Other Than Cake Balls, What Do You Make With Leftover Cake??

Decorating By ButtercreamCakeArtist Updated 19 Feb 2016 , 3:21pm by angelsmom89

ButtercreamCakeArtist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercreamCakeArtist Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 23

I tried making cake balls only once. I think I got them too moist, but I'm wondering what else can be done with the leftover cake from leveling the top??

22 replies
Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 23

How about a cake shake!! Just kidding! icon_lol.gif BUMP!

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 23

Eat it, of course! Or give it to hubby while it is still warm with a big ole dollop of Braum's Homestyle Vanilla ice cream on top!

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 23

I make a simple dessert with a layer of cake, layer of pudding, layer of cool whip. The family loves it.

louie750 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louie750 Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 23

Oh, I would like to know some suggestions too..I just put some cake scraps in the fridge.
I have in the past just remade a "cake". I pulse the leftover cake in a processor and add some melted butter and rework it into a "dough" and press it into a baking dish and frost it. I usually get more compliments on this then the original cake!, probably because its more moist due to the melted butter.

ButtercreamCakeArtist Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie750

Oh, I would like to know some suggestions too..I just put some cake scraps in the fridge.
I have in the past just remade a "cake". I pulse the leftover cake in a processor and add some melted butter and rework it into a "dough" and press it into a baking dish and frost it. I usually get more compliments on this then the original cake!, probably because its more moist due to the melted butter.

OH YUMMY!!

Thanks for the ideas!
I found a website www.earlenescakes.com
If you click on recipes, it gives a few ideas there.

Anyone else?

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 23

Strawberry Truffle Cake:
Bake a chocolate cake and allow to cool- or use cake scraps- grind up cake until crumbly. Make one recipe ganache- mix some ganache (1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup) with cake crumbs -until it resembles fudge. Place some of this mixture into a springform pan. Layer cake with some fresh strwaberries, then top with the remaining cake mixture (or may mix strawberries into cake mixture). Spread remaining ganache over top. Decorate with strawberries and drizzled white chocolate. Refrigerate. Best served the same day because of the berries.

Audraj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audraj Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 23

I'm already fat and trying to lose the weight (LOL) - and my DH doesn't need it either - so mine goes down the disposal.

ButtercreamCakeArtist Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audraj

I'm already fat and trying to lose the weight (LOL) - and my DH doesn't need it either - so mine goes down the disposal.

I'm already fat, too--thanks to hypothyroidism, mostly....and my DH doesn't need it, either! BUT...for parties or for a gift to others or ORDERS...
icon_smile.gif
I'm just too much of a penny pincher to throw it out!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 2:10am
post #10 of 23

I mix with buttercream and make mini shells, then fill with pudding, berries and top with whipped cream...

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 2:14am
post #11 of 23

call the kids over...they phone to see if I have the scraps...all strapping young men....I give them the cake bits and a bowl of leftover icing and they just go for it!...not much left over after that....

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 2:26am
post #12 of 23

Hello ButtercreamCakeArtist

Other than cake balls, I make rum balls with chocolate cake scraps, and I make English triffle with just about any flavor cake!
each one is different, but all are delicious!

ciao

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:34am
post #13 of 23

Many years ago, when I worked at a Grocery store bakery, this is back when they actually baked items from scratch, they used to take the pulled out of date sweets, ie .. donuts, pound cakes, coffee cakes etc.... and make what was called recycle products. They basically took all the scraps and ground it up to make the flour part, and added fresh eggs sugar and other stuff, they then baked in loaf pans, and iced them or make coffee cakes etc.... That way they had a fresh product,, well somewhat.... and turned it into a addiitonal shelf like of 7 days. No waste. It actually came out pretty good. I don't have any of those recipes, but you might try research something called bakery recycled products. This has been over 25 years ago. It might be worth the time to look up.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:44pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascination

Other than cake balls, I make rum balls with chocolate cake scraps, and I make English triffle with just about any flavor cake!

ciao

Rum balls sound delish! Would you be willing to share the recipe for them?

Thanks!!

