New Car

Business By auntmamie Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 9:15pm by vickster

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 31

Well, It's time for me to get a new car. (My kia has been at the dealer for 25 days now icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif , so I'm almost to the lemon law point (in VT it's 30 days)). Since I'm starting cake decorating, I'm toying with the idea of a hatchback or small SUV instead of a sedan. I absolutely don't want a minivan or pickup. However, since I live in VT, winter durability is a concern. Oh, and I can't afford over $15000.

So, does anyone on here have recommendations on what to get/not get for transporting cakes? What hatchbacks have good storage room? What cars should I avoid?

TIA

30 replies
snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 31

If it were me, I'd look at a honda fit. It's crazy how much stuff you can put in those things, and they are front wheels drive, so they're good in the snow.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 31

If you're buying it for delivering cakes, then you buy it for "functional", not for "pretty". I would never even consider a "hatchback" type of vehicle for cake delivery.

If you're shopping for a delivery vehicle, then get a delivery vehicle.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 31

Does this need to be your general transportation or just for deliveries?
If it is for general transportation, how many are in your family?

That could help narrow the options. Are you considering used?
Have you considered a Mazda? I read ( I think on CC) that a Chrysler Cruiser is good for cakes. Never been in one myself though. A Saturn Vue or Toyota Matrix, those are both nice with good space in back. You can probably find those used. Not sure are what price point though.
I hope you can find something to suit you! icon_smile.gif

auntmamie Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 31

Thanks for the answers so far!

Indydebi, I don't have the volume to get a delivery van. Plus, my driveway is too small to park anything other than a compact. but thanks for the suggestion.

Lenette, I'm the only one in my family icon_sad.gif, and I'm looking at this for general transport, plus my (approx) once a week delivery.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 31

A while ago, someone here got a new car and had bought , or was considering buying, a Honda Element. Honda has great vehicle reliability. I have been looking at the Element myself. It looks very useful.
http://automobiles.honda.com/element/

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 31

Elements are expensive ( more like $22,000) The fit is in your price range.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 31

We bought a Ford Focus hatchback for my business and family use, and it seems to work well for me. It is GREAT on gas, which in these days is important, and the back seats fold down to practically flat...which means that if I have two weddings to deliver, I can do the two of them together and not have to come home in between to pick up the second cake. Family-wise, it seats 5 comfortably.

SherisEdibleDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SherisEdibleDesigns Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:45am
post #9 of 31

I hate to say it since you are having bad luck, but we just bought a Kia Sorento. Lots of room.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:23am
post #10 of 31

Pontiac Vibe I bought it for deliveries the back seats come down totaly flat not hump betweenthe seat and I can fit lots for deliveries. Same as the Matrix but more options for the price. I just bought one of those large carpet slip mats and it fits the wole back I fold it over when tne seats are up. I did alot of searching and checking around before I made my choice and I love it really good on gas with a whloe lot of room.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:18am
post #11 of 31

In the realm of brand new cars, your budget definately narrows it down. I've never been a new car buyer, so I can offer my view. Research, research, research... check out Consumer Reports car buying guide for reliability and then look at some good used cars. I drive a 1997 Subaru Outback and it's fantastic. I swear I'll never own a mini van either! I know a lot of people swear by their SUV's, but a lot of them are built on a truck frame and ride a little rough. The Outback is all-wheel drive and does great on ice and snow. The back folds down completely flat and offers tons of space!
Just my 2 cents! -Lori

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:23pm
post #12 of 31

Wow, I think I'm in love...with the Honda Element !!! What a shame we don't get them here icon_sad.gif It would probably cost around the $30,000 AUD tho' ,if it was available ( cars are waaay cheaper in the US !! )

cmeridge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmeridge Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:05pm
post #13 of 31

I have a Jeep Liberty. I love it. It is big enough in the back to put cakes on. I am a small person, I am not driving a huge suv or truck. I also live on a dirt road out in the country so I need the 4 wheel drive in the winter. I the price should be in your price range.

bessbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bessbakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:15pm
post #14 of 31

I was in this same situation about a month ago. I test drove an Element with a cake in the back, and the ride was so bumpy, I was really scared for the life of my cake! Needless to say, I decided against that. So I searched and searched, and came across a Mitsubishi Outlander. It's a crossover SUV, but yet still has the gas mileage of a sedan. It has EXCELLENT room and the seats all fold down. Plus, mine has A/C vents in the back! Perfect for those hot days! It was very inexpensive (less than $12k), and the gas mileage is great! It's also a little more on the sporty side, all-wheel drive, and very smooth handling.

Just thought I'd give my 2 cents, as I also was opposed to a minivan.

