Drying Flowers

Decorating By Woole2 Updated 2 Nov 2006 , 11:02pm by Woole2

Woole2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Woole2 Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 10

How do you fast dry your royal icing flowers? I have let them sit over night but the base would still be wet. Ive tried putting them in the oven and just using the oven light and also at a low heat. I need help with this since every batch of royal icing is like this. Its either to stiff to where it hurts my hand when piping or it feels just right to pip but wont hold its shape. please help cause Im tired of not having my flowers done for class.

Thanks

Angela

9 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 10

when I make them......once they have sat over night and the tops are super firm but just the bottom under side is still alittle wet......I peel them off the wax paper and flip them over allowing the other side to dry.......it works for me......I"m REALLY impatient LOL

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 10

For fast drying how about placing them in a food dehydrator? If the icing is to stiff thin down with just a drop of water. RI is not forgiving in the water part. But one drop should help with the piping.

Woole2 Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 10

LOL well another thing to buy is what my hubby would say. Ive tried to peel off the tin foil but it pulls the flowers apart. Thanks for the advise

Angela

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 10

A few ideas.... My WMI had us to smear ALITTLE crisco in the foil (I know I know I thought the same thing crisco breaks down royal-but ALITTLE really does work) She also had us use a small straight pin and poke5-6 pin holes in the foil to allow air to get to the back side. Use a egg carton to set the foil in after they are piped. It keeps the bottom from setting flat and allows air in around them. Also use the cheepest dollar store foil you can find. They come out with out breaking better.

I hope some of this helps

Woole2 Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 10

I have been using a lil spray in the cheap tin foil so it dont stick and I thought maybe thats why it was staying moist. I will definatly try the pin hole technique. Has anbody every tried to freeze them? I was told thats a NO NO to do. My best friend learned in Germany how to do flowers 15yrs ago and her instructor told them to put them in there. Im so confused..lol

Angela

gothgate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gothgate Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 10

i've been making my meringues & royal icing things on reynolds release foil. once dry, they slide right off with a little shake. and when they're still tacky on the bottom, a little push or twist will break the seal & then they'll slide around.

i tried using my oven on low for some large royal pumpkins and i got little poof-ups in the middle, almost like little souffle hats. looked awful. what i had to do was turn on my oven, let it warm up, then turn it off. they dried in about 1 hour with no souffle hats.

dkelley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkelley Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:31am
post #8 of 10

I've always used waxed paper to make my RI flowers on. Haven't tried foil yet . Are you suppose to use foil when making RI flowers. I flip mine over too.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:39am
post #9 of 10

If you are making them using a lilly nail instead of a flat flower nail you use foil. For flowers like-lillies, morning glories, poinsettas...

Woole2 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:02pm
post #10 of 10

yes I am using a lilly nail. Sorry I wasnt spacific..lol..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%