Edible Image Printer

Decorating By motheroftwo Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 3:55am by GI

motheroftwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motheroftwo Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 35

Hi guys....I've been reading up on the edible image printer. How many of you have one of these and are they worth the money? Any suggestions on where to buy one and what kind to get? Thanks in advance for all information provided. Have a good day!

34 replies
kimkait Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkait Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 35

I have an epson c88+, bought it at staples , I buy the frosting sheets from kopykake(so far) and I love it. I use it for cakes and cookies, and I now hav 10 edible image plaques (from Boween's tutorial) on my kitchen table for my nieces b-day this weekend.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 35

I have the epson cx4200 all in one that I bought new on ebay for $60 and I love it. I also got my ink and frosting sheets from kopykake. If you want to get a chip resetter they are musch less expensive on ebay then from kopykake.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 35

this might be a dumb question, but can any printer be an edible printer as long as it's only used for that?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 35

Only certain canon and epson printers are supported. If you go to kopykake's web site it lists the printers that you can get edible ink for. HTH

TheresaXXX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaXXX Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:09am
post #6 of 35

KopyKake won't tell you this, but pretty mcuh all printer ink is non-toxic. Call the customer service number on the ink cartridge refill box and ask if you need to be worried that your child (dog, goat, etc.) chewed up a card you'd printed a picture on. Most likely they will tell you it's fine, nothing to worry about, the ink is non-toxic.

I know a number of decorators who print their "edible" images on icing sheets in their regular printer.

The bonus is that the regular printer ink makes a much better image than the "edible" ink.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:25am
post #7 of 35

I've never heard this before...that regular printer ink is non-toxic? Is that really true? I mean, I'm not doubting you, just am very surprised...

I have an HP printer with print cartridges I purchase thru Walmart. So are you saying I can potentially use these ink cartridges to print directly onto the edible sheets??

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:26am
post #8 of 35

That's a new one for me as far as using regular ink.

Kopykake did tell me that there was no safety issue in using either a refurbished or used printer. It never occurred to me to ask about using regular ink.

I have an Epson cx7800 and am very pleased with it.

TheresaXXX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaXXX Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:24am
post #9 of 35

Yep ... same as Crayola markers are non-toxic (and about a third of the price of "food" markers).

GI Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:31am
post #10 of 35

Wow, it just doesn't sound right, ya know? To be using markers that my kids use in school...same kind (only new, of course!) on the cakes & such. Seems like I should be using 'food safe' products. I don't know, just sound strange. So do you decorate your cookies with new marker pens, also?

Have you ever talked to anyone else about this?

I had a brother pass away last year from long term illness, so I guess I'm hyper-aware of certain things... not saying this causes illness, but you know what I mean..

Starr_Brite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starr_Brite Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:40am
post #11 of 35

I have regular marking pens that I use only for cakes/cookies. No one has had a problem from me using them. But I do only bake for my friends and family.

There are a lot of "safe" products in every day food that are way worse for you than anything in a marker you can trust for your 3 year old. Artificial sweeteners ... high fructose corn syrup ... I'd just as soon suck on the marker, to be honest.

GI Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:00am
post #12 of 35

Interesting. I guess I've just never heard of it before! I think I'll try it out on myself first!! ha ha!!!

........I guess I'd never make it on Survivor and have to eat weird stuff, huh!!!! LOL!!! icon_lol.gif

Starr_Brite Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:21am
post #13 of 35

The instructor I had when I took the Wilton classes actually told me to use regular markers. She also mentioned the thing about the regular printer ink.

GI Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:15pm
post #14 of 35

Wow!! icon_surprised.gif

An instructor!! icon_eek.gif

Is there anyone else here on CC that's done this? Used regular non-toxic Crayola Markers to decorate their tasty treats? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

justme50 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:21pm
post #15 of 35

I haven't but I wouldn't have a problem using non toxic markers. It's no different than using non toxic chalk for dusting powder.

