What Did Your Kids Like The Best At Disneyland?

Lounge By tobycat Updated 4 Sep 2007 , 6:36pm by FrostinGal

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:34am
post #1 of 5

Okay, we're taking the plunge -- we're going to Disneyland in 2 weeks with our 4 year old daughter and 19 month old son. I haven't been in 17 years! What are some of the things that we definitely shouldn't miss? (We will be there 2 1/2 days.)

S.

4 replies
lakaty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakaty Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:42am
post #2 of 5

I don't know if you will be able to get reservations but if you can.....

A meal at Cinderella's castle is AWESOME! We went to Disneyworld last summer and took my dd(2 1/2 yrs then) and my neice(8years then). The food was terrific at lunch and all the princesses came out and toured around the restaurant, talked and posed with the girls and signed autographs. The girls both got a magic wand and a wishing star. We had photos with Cinderella just before lunch(which of course they bring around to you during lunch so that you can buy them). We were lucky enough to sit by a window and the view was great.

It was a highlight for sure!!!

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:30am
post #3 of 5

wow have a great time. I love disney land. we went when my DD was about the age of your youngest and let me tell you make sure he gets his nap icon_biggrin.gif ofcourse with the age of your kids you will want to spend time in toon town and fantasy land. a favorite ride of mine and my kids has always been peter pans. and if it doesnt scare yours the pirates of caribean is fun. you have to take the time to go over to california adventure much less crowded wider streets all the pixar charecters and lots of little water play areas to cool down in. your picking a great time of year to go. have fun cant wait to hear all about it.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 5

You are going to have a GREAT time. We finally went this past June, after 10 years. I did not want to go. I LOVED IT. You will seriously not recognize it. Bring money. Lots of money. HA!

We went with our DD 14, DS 10, DD 4 and DD 20 months. The two little ones LOVED the teacups, carousel horse (you kiddin' me...all this way and money to ride the carousel?!?!), Dumbo, and the Bugs Life section in California Adventure. I did not get over to the Winnie the Pooh ride b/c I DIDN"T KNOW THEY HAD ONE!!! Argh! Also, Nemo opened the week AFTER we were there, so didn't get to see it. Hope you get to!

HAVE FUN!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 5

First thing, get yourself a copy of Unofficial Guide to Disneyland ASAP!! Pay special attention to the chapter on traveling with small children!!
Get up early, hit the parks at opening, go back to the hotel for a swim and nap early afternoon, then hit the parks again for the evening festivities! Trying to get through the day without the nap will ruin your stay. Trust me on this.
Make sure your hotel has a shuttle to/from the parks. There's lots of ruckus about the walking distance hotels at Disneyland, but don't be fooled. They are all motels, and expensive for what they offer. Save the money on the room, go to a nice hotel with lots of amenities, and spend the money on the tram, if your hotel doesn't already have one free. If you are staying at a Disney resort hotel, you are set. It can still be a trek from Paradise Pier or Disneyland Hotel, but the monorail helps a little if you are going to Disneyland park.
Bring your own collapsable stroller. We use an umbrella type stroller. It's a decent one, extra tall for us, with a basket underneath. That way you will have your stroller outside of the parks, as well. Just fold it up and take it on the monorail or train with you. We even take ours into a show with us if it is raining, so it keeps dry. You can buy stroller covers in case of rain at BabiesRUs.
A large backpack is helpful is keeping all your stuff in one place. You can put it in a locker at the park, but we usually just put ours on the stroller, and carry it onto attractions with us. Do not leave any valuables in your stroller that you do not want stolen!!
Take it slow with the kids if they are not familiar with people in large costumes and darkness with loud noises. At those ages, unless they are incredibly brave, Fantasyland can be scary! The carousel, the Casey Jr. train, the Storybookland boats and Peter Pan are all good. Let them wear something glow in the dark for the darker rides. Be prepared to ride It's a Small World more than once! Look for shows with familiar characters, like storytelling at the castle, etc. Check the guidemaps or check out the website to see what will be available the days you visit. Also check the website to see what attractions will be down for refurbishment the days you visit and prepare the kids for their unavailability.
Autopia will be fun for your 4 year old, as well as Winnie the Pooh ride, Tom Sawyer's Island, the paddle wheel boat/the pirate ship. You should be able to ride pirates, but it may only be once. There is a drop at the beginning. Two actually, but only one has fright potential.
Go to toontown early one day to meet Mickey and Minnie. Chances are your little ones will want to run screaming from the large plastic head, but maybe not. Be prepared for both.
If you or another adult wants to ride something the kids can't ride, do a stroller switch pass. Get in line together until you reach the first ride attendant. Ask him/her for a Stroller Switch Pass. Whoever is waiting takes the little tikes and the pass and does something else until the first adult is done. The pass tells you where to go to ride after the first person is back.
Do nemo first on your first day, it has no fastpass!
Make reservations now for meals. Blue Bayou has an extraordinary setting and the monte cristo sandwich at lunch is one of my favorites. Good clam chowder, too! Try a Mint Julep. Most people love 'em or hate 'em. I am a big fan. Sort of a minty lemon/lime-aid. Go ahead and make reservations at Goofy's Kitchen for character buffet, or the Plaza Inn character breakfast, but make them later, so that you can meet Mickey and see how that goes, first. If they don't respond well to the characters, you won't have a good meal. We miseed character meals for a year until our 3 yr. old got over her fear last year.
Okay, and most importantly, have a blast!! Some of our favorite trips are from when our kids were very little!!
There is a chair in Mickey's house that we take the kids' photos in every trip. You can put the photos together and see how they have grown!
Yes, Disney is my other obsession!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%