Icing Sculptor

Decorating By RRGibson Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 4:55pm by RRGibson

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 22

Has anyone ever used the Wilton Icing Sculptor? The thing where you put the different combs in to create a design in the icing? I bought it because I have a bride that wants a cake that looks like it has the lines in it from a spatula or something like that. I thought this might work to give me that look?

21 replies
AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 22

I am interested in finding out what others think of this also. I bought one but I have not used it yet.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 22

There have been several post on this product and if I remember correctly a very high % of people don't like it. There was even a thread of things you have bought for cake decorating that you wish you hadn't...that was very high on the list. I am sure there are a few people out there that like it (come on some people even like Wilton fondant icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif ) sorry to give you bad news on it. If I were you I would use it on a practice cake or two to get the hang of it. Maybe you will discover a way of using it that will help the rest of us thumbs_up.gif

Daryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daryn Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 22

I like it because I haven't found anything that can do what it does, but you have to make the icing very thick so that you don't bump the sides of the cake. It took several tries to do it to make it even all of the way around. So don't get discouraged if you have to smooth out and try again a few times. Good luck to you! icon_smile.gif

RRGibson Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 22

Oh my gosh, I thought for sure it would give me what I was looking for. I have searched for a cake like the one this girl wants but I can't find one here on CC. Do you know what I'm talking about? It's textured like smudges have been made in the icing like with a spatula?

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 22

I have one and love it. Just make sure that your frosting is thick enough on the sides or you will dig into your cake, just use light pressure on it as you are going around the cake.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 22

i have one but i have never used it....i need to take it out of my cupboard the next cake i do.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 22

RRGibson- could it be Martha Stewarts "new basketweave" there was a thread and a tutorial on it awhile back too. Let me look for it...brb

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 22

To make that cake, first ice smooth and make the icing a wee bit thicker that you normally might. Then press a paring knife into the icing to make the indentations. A hot knife would work best. When you know the tool used for the process, then you can see how its done.

Also the Wilton Sculptor is one of the worst pieces of crap ever introduced. Even for Wilton this is crap. The little pieces fall out of it and its nearly impossible to keep even pressure so that you get a consistent effect.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 12:05am
post #11 of 22

I have to say I agree with Leahs...I have it also and it has done nothing for me icon_sad.gif

RRGibson Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 12:25am
post #12 of 22

Unfortunately it's not that new basketweave design. I wish I could find a picture of it because I know that someone here would tell me exactly how it's done. I'm going to look around some more and hopefully find a picture and then I can link it here.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 12:41am
post #13 of 22
RRGibson Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 12:44am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateaux

try this wilton web site

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E31A21B-475A-BAC0-51A3CBEF4593810B

Good Luck

Thanks gateaux. But I meant a picture of the cake style. I know if I find it you guys will help me out icon_biggrin.gif

gateaux Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 1:15am
post #15 of 22

I know this one really looks like spatula work, but is this what your mean? only this one is vertical!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=18402

Good Luck

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 1:17am
post #16 of 22

Does the basketweave look sort of ruffly or ruffled?

gateaux Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 1:24am
post #17 of 22

ok, I saw a small cake on this site, about 1/2 down

http://www.caremscakes.com/cakes/

Good Luck.

RRGibson Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 1:55am
post #18 of 22

Leahs, no, it's not a basketweave at all. I looked on your website to see if you had one like it and I didn't see one. When I finally find a picture of it you guys are going to be like ohhhh, that's what she was talking about icon_surprised.gif ! It seems so simple but for the life of me I can't figure out how to explain it to you guys. I'm getting nervous now! Cake's not due until October though but I need to practice icon_redface.gif !

RRGibson Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:58pm
post #19 of 22

Gatueax, yes that is something like what she wants. I don't know why I didn't see your post the other day. Vertical like that but on a bit of a slant and a little more pronounced. Here's another one that I found, very beautiful...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=87684

Is it just done with the spatula?

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:05pm
post #20 of 22

I think I would just take the tip of the spatula and go straight down the sides

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:50pm
post #21 of 22

Would this be it? I found it online at Better Homes and Gardens.
LL

RRGibson Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:55pm
post #22 of 22

aswartzw, that's very pretty but no. She gave me an article, it was written by the lady who writes for the knot, but I couldn't find a picture of it there either. I guess I'll just have to practice with the wilton thingy and then I'll also try it with a spatula and see how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%