I'm still thinking about the ink thing though. icon_wink.gif

GI Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:27pm
post #16 of 35

I would think using my trusty-Walmart printer onto edible rice paper would be terrific if I could "get over" the fact I am using the same ink to print out my daughter's homework!! icon_confused.gif

I've just never heard of this and still wish others who do edible imaging to post their comment, please! icon_smile.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:35pm
post #17 of 35

I'm not sure about the regular ink being used for edible images. It just doesn't sound quite right. I have a printer that I use for edible images, but have never even considered using regular ink!

Starr_Brite Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:33pm
post #18 of 35

If it bugs you, don't do it. If you're curious, call the number on the ink box. I don't think anyone can or will tell you on-the-record that it's OK, since it's not FDA approved as food safe. But they can tell you if there's a problem with someone ingesting the ink. You be the judge from there.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:44pm
post #19 of 35

do any of you who own printers used for edible images use them quite often, and if not, do you have a problem with them gunking up and needing any special cleaners?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:59pm
post #20 of 35

I own a printer for edible images. You cannot use the same ink. You cannot even use the same printer. My DH did the research and bought my supplies at www. photofrost.com

I almost forgot.. I bought this e-book on eBay and it is an awesome source of information for anyone considering this investment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/From-Printer-to-Cake-Edible-Image-Decorating-E-Book_W0QQitemZ220147927239QQihZ012QQcategoryZ46281QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:23pm
post #21 of 35

I am confused.......when I saw the cake decorator store was selling the very same chalk set I use for scrapbooking, intending it to be used on flowers, etc. I was surprised. I understand non-toxic but isn't non-toxic different from 'food safe' or 'edible'?

Does that mean I can use a non-toxic child's marker for my cookies instead of waiting for the store to special order them since they are ALWAYS out? If so, I am off to Target right this minute icon_biggrin.gif 'cuz I have been dying to use a black one on fondant....

As for the printer issue, I really don't know. Some of these photo cakes are loaded with color - if you use regular printer ink and serve someone a piece that is literally covered in color, doesn't that seem odd? Doesn't that seem like a lot of ink to ingest? icon_rolleyes.gif

Also, has anyone used this http://www.tastyfotoart.com/faqs1.htm site for their supplies? They use wafer paper and say you don't need to run a cleaning program, etc.

GI Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 2:43am
post #22 of 35

I'm going to bump this up!

I'm still curious on all this? Why do folks invest alot of cash for a separate printer & ink cartridges if they could do it from their regular printer?

Wouldn't want to cause a stomach ache? I always thought Non Toxic was NOT the same as Food Safe. icon_confused.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 2:56am
post #23 of 35

I have to confess that years ago for my daughters B-day cake I used my regular printer with regular ink and printed a photo image. We ate the cake and we're all fine.

Jacqui

GI Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:04am
post #24 of 35

What did you print it on? Did it gunk up your printer? Did your family get all wierded out knowing they were eating Bic ink? icon_lol.gif

I know when I did different colors on my photo cakes, the printer at the grocery store didn't give me a 'true' color.

Has anyone ever asked the professional EI supplier what type of ink they are using?

Lots of questions!!

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:20am
post #25 of 35

last time you decided to buy some extra high quality crayons for your kids, a varnish for your custom-made new furniture or an insecticide for your organic garden, were you not drawn to the products saying in big letters "Non-Toxic" on the label? Didnt it give you comfort to know somebody else cares too ?
You better think again. Sure, manufacturers of chemical products have recognized that the attribute "non-toxic" has become a selling point and is perceived as a seal of quality. But who makes sure that this fact is not abused and who defines what non-toxic means in practical terms? Does it mean the product is edible in any quantity? Does it mean the product is safe if used as intended or does it just mean the product is not as hazardous as others in this category?

The reality is that it can mean any of these definitions and hundreds more.

