What Is Golden Syrup?

Decorating By mommapaul3 Updated 27 Oct 2013 , 9:10pm by lindseyjhills

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 7:35am
post #31 of 76

I see everyone has pretty well covered where to get Golden Syrup already , but please please please do not call them ANZAC Cookies , The proper name is ANZAC Biscuits or Bickies. 

Sorry if I have offended anyone . 

Chelle ,

A True Blue , Dinky -Di , Aussie Sheila. 

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 12:47pm
post #32 of 76

As another Dinky di Aussie I have to say there are no nuts in Anzac biscuits, somebody posted a recipe which had coconut or nuts noooooo, it has to be desiccated coconut.  Do not substitute Corn Syrup for Golden Syrup it is not at all the same thing, Golden Syrup has a distinctive flavour that is the underlying flavour of these bickies.  Hope you all enjoy them they are extremely popular in my family.

Kimdarella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimdarella Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 1:00pm
post #33 of 76

Definitely no nuts or corn syrup in your ANZAC Bikkies!

:D

Golden syrup is delicious, we rarely had it as kids as my Mother was a no sugar fiend!  I remember being so jealous at a friend having a golden syrup sandwich at lunch one day when I was a little one!  LOL  Seemed like such wanton sugary goodness!!!

Golden syrup dumplings, Golden Syrup pudding,  great in all kinds of things.

Here is a very popular Australian cooking site's list of golden syrup recipes... http://www.taste.com.au/search-recipes/?q=golden+syrup&x=0&y=0

810whitechoc Posted 23 Oct 2013 , 1:04pm
post #34 of 76

Thought I might share this very Australian fact about Golden Syrup, my Dad an 84 year old country boy calls Golden Syrup "Cockies Joy".  This name is  Aussie slang, back in the day the owner of a large country property would be called The Boss Cockie and Golden Syrup was a delicacy that the boss got to enjoy.  The word Cockie comes from the very loud and bossy Cockatoos (birds) that thrive in the Australian outback, and the loudest and most assertive would of course be The Boss of the flock.  Therefore, the owner of a property would be The Boss Cockie.  Nothing to do with making ANZACS but thought I would share :)

Chellescakes Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 9:38am
post #35 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by 810whitechoc 

Thought I might share this very Australian fact about Golden Syrup, my Dad an 84 year old country boy calls Golden Syrup "Cockies Joy".  This name is  Aussie slang, back in the day the owner of a large country property would be called The Boss Cockie and Golden Syrup was a delicacy that the boss got to enjoy.  The word Cockie comes from the very loud and bossy Cockatoos (birds) that thrive in the Australian outback, and the loudest and most assertive would of course be The Boss of the flock.  Therefore, the owner of a property would be The Boss Cockie.  Nothing to do with making ANZACS but thought I would share :)

Gotta love some Cocky's Joy on a hot piece of damper 

810whitechoc Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 11:54am
post #36 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chellescakes 

Gotta love some Cocky's Joy on a hot piece of damper

Drooling just thinking about it yum.

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 1:34pm
post #37 of 76

AIf all you US golden syrup converts get really into the stuff I suggest you make some Cornish Fairings, a steamed Golden Syrup Sponge and mabe even some hokey pokey!!!!!!!

CakeChemistry Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 1:35pm
post #38 of 76

AI recommend the Cornish fairings. Tastes like childhood.

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 2:03pm
post #39 of 76

ASounds delicious, I need to make some

CakeChemistry Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 6:34pm
post #40 of 76

AReally impressed by this. If I get round to making it (doubtful, it's cheap as chips over here) I will let you know! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ksIHlV9T17U&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DksIHlV9T17U

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 1:41am
post #41 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by CakeChemistry 

If all you US golden syrup converts get really into the stuff I suggest you make some Cornish Fairings, a steamed Golden Syrup Sponge and mabe even some hokey pokey!!!!!!!

I just came across this thread - I never felt so dumb - LOL  I can't even use Google translate - I love the background stories. :smile:

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 2:21am
post #42 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWinslow 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeChemistry 

If all you US golden syrup converts get really into the stuff I suggest you make some Cornish Fairings, a steamed Golden Syrup Sponge and mabe even some hokey pokey!!!!!!!

I just came across this thread - I never felt so dumb - LOL  I can't even use Google translate - I love the background stories. :smile:

You need me to translate the Aussie lingo mate???  haha

JWinslow Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 6:21am
post #43 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

You need me to translate the Aussie lingo mate???  haha

Please!  You're too funny - mate :D

CakeChemistry Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 9:46am
post #44 of 76

AHa ha this is funny! I'm a Brit so no Aussie lingo from me ya big galah (channelling Alf Stewart). