Does Anyone Else Have This Problem??

Decorating By DanielleHester Updated 4 Sep 2007 , 2:33pm by DanielleHester

DanielleHester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleHester Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 15

I am new to cake decorating. I have been baking cakes every weekend now just to practice. My husband is so tired of me making cakes. He won't help me with our 11 month old son when I am trying to practice. So have have my son in the kitchen with me running around. I also have sister living with me and everytime I make a cake she wants to help me decorate. I wouldn't mind it if she had the patience to actually do it. For example, I made some cupcakes to go on top of a cake and she didn't want to let them cool before we iced them. so they turned out looking like crap. So this weekend I am making a cake for my nephews bday party and I just know that I am going to have everyone in the kitchen with me trying to help when really I think that I could do a much better job with no one around. So what do i tell every one?

14 replies
Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 15

I think I would wait until they went to bed. lol There's nothing like working in a completely quiet house. =)

patriciaab668 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patriciaab668 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 15

have your sister take the baby to the park or something like that

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 15

What do you tell them??? "Get out of the kitchen" sounds good to me! thumbs_up.gif

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 15

Either do when everyone is down for the night or early in the morning. Also break up into diffrent stages, bake one day,prepare icing and color next day, third day decorate. This way you are not to tired and don't feel so rushed, less stress on you and your family.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 15

Do it at night so the baby will be asleep and send your sister to the movies! Anything to get her out of the way!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 15

YES! YES! YES!...i thought i was the only one that needed to work alone! i have my kids coming in and out...whacha doin mom? whadar ya making this time? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif hubby...staring! icon_eek.gif I CAN'T WORK LIKE THIS!!! icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif
so now i do all my cakes while they are at work and school. AAAAHHH! PEACE AND QUIET! icon_redface.gif

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 15

Is there any possibility that your sister would take your son out of the house for a couple of hours in order to give you some time to get the job done?

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 15

I have a 20 mo. old son so I understand at least that part. The only way I ever decorate is after he is in bed. Makes for some late nights for me but that is the only way I can do it. I can get away with baking while he is awake - just need to mix and get in pans. But that's about it. I even make my icing while he is sleeping - just easier.

As for your sister...unless there is a very large age gap between the two of you, sounds like she should be old enough to know better or at least be able to follow "rules" that you give her - like no decorating while the cake is warm, no fingers in the icing, etc. Maybe she could help with mixing the icing or helping get your bags ready - so that she feels included but doensn't infringe on your project. Or maybe you could bake an extra small layer or a few extra cupcakes for her to work on.

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 15

I don't know how old your sister is, but I have a DD who always wants help. There is a rule...if I am making a cake for our family, she can help. If it is for someone else, she CAN NOT help. Sometimes I will give her some MMF to play with or a piping bag with icing (she pretends to make flowers or whatever on wax paper.) Sometimes if there's enough batter, I'll make a small 4 or 6 inch for her to decorate. Other times I tell her the kitchen is CLOSED to everyone but me. She and her siblings have to find something else to do.

Now that won't work for an 11 month old. I think it's wrong that your DH won't help. Next time he has something he wants to do, put him in charge of baby. Let him see how easy it is to accomplish anything with an 11 month old around.

I'd say try to break your cakes into steps (like someone else mentioned) and work around your child's naps/bedtime. Set some rules for your sister. If she's old enough, ask her to entertain your child a little for $1 an hour (or more if she's older.)

You need and deserve some time to do something you enjoy. I hope you can find a way to make that happen.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:18pm
post #11 of 15

I don't have a solution (sorry), but I do feel your pain!! No matter how many times I tell my husband I want time ALONE to do my cakes and cookies, it never happens! I always end up with the three kids bugging me and him wanting to know why I'm not done yet. Every time I make a cake or cookies I start hating my husband!!

Doing it late at night doesn't work for me. When I put the kids to bed it's time for me to go to bed, too. As a stay-at-home mom, I keep the same schedule as my kids or else I'd be too exhausted!!

I also know what it's like to have a sister living with you. My youngest sister has lived with us on three seperate occasions (for at least a year each time). If she wants to help...she can help by taking care of your baby. Otherwise, tell her to bake her own cakes and decorate her own...you can learn together that way but you will each have your own work!

Jodie

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:24pm
post #12 of 15

Yes, I have the same problem. My husband says he's supportive of me reinventing my life (from lawyer to baker) but it's in words only. He does zero to support my new goals.

He complains that the kitchen is "always" messy, although he's virtually never there and I bake only when he's not home. I decorate in the spare bedroom.

He complains that my decorating supplies are "everywhere" although they are organized in the spare bedroom....and oh yeah, piles of his crap are all around the house.

*sigh* I could go on and on, but I'll spare everyong. I just wanted Danielle to know that she is not alone.

I realize that it's not about the cake at all but really about his fear of me changing, paying less attention to him, etc....nevertheless is quite annoying!

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 15

Tell your sister no, explain to her that you are trying to learn and once you have then you'll show her.

I like the idea of waiting til the baby is in bed or napping. If you can't wait. Then now is a good time to teach him that mommy is working and you need to start learning the rules. My kids know if Mommy is working on a cake then they need to stay out of the way. They are old enough that they like to watch now.

DH mmmm how to get him to help. Does he work during the day? Do it while he's gone. When you get better and start getting commended for your work, he may be able to start pitching in. Mine is helpful now but when I first started I was always hollaring for him.

Deffinately spread it out in a couple things a day. I used to try to do it all in one day and it got old fast. Now if I have a cake due on Sat. I bake on Wed. Crumb coat and make frosting on Thur. Base coat and decorate on Fri. Done to deliver on Sat. Sometimes I have to finish a few last things on Sat. am. This way it's spread out and you don't seem so rushed.

cCc
Mother of 4. 11,8,6,4.

erimsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erimsy Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:30pm
post #14 of 15

i do know what you are going thru and i sympatize, i have a 7yrsold and two very active 5yrs old, a4yr old nephew and an 8yr old neice, you will think i can work around them but i tell you i get a lot of unwanted help so i have to work at night because i have a full time job, and on weekends i give them a fun filled day and we all sleep early and i wake up to work when the house is quiet. you can try that or something similar to suit your schedule. goodluck.

DanielleHester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleHester Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:33pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks guys for all the tips. It is good to know that I am not the only one going through this. My husband and I work completely different schedules. I work a full time job M-F 7:30-4. He works M-F 4 pm to midnight. He watches Eythin (son) while I am at work. So he feels like on the weekends he shouldn't have to help me out. That is why he doesn't really like me doing the cakes i guess. Oh well, he'll get over it one day because I really like doing this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%