Cake Walk?

Decorating By Cady Updated 1 Nov 2006 , 11:03pm by Cady

Cady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cady Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone made cakes for a cake walk before? I've never even been to a cake walk before so i have no idea what its about and i didn't want to look like a fool and ask.

Any suggestions??

Cady

7 replies
mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 8

We just had a "cupcake walk" at my daughter's Halloween carnival. Basically, think along the lines of musical chairs. There are numbered spaces set out in a circle. Everyone walks around the cirlce and stops on a numbered space when the music stops. Then, they call out a number and whoever is on that space gets to pick whatever cake they want.

So, of course, usually, the really cute/creative cakes go first. If it's for a Fall carnival, maybe decorate something with that sort of theme.

Cady Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks I had no idea icon_surprised.gif

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 8

Our school does a cake walk every year at their carnival fundraiser. It's like musical chairs. You walk around chairs in a circle and when the music stops find a chair. Each will be numbered. They draw numbers out of a hat and eliminate people until one person is left standing. He or she gets to choose one of the donated cakes as their prize.

I usually donate 2 or 3 cakes just because we don't get a lot of donations even though it is a popular event. I did a mini wedding cake once, I also have done a lot of racecars for the boys. Dolls are pretty popular too. This year I did a dozen and a half cupcakes that I did with a giant rose tip. They were one of the first ones to go. Anything that is not a 9x13 usually goes really well. Think outside the box as far as using shaped pans, 3D's and other things that will attract attention. I have never yet seen a 9x13 at our carnival in the 5 years we have had kids in school. There are tons of neat ideas in the galleries. Just look under cakes for kids or children's birthdays.

desireed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desireed Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 8

mconrey explained it perfectly. Does it have to be cakes only? I have seen them with cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and brownies so you might want to see if you can bring something besides cakes. Maybe you can make a bundt cake, a german chocolate cake with coconut pecan icing, or a cake that doesn't need heavy decorating. Then you can do a couple of decorated cakes. There are some really cute fall cakes on this site. Maybe you can stamp/put stickers on the boxes that you put them in so that you can get some advertising out of it.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 8

Cake walks are fine if you don't put too much time and effort into them.
I learned my lesson last year. I made 2 cakes and worked very hard on them,(the piped on ghost, and the werewolf in my photos). Well, they went into the cake walk and the tickets to walk were only .25. Needless to say those cakes went for way too little money. probably $10.00 or less. The whole purpose is to raise money to help the school.
So this year I made 4 cakes ( the ones in my photos with the ghost, scarecrows and pumpkin in 3-d fondant figures), and raffled them off.
I raised $148.00! Big difference.
So I would check to see how it is done, and make sure your pretty cakes generate as much money as possible.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 8

I like the raffle idea! I'll have to bring that up to the school.

Cady Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 8

I had a totally different idea in my head icon_redface.gif

Its sound like it will be fun to watch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%