New Thing I Learned

Decorating By birdgirl Updated 3 Nov 2006 , 5:47am by BarbaraK

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 15

This has probably been done already, but I learned it by accident. I had a shape I printed from the computer and cut out so I could use toothpicks to poke around the shape onto the cake. I accidently pressed the paper into the icing a little and noticed when it popped up--perfect imprint. So instead of poking around the shape I pressed it down instead and lifted the corner with tweezers--ones I use for cakes. It didn't stick on the crusted buttercream. I am going to use it for a cake this weekend of a scoreboard for the lines and numbers. Then I will fill it in with stars or the basketweave tip--flat side. Just thought I would share since it was so quick and easy.

14 replies
mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 15

Very cool thanks for sharing I'm glad this worked for you !!!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 15

You mean that the imprint made was from the ink in the paper, as you didn't poke holes previously on the paper.Or did you? Please, correct me if I'm wrong, which I usually am.

omicake

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 15

she means that she cut out the shape from the paper and when you lay it on crusted bc and press down it leaves a line from the edge of the paper that leaves a perfect imprint on the bc. I did the same thing for my spiderman cake for the eyes on it.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 15

Omicake,
I re-read her post too and I'm assuming she meant that the SHAPE transferred, not writing, etc. She was poking holes around the shape.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 15

KHalstead hit it on the nose. The ink was facing up--I reverse the print so it is not on the icing. The edge of the paper left the imprint. Press lightly with a finger or a pencil eraser so it goes into the icing a little.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks, KHalstead and vickymacd, LOL.I guess am getting a litlle old and my brain has lost normal speed function.

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 15

good idea, thanks!

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicake

Thanks, KHalstead and vickymacd, LOL.I guess am getting a litlle old and my brain has lost normal speed function.

I thought the same thing when I read it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicake

lol you're funny!! I'm sure your brain is just fine!!! icon_razz.gif

HunBun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HunBun Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:43pm
post #11 of 15

Very cool tip - I never thought about using the outside shape of a cutout. If you also want to leave a slight imprint of patterns within the shape then poke holes with a pin onto the pattern. Then lay the paper on top of the crusted frosting. I learned this on CC too (big surprise).

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:14am
post #12 of 15

I do this all the time. Cut out the image and press it once to get the outside outline, pick it up and cut away part of the image, press it down again to get more outlines, pick up cut away, press down, etc until you have the entire design "drawn" on the cake. Almost all of my character sheet cakes were done that way (i.e. Clifford, Elmo, etc..)

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:21am
post #13 of 15

thanks for the tip

Ishi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishi Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:22am
post #14 of 15

Nice tip! I'll try it next time I have to get a shape just right. Thanks!

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:47am
post #15 of 15

Thanks for the tip. Any tip that saves time and works deserves to be shared around. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%