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:34pm
post #15 of 31

I drive a Nissan Xterra and I LOVE it....big enough for large wedding cakes........and big enough to hold my supplies when I go shopping(4-50lb bags of sugar,cases of eggs ect...)

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 6:20pm
post #16 of 31

I also have a Ford Focus Hatchback (2000) because I was on a very tight budget for a car but really wanted something I could fit wedding cakes in and could air condition the trunk of during the summer. Mind you, I only do 1 or 2 wedding cakes a year, but it's worked well for me, and most important, I could afford the payments.

It has a fairly smooth ride and handles well, which are also important when transporting cakes, and it's easy to get cakes in and out of. I've also been impressed how much I can fit in that little car with the seat folded down, when going on camping trips and such. I have the 2 door version, because they didn't have the 4-door yet when I bought mine, but if you're going to use the back seat regularly, I'd recommend the 4-door.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:47pm
post #17 of 31

I hope I'm not too late. I purchased a Ford Escape and love it. It was 18k however but the base model comes with power windows and locks and keyless entry which was big for me.

Then my friend just purchased the Chevy HHR for 15k. It's got more features than my car and was cheaper. Plus Chevys are good and dependable. She says the HHR has plenty of leg room in the back seat and has 4 doors, which is great. I think everyone hates crawling through the front to get to the back seat. Plus with either the Escape or the HHR you have the convenience of a compact car with the luxury of that extra space in the back.

Plus in my old car if I pulled too close to the curb it pulled my bumper off. Fortuantely I was dating a guy who ran a repair shop, but then when I got used to it and didnt pull too far up, my husband did it. Men. Anyway, it's nice being higher off of the ground.

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:30pm
post #18 of 31

I drive a 2000 Ford expedition which suks at gas mileage, and it rough on railroad tracks, but plenty of room!! My goal however is to TRY to save up enough money to buy a vehicle just for my business. Ford focus hatchback huh?

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 8:50pm
post #19 of 31

FWIW, if I'd had another 2 or 3 grand to spend I'd have gone with the Focus Wagon instead of the hatchback. It's got more room in the back and the mileage is almost as good. My mother has one and loves it, and it has more cargo space than most of the mini-SUVs she was also looking at (as well as being a lot cheaper). Not as much space as a van or a large SUV, but much better mileage.

I believe Ford just discontinued the wagon (though used is always an option) which is why I didn't mention it earlier (as well as because she specified a compact).

Certainly there are better cars, but for what I had to spend I really like my little hatchback. And being bright yellow, it's easy to find in parking lots (as long as it's not behind a monster SUV).

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 9:32pm
post #20 of 31

I should have mentioned that I did buy the Focus WAGON hatchback - you are right - it does have more room in the cargo area. We used to have a Ford Taurus Wagon, and the Focus Wagon beats it on cargo room because the seats fold down flat.

It would be too bad if Ford discontinued the wagon, but you would be able to get an almost new one used.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:06pm
post #21 of 31

I didnt think to mention that I get an average of 25 mpg in my escape and my friend gets even better in her HHR.

My husband has an explorer and he gets crappy gas mileage too. But it's a 2001.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:17am
post #22 of 31

I bought a 2006 Hyundai Tucson and I love it!!! I can fit 5-7 wedding cakes in that thing with the fold down seats. They are a 60-40 split and it's very level. The front passenger seat folds down too which is great for sheet cakes for me. You can NOT beat the Hyundai warranty and I have never had any problems. They offered free Oil Changes for life when I purchased as well so I never pay for Oil Changes. The A/C is AWESOME for keeping cakes cold. I really love it and it was very affordable. I got a great deal and I will never regret it...Good luck in your search!!

Tammi

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:24pm
post #23 of 31

I just got a Volkswagen Passat wagon and I LOVE it! The hatchback automatically opens (slowly) with a push of a button on the remote and then it will close automatically. It rides very smoothly and gets great gas mileage (gas here was up to $3.50 for awhile!!!). The back is roomy too, although if I'm transporting only one cake I put it on the passenger seat next to me so I can hold on to it as I go around corners, etc. Good luck with your search!

auntmamie Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 7:03pm
post #24 of 31

WOW! Thank you all so much for your ideas.

Well, I got my regular car back today. The dealer had it for 32 days. So, I went to a used car sale to look at new(er) cars that would be good. Keep in mind that I live in Vermont. This is the Green MOUNTAIN STATE and is known for SNOW. The dealer showed me a PT Cruiser. Almost no ground clearance, and fairly low on HP. Then, while we were discussing finances, I was told that, after trade, the car was only $10875. I got him down another $1000. I asked him to calculate a payment, which he did, on the 9875. Well, what about the payoff on my car? Don't forget to add that in. "Oh, you would have to continue with that payment yourself" Like he**. that's not how trades work, dude. Oh, and then I asked to look at the computer screen by myself, and he had used simple interest, not compound. That was about a $35 month difference. He tried to tell me that car loans are simple interest. When I brought out the fact that I'm studying to be a CPA, he got red in the face. I walked out.