Hi all .just to be on safe side I would advice not to use normal ink.As for using chalk for dusting flowers ,no one in there right mind eats all thoes fondant or gum paste flowers .The only little dust that falls on cake is eaten if ever.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:33am
post #26 of 35

I did use wafer paper. It was years ago, I'm thinking 10-15 years ago. I think HP or someone came out with the edible printble paper in the office supply stores and I was a bit naive. It wasn't clear as to what to use to "print" with so I just used my printer. I was a bit uneasy about it but I figured it couldn't be that much ink that we were consuming...yep...I know I was taking a chance but like I said I was young and naive at the time. So far though there's been no side effects. I wouldn't do it again though.
Jacqui

justme50 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:45am
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Quote:

As for using chalk for dusting flowers ,no one in there right mind eats all thoes fondant or gum paste flowers .The only little dust that falls on cake is eaten if ever.

I was comparing using chalk and using non toxic coloring pens, not ink for printers.

I agree, using regular ink for edible images makes me uneasy. I have no problem with using refurbished or used printers though and have been assured by kopykake (who would make more money if they sold me the printer) that there is no safety issue with that.

A better suggestion for cutting costs, as far as I'm concerned, is to use airbrush coloring for refilling your edible ink cartridges. That's cheaper than using regular ink and is certainly approved food safe.

My understanding of the terms "food safe" vs "non-toxic" is that non-toxic means that it is not poisonous, yet not meant to be ingested. In other words, don't eat it, but it won't kill you if you do.

Some paints are non toxic, but I wouldn't suggest tipping the can up and taking a gulp while painting the walls. icon_wink.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 6:00am
post #28 of 35

I don't know how many of ya'll are hobby bakers or business owners. If I used regular printer ink, non edible markers & chalk the health department would have me paying fines and shut me down quicker than I could blink.

It's worth the price to pay for peace of mind not only for me but for my customer.

How many of you would eat a cake with non edible inks on them? If I were at a party and consumed something I later found out were not approved for edible use I'd be livid.

Yes I know there are foods out there that are probably way worse but the fact something was passed off as edible when indeed the FDA has not approved it for consumption is a very dangerous game to play.

Especially in an era where everyone and their brother is lawsuit happy... that is a huge "emotional and mental" stress lawsuit waiting to happen.

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 6:35am
post #29 of 35

ok this actually shocked me at first about the regular ink or washable marker thing then about 30 seconds later i remember that we almost all use luster dust ... which is labled as a NON FOOD product but it"non toxic" and some of us brush an entire cake in this stuff .... this luster dust is an non food and as artificial as anything else i suppose .... as long as it is "non toxic" really i suppose it shouldn't matter ...

does that mean we can use elmers glue to assemble our cake layers LMAO .. on I was j/k about that last statement.

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 6:40am
post #30 of 35

found this on a website about toxic ink ....
Recycling Epson Inkjet Printer and Ink Cartridges
In North America, Epson is offering to recycle used cartridges, which of course is a great idea; however they are charging a fee to the consumer to do so. Most consumers would argue as to why they should pay to recycle the Epson cartridges when they wish to return them for recycling. One such company that is currently working on a viable solution to re-use empty Epson cartridges is Printcountry.com. Their new recycling program focuses greatly on ways to successfully recycle Epson ink cartridges. When Epson ink cartridges are returned they are usually messy and difficult to be disassembled. They also have a strong smell which is emitted in the air by the remaining ink. This makes it a problem storing them in a warehouse and to work on, however Printcountry.com is determined to find a way to reuse the Epson cartridges. Printcountry.com does offer a buyback program for recycling other ink cartridges like Hewlett Packard and Canon models, but Epson cartridges that are taken back have no value other than they will be used to research a way that they can be recycled. Recycling Epson ink cartridges is definitely not a waste of time as the ones thrown away add to the millions that end up in landfills annually. In landfills they leak their toxic ink into the soil making it difficult to use if environmental restoration is to take place there later on. The ink can also make its way into waterways killing fish, frogs and other aquatic life. Recycling Epson cartridges is an issue that needs to be looked at more closely and an appropriate answer needs to be found. The solution is near, but in the mean time people should consider recycling the alternative models by such companies as Hewlett Packard, Cannon and Lexmark since there is already an established recycling market for these cartridges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%