Why Do So Many Cc'ers Hate Sheet Cakes?

Decorating By alittlesliceofhaven Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 2:14am by splash2splat

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:08am
post #31 of 38

I don't personally care for sheet cakes, but if I make a sheet cake, I end up making 2 tiers & stacking together because I just don't like a single layer of cake with a little icing on top. I like having the filling.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:26am
post #32 of 38

i do whatever the customer asks me to do. most don,t want any fillings in a sheet cake. some do. most of mine want b/c frosting. so therefore i wouldn,t cover it in fondant . that most people hate. i put on the 9x13 or 11x15 or 12x18 cake that they ask me to put. they are paying the money. so i do as they say. i never stack 2 layers, unless i am asked to. why should they pay more for it when they don,t need all that cake. i am happy if they are happy. i don,t just make roses and borders. i make things from fondant- to g/p to chocolate decorations. also edible images if that is what they want. i am happy with what they pay me and they are happy with the results of their cakes.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #33 of 38

When I stack two tiers, the number of servings increases so it's not really more cake. It's just personal preference. At this point, this is not my main job, so I can kinda pick and choose which orders I take. If the customer wants a typical sheet cake, then I just suggest the local bakery. Now, if it was my main source of income...different story. icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:05am
post #34 of 38

For me it has nothing to do with creativity, but money. ALL my cakes are 4" high and therefore have the same per serving price. When someone thinks sheet cake, they think a single layer sheet cake they get from the grocery store, and there fore equate that grocery store price. There is no profit in me to do a single layer sheet cake, cause I can't compete with that grocery store price. Which is what clents will expect.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:17am
post #35 of 38

i get $50.00 for a 9x13 1 layer cake. no filling. its the decorations that make it that price. wal mart, grocery stores. don,t put fondant, g/p. chocolate figures or flowers on their cakes. that is why they are cheaper. $50.00 ain't cheap to me. this is not my main job either. so i can pick and choose like the rest . we all make a choice in what we do. right? lots of beautiful 9x13, 11x15, 12x18 , 1 layer cakes on just this site. no walmart or grocery store looking cakes to me. beautifully decorated. some with american b/c. some with imbc, smbc. some with bettercream,etc. thanh thanh is a shining example.. can,t get any better than her.

Jemoiselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jemoiselle Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:44am
post #36 of 38

I will add my .02 here!

I don't hate sheet cakes per se, I hate the association that people have with them when they come to me and ask me how much I'd charge for one instead of my usual work. That, and the thought of having to put fondant on 22 inches of cake scares me still, hehe. Rookie here! I've done it once and once only, had cornstarch up to my shoulders from moving it! =) It's less to do with shape discrimination lol and more to do with what my work is compared to (or not compared to) that makes it worth $3/serving and up that I charge.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #37 of 38

The sheet cake debate is like the "Box Vs Scratch" debate...there will never be any correct answer because both ways are correct.

I'm one of the pro-sheet cakers. I actually like doing non-tiered cakes in general, or cupcakes. I always draw blanks on what to do with a tiered design, so they stress me out.
I've never had a sheet cake that was just cake only. They've always been filled and had at least two layers. I always torte and fill my cakes, so they are definitely not skimpy.

And it don't matter what shape the cake is or the amount of cake... be it sheet, tiered, or cupcakes... no one ever wants to pay more than $20 for it because I'm not a "professional". *facepalm* (hence why I don't sell them and only do them as gifts. Not worth my time)

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:14am
post #38 of 38

I've never thought much about sheet cakes - but I did just get Sharon Zambito's sheet cake dvd and she has some fun cute ideas - even fun ideas to help with writing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%