The search will continue. I've been looking at all the cars suggested, just waiting to find the right one.

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 7:15pm
post #25 of 31

I know you said no minivans, but I have to put in a plug. I have a Nissan minivan I bought for $3000 at 90K miles more or less and have put nearly 40K more with absolutely no problems. I get nearly twice the gas milage my buddies with SUVs get (about 23mpg, it has a digital readout that constantly tells you your mpg). The cool thing is the middle captains seats pop right out by pulling up one handle. You can slide open the side door and just put stuff right in. The way my shop is, I can pull up beside the building and open the door right to the side of the van. Our girls are off to college, only the little son at home now, so we leave the back seat in and most the time the one middle seat, so it's not inconvenient to switch back and forth from work to family vehicle. I haven't started using it for the cake business yet since we haven't gotten our health department ordeal done, but I've used it for three years now hauling art work. I figure it will work just as well for cakes. (BTW, since I paid cash for it, I only have to carry liability insurance, which is about $50 a month. Most of my friends pay more for a year's worth of comprehensive insurance than I did for my van!)

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:37am
post #26 of 31

Also, don't rule out the fact that you can, in fact, (and I always do) put cakes on the front seat of your car.

I ordered myself a new 328xi BMW for Christmas, icon_cool.gif and I adore it. Not an SUV, and the trunk doesn't work for deliveries, except in cold weather, but this summer I put rolled towels and nonstick matting on the front seat, make sure the box will sit level, box the assembled stacked wedding cakes in a same-size-as-the-base box (I can fit up to a 20" box on the front seat), and put them on the front seat, level. Then I put the seat belt around the box like a passenger, blast the A/C, and I'm off. It's great, and the ride is much smoother in the front anyway...For a couple of fondant cakes, I've just covered the cake with a "tent" of Glad Press-Seal instead of a box, and set the cake base itself on the seat/towel assembly, even a 4-tier assembled cake, and it went great. You should've seen the looks of people passing me on the freeway, though. lol

Not the price range you're thinking, but just wanted to say--you may not necessarily *need* a "delivery" type vehicle. I've taken 26 cakes this year in that car without a single even minor hitch. icon_smile.gif

auntmamie Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 10:33pm
post #27 of 31

So, I think I might have found the perfect car. I have been drooling over this particular model since it came out 3 years ago. Now, it's available used! and it's in my price range, is great in the snow, is a V6, and can hold cakes like a dream!!!!

http://www.walkervt.com/used_vehicle_details.htm?vehicleId=8c5197af4046381e01599f385e3bb2f2

Again, thank you all so much for your input.

Vickster, there is one basic, really vain reason I said no minivans. I am a mother to none, super-aunt to 6. I am still single and loving it, and want to enjoy life without a minivan while I can. God, I hope I'm not alienating any mothers with this statement. LOL

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:12am
post #28 of 31

lol that is too funny. i am a mother of 2 yet i refuse to think about driving a mini-van. but thats just me. if i had more maybe, but we all fit just fine in my truck.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:31am
post #29 of 31

Well hubby just bought me a Saturn vue and girls that thing rides like a car and has oodles of room in the back and brand new they aren't all that pricey so a good used one (06 ?) would be kewl. Also "bonus" it has AWD!!!! I love my saturn!!!
The one we bought had only 18,000 miles on it and we only paid 18g's for it.

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:33am
post #30 of 31

I have a scion XA and I LOOOOOOOOVE it! icon_lol.gif

Although from the outside it may look tiny I have 2 small children and it really is roomy!

Both the back seats fold down so if you had a large delivery you'd have no problem. I can have fit a 16 inch round in the truck (seats up) with NO problem.

I get about 35 or more miles to the gallon and I live in MA where the winters are a bit crazy and have never had a problem with traction.
After all the add ons we put in there (my hubby insisted I needed a sun roof that I have yet to use in 2 yrs icon_rolleyes.gif ) it came to $20,000.
I also like that the price is no haggle, you pay what is on the window and it is the same at every dealership and the website. You also get (or atleast you did when I bought it) your frist 3 oil changes for free. When gas prices were at the highest I only paid about $32 to fill it up and I am the kind of person who waits till I am on fumes to stop for gas.

Hope that helps you and good luck with what ever you pick!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%