No Fail Sugar Cookies Spreading! Help Please!

Baking By trakarbart Updated 28 Sep 2007 , 6:19am by tc4cake

trakarbart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trakarbart Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 20

ANY IDEAS WHY THE COOKIES WOULD SPREAD WHILE BAKING? PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

19 replies
boricua_mami75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boricua_mami75 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 20

I just made a batch. Did you roll them out and put them in the fridge for aleast 30-45 mins. This helps with the spreading.

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 20

Chill 'em...works like a charm...

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 20

I usually put the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes or I make the day before and store in the fridge. Bring to room temp.

Now depending where you live if it is hot out, and the dough is sitting on the counter is most likely got too soft. I have had this happen. Like today in CA it is very hot, butter on the counter was soft in 10 minutes and that was from the freezer. I had to put my cream cheese frosting in the fridge to get firm that how hot it is today.

I would put the dough in the fridge and let get firm. Or you can cut out the shapes and put in freezer for a few minutes this also helps and then bake. I sometime cut the shapes and freeze until I need to bake.

Good luck.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 20

Are you using parchment paper to line your cookie sheets?

trakarbart Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 20

Hi everyone! I chilled the dough overnight. I don't think it was because of the dough getting warm while rolling it out or anything like that. I only made 6 at a time so I don't think it was out of the fridge long enough to warm up. I also used parchment paper, so I'm not sure what happened. After I let them cool and place my RBC cut outs on them, I was shocked! They were almost an inch off of the border of the cookie. I also have an oven thermometer, so I know I had the right temperature. I'm going to try it again and put the cutouts in the fridge after I roll them out, then pop them in the oven and see if that helps.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I didn't expect so many replies so soon! Thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 20

It's warm here, too. I put mine I the freezer after rolling and cutting. I let the tray sit in there while I cut the next group. Never had any problems with spreading. It takes just a tad longer to bake them.

trakarbart Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 20

Last night I tried it again. I put the cookies back in the fridge for about 15 mins after I cut them out. They didn't spread as much, but they still spread. Also, does anyone know if there's a way to make the RBC not so shiny?

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:47am
post #9 of 20

Are you using butter or margarine?

trakarbart Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:02am
post #10 of 20

I'm using butter.

ladeebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladeebug Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 10:33am
post #11 of 20

I use the method of rolling the dough between sheets of parchment as soon as I'm done making it. I pop the sheets in the fridge for 20-30 minutes and then cut them. Works like a charm every time.

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 20

I eliminate the baking powder/baking soda because they are leaving agents and cause the cookies to puff and spread.

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 10:47pm
post #13 of 20

Even though I do roll my dough out between parchment right after I make it,
then chill in the frig (like everyone else), I cut them out, then pop into the freezer for 5 minutes, then take them from the freezer right into the oven.
I don't usually have a problem with spreading. Also, I use margarine instead
of butter, there's not as much spreading. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

trakarbart Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 11:56pm
post #14 of 20

I tried the recipe with margarine instead of butter and chilled the dough longer this time....it worked! Thank you all!

How long can I sotre RBC and what is the best way to store it?

tc4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tc4cake Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:59am
post #15 of 20

Hi there. I don't know if this will help but I had the same thing happen to me with my last few batches I made all at the same time the other night. So bizarre....I use my own recipe, have for a long, long time - used all of the same ingredients, etc.....The one thing I did differently was leave the butter out longer. It was soooo super duper soft it wasn't even funny....Anyway, I tried the dough today while it was nice and chilled and they are still spreading.....The only difference was that the butter was softer/warmer than normal.....I once heard that you can also over cream your butter and it will cause a different reaction in your dough....Seems like I read that here on Cake Central somewhere.....They don't spread as bad super cold, but I made enough for 400 cookies for a 500 cookie order! Grrrr......I personally don't do margarine because I'm like Paula Deen ladies.....Butter, butter all the way......I'm making some additional dough with my butter that is only softenened for a little bit......We'll see if that is the culprit.........

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 2:11am
post #16 of 20

I agree with tc4 you may be creaming your butter to long. I too think this cookie is not to be creamed. I use butter all the time and dont't have trouble. Also you should let your oven heat for a least 20 to 30 min after it has preheated. And never place youe gutouts on a warm cookie sheet. That 's from Alton Brown HTH icon_wink.gif

margery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margery Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 2:17am
post #17 of 20

yes, the softened butter is the culprit. my poor mom did a batch for me while i was on vacation using soft butter and she had to give up b/c of the spreading (i was making a negative space star cookie at that!!)

i came home, used cold ingredients and YAY!! lesson learned

good luck!

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 2:31am
post #18 of 20

I have had the same problem with the NFSC. I changed to the following recipe and NEVER have the cookies spread...even if I put them on a warm cookie sheet. I used to put them in the freezer for 4-5 minutes before putting them in the oven, but I quit doing that in the interest of time and they still don't spread. They taste a little bit more like a shortbread cookie...I get raves from people because they "aren't too sweet". I use either fondant or RI on the top.

Cream 3/4 cups butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg and vanilla (I use about a tablespoon because I like a heavy vanilla flavor. I also add about 1/2 teaspoon of almond flavoring.) Sift together 4 cups of flour and 1 teaspoon baking powder. Add to butter/sugar/egg mixture and mix until it forms a coarse ball. Remove from mixer and form into a ball. You don't have to chill the dough prior to using. I use it immediately. The dough will be stiff...

bonnebouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnebouche Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 2:51am
post #19 of 20

I am not sure what type of cookie sheet you are using but someone at CC told me that using an insulated cookie sheets slows down the cooking process and therefore allows the dough to spread. Once I switched to a regular thin cookie sheet pan, I never had that problem again.

tc4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tc4cake Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 6:19am
post #20 of 20

Whahooo! I'm sorry about the stars but glad to get the affirmation....I mean everything else I did was to a "T" like I normally do.....Cookie sheets, oven temp - heck I even buy a killer flour from my distributor that is no fail everytime.....I had both Kitchen Aids going at once to speed up the process and my creaming could have been overkill but the super soft butter - Bang, no more.....I'll be making circles with this dough for sure! It tastes the same though so it's still good.........Thanks everyone! If anyone is ever in need of cake or candy supplies, cookie cutters, etc. visit my website www.abakersplace.com - Hopefully in the next 2 weeks it will be fully stocked.....Have a nice weekend everyone........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%