Satin Ice . . . Melted?

Business By UGoCakes Updated 5 Sep 2007 , 9:15pm by UGoCakes

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 8

I made a cake with dried SI flowers on it for a customer and I had a few left over. So I used one for a cake for my family at home. We did not eat the flower the same day I attached it to the cake - iced in BC.

The next evening when we went for another piece of cake the flower had literally melted. It was on the edge of the peice and had dripped down the side!?

I am new to SI, is this common? I live in FL but the cake was in the house on the counter the whole time. Does the grease from BC break down SI? is that what caused it? If so how long will SI last on BC before this occurs? This is my 1st time using SI and I sold the cake to a customer, I hope she didn't have any problems. icon_redface.gif

7 replies
schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 8

i've had regular fondant flowers "melt" onto a dummy cake. It was humid and hot. Even my gumpaste dummy teapot lost the curl in the handle. It used to be shaped like a question mark, now its a crooked exclamation mark.

UGoCakes Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 8

We had the cake lightly covered with plastic wrap, Do you think the moisture from the cake got to it?

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 8

I once made cupcakes for a wedding and made fondant hearts fjor each cupcake and the drooped once I closed the covers on the cupcake carriers. I believe the fondant asborbed the moisture so I dont cover it anymore with anything but paper towel.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 8

I had marshmallow fondant droop once from the heat. I had also used a little water and pearl dust too though. So I just figured it was between the heat in the car (just on the drive with the AC - I wasnt silly enough to leave it in the hot car) and the extra moisture from the water. I wonder if I could have used vodka instead, or if the heat was the major factor.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 8

mmgiles--Never use water on fondant unless you are glue another piece of fondant to it. Fondant isnt water based. You can use Vodka. I use lemon extract. You can also use pipng gel as glue on fondant pieces. icon_biggrin.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 8

I put a satin ice covered cake in a cake carrier and kept it shut over night and it did the same thing...kinda melted and drooped. The moisture was too much for it and it broke down.
Now I cover fondant cakes with wax paper draped over it loosely in layers with the bottom of cake in a cake box to protect it.

UGoCakes Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 8

thanks everyone, I am glad I learned this now on my own cake and not a customers cake that I spent hours on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%