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:27pm
post #15 of 23

It usually gets eaten before I would have time to do anything else. Could someone please explain to me "cake ball"? How do you make the cake balls and what about the icing? icon_confused.gif

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:45pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascination

ciao

I make the triffles too, I soak the sponge scraps in a "little" icon_wink.gif alchol then add all the other ingredients that makes up a triffle....... Mmmm icon_lol.gif
Denise

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 4:37pm
post #17 of 23

Hello czyadgrl...

voila.... try this one (it is a modified version of a recipe I found on internet)

A Rum Ball Recipe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients
125g butter (or 1/2 butter & 1/2 Crisco)
125g Dark Cooking Chocolate
1 1/2 to 2 cups Cake Crumbs
55g Ground Almonds or finely chopped walnuts
30g Icing Sugar
20 - 30 ml Rum
Chocolate Sprinkles

Directions

Melt the butter and chocolate in the top of a double boiler over simmering water
Put the cake crumbs and ground almonds or walnuts into a mixing bowl
Sift icing sugar into the mix
Add the rum and mix well

Add the melted chocolate mixture and mix well
Chill until mixture is firm
Shape into balls and roll in the chocolate sprinkles
Refrigerate in a sealed container

let me know how you like the results.
Ciao

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 4:52pm
post #18 of 23

I make bread pudding and it is DE-LICIOUS!! I got the idea from someone on this site....but I'm sorry I can't remember who!!

But I just use a reg. bread pudding reicpe....but instead of bread I use the leftover cake!! YUMMY!!

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 5:21pm
post #19 of 23

didn't read all posts but this is what i make from my scraps; bigger waist, bigger thighs, bigger hubby, bigger neighbors.... get the idea?

bunit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunit Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 5:31pm
post #20 of 23

Whenever I make a cake, and have to trim the dome, my father, who lives just down the road will call and ask if there are any "cake guts". Before I deliver the cake, the "cake guts" are delivered first, and of course, "taste tested" by the cake tester himself, before ever giving a finished product to the customer icon_biggrin.gif ... _ B.

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 5:39pm
post #21 of 23

well i did this this time the cakeball were good too
this time i just layer them on the botton of a glass container
put a layer of cake leftover chocolatepudding a layer of whippcream another one of cake and so on...then covered with melted chocolate on top
left it in the refrigaretor...uhmmm 2 days later tasted better but.........uhmmmm love it not the pounds that i probably got but hey once it is ok.....
icon_rolleyes.gif

FunnyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunnyCakes Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 10:17pm
post #22 of 23

None of my family will eat cake balls, and I have to admit I think they're kind of icky, too.

But a good trifle can be made with so many different ingredients - plus any leftover cake.

angelsmom89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelsmom89 Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 3:21pm
post #23 of 23

I have a huge tube pan.  It takes two scratch poundcake recipes and bakes for close to three hours.  One year, for Christmas festivities at the office, I decided to  make a special giant poundcake with two different additions (one for each side).  After making up all the batter and pouring it into the pan, I coarsely chopped up some gourmet dark chocolate bars that had cherries with a hint of chipotle pepper and mixed it into one side of the batter.  On the other side, I chopped up which chocolate bars that had something special (don't remember what).  This was very expensive for me with all the butter, gourmet chocolate bars, etc.  Plus, i had bragged to the office about the special poundcake I was making that would be for both chocolate and non-chocolate lovers, alike.

That night I got everything prepared, popped the pan into the oven, then went to my room for a while.  The cake should have been done around midnight.  The next thing I know,, my mom is waking me up asking me how long the cake was supposed to bake.  It was 3:00 in the morning!  The cake had been baking SIX HOURS!!!   Because the oven temp was low and the cake so large, it didn't burn.  It WAS very brown and hard as a ROCK!   I was so mad and discouraged.  I didn't want to make another cake because this one had been very expensive to make.  I was about to throw the whole thing in the trash my brilliant daughter came up with a solution.\

Make bread pudding!

I did.  It made a LOT of bread pudding, but that saved the day for me, the cake didn't go to waste and everyone at the office loved it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%