what I'm going to do...

bertha40j Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:25am
post #4 of 23

I was afraid that was going to happen. I didn't look at it until I got home. I guess I will look in my local grocery store and see what brand they have that has tran fat in it.
Thanks so much for your reply

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:27am
post #5 of 23

I think there might be a thread on the subject. Cant' remember where it is exactly but you could do a seard for "trans fat" or "crisco" in the forums.

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:37am
post #6 of 23

my local grocery carries a brand called "bake rite" that has 1 g trans fat...and it works great...

and at walmart, I found another brand called "richtex", also with 1g trans fat and it also works wonderfully...

I dont think its a particular brand name thats key, its just finding one that still has the 1g of trans fat like the old crisco

HTH...good luck

Wandao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandao Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:04am
post #7 of 23

There was a thread on this recently and the solution to using the zero trans fat was to use milk instead of water.

bertha40j Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:04am
post #8 of 23

Thanks for all your help, I will look for the other shortening and also try milk. Sorry I did not see the other thread.
Thanks again

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:54am
post #9 of 23

I use half and half, I think the extra fat helps....

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:26am
post #10 of 23

I bought some Sweetex and I do not like it. Now I have a whole 50 lb box sitting in my pantry. I went back to Crisco. I used a recipe similar to indydebs with dream whip. I used half and half and some cream and a little M.P. I made it for frosting my cake. It is sitting in my fridge until next week. I was real careful and I did not have many air bubbles. I did not like the taste of Sweetex. I will do some more experimenting later. I do like the idea of not having trans fat, I know it is not the best for us. I also noticed my 0 trans fat Crisco seemed a little stiffer out of the can. It is finally cooling off here now in Idaho so that may help too.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:42am
post #11 of 23

Well, I knew it would happen. Wish now that I had purchased more of the Great Value. It was working out well for me. I have used Richtex also but didn't like it as well. I am beginning to think the best thing for me to do is quit decorating altogether. I don't do that much anyway.

Will check out our Walmart to see if they have any trans fat GV left.

Diane

**Moderator edited for language** icon_wink.gif

arahsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arahsa Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:45am
post #12 of 23

I must be missing the big story. This is the second Forum that I have ran across where people have been talking about 0 trans fat. Is that a bad thing? I am TOTALLY LOST!

aurasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aurasmom Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:49am
post #13 of 23

I am glad I got my shortning for the wedding cake ahead of time. Try Piggly Wiggly brand if you have a store near by.

iris711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris711 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:05am
post #14 of 23

I also confused with the recipe using 0 trans fat crisco. My old recipe was 2 cups of criso (with the trans fat), 1/2 cup water, 2 lb of powder sugar, flavor, and a pinch of salt. This used to work great for me. piping was easy and coloring it too. I'm baking this weekend. icon_sad.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:37am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by arahsa

I must be missing the big story. This is the second Forum that I have ran across where people have been talking about 0 trans fat. Is that a bad thing? I am TOTALLY LOST!

It's been a huge topic of debate the past couple of months among decorators. I've been using the zero trans Crisco since I started in June and had no problems with it. But I keep hearing about how much better icing is with trans fat shortening. Last night I had to make a cake and I got the generic Fry's brand shortening (2g Trans Fat) to try out to see if there really is a noticeable difference.

Well, I noticed a difference...my icing was a weepy mess. Despite chilling my cake before icing it still would not stick and I had HUGE air bubbles. I also had to add a full tablespoon of emulsion to the batch in order for the taste to barely register icon_confused.gif It smelled and looked just fine so I don't think it was a bad batch of shortening. The end result was a good tasting icing either way.

I'm probably the exception and not the rule, though. Either way, I do think the Zero Trans controversy is a little overhyped and will continue to stay with Crisco once I use up this tub I bought. But I also think that there should be both Trans and Zero Trans shortenings available. I live in a very dry climate so maybe Trans is needed as a stabilizer in more humid environments? (Just a theory...)

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 7:49am
post #16 of 23

you know...i was wondering why everyone was fussing about crisco and it changing. i use nothing but crisco and have no problems at all. i couldn't understand why every one was having problems with it, then i read this thread and found that some are using water instead of milk. crisco is oil, and oil and water don't mix. is that why others have problems with crisco??? are you using water? now it all makes sense. i couldn't figure it out why so many have complained about crisco. icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

bertha40j Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:14am
post #17 of 23

I have decorated cakes on and off for the last 20 years, never used anything but water. I guess with the old crisco it was fine, but now with no trans fat it does not work for me. I made a cake last weekend and my icing was not the same. The next one I make I am going to use milk and see if that makes a difference. I hope it does because I don't like it the way it was on my last cake.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

faerieelf2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faerieelf2 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:24am
post #18 of 23

I have done a little experimenting with the crisco and have found that when i make my standard recipie if i add another cup of sugar that it works wonderfully. Also i was short on crisco for a cake by 1/2 a cup making my recipie but didn't change anything else it worked as well with out problems...maybe that will help

honeybearcreek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybearcreek Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:26am
post #19 of 23

You're right, water and oil/fat don't mix, but it does mix with the powdered sugar! I've only known 0 Trans Fat Crisco and love my buttercream icing. No melting, no greasy aftertaste. Love it! Love it!

Hugs,
Diana in VA

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:01am
post #20 of 23

Save a lot still has trans fat in there's and I think it's like 3 grams!!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:33am
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybearcreek

You're right, water and oil/fat don't mix, but it does mix with the powdered sugar! I've only known 0 Trans Fat Crisco and love my buttercream icing. No melting, no greasy aftertaste. Love it! Love it!

Hugs,
Diana in VA

do you only use crisco or do you add butter?...i just do the crisco, and like you said...love it!!!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:37am
post #22 of 23

I have had no problems with the 0-trans fat crisco AND water. I use my whip and mix on #8 on my KA for two minutes.

Also, I'm not crazy about GV shortening. Wal mart's price for the five pound can of Crisco brand is pretty good in my opinion.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:59am
post #23 of 23

This whole topic is new to me, but I use the GV brand veg shortening and water and have never had any problems with taste, texture etc.
I was actually just saying to my self " wow it is alot easier decorating with this icing that it is with the canned stuff". I have just recently begun to take my cake decorating seriously and the bc recipe I use is the first I found online and I love it, 1c butter 1c shortening,2tbl water, 2 tsp clear vanilla,1 tsp butter flavoring, 2lbs powdered sugar. It spreads even and pipes beautifully. I could'nt be happier with it, and I have no idea if my shortening has trans fat or not, and I'm to lazy to go check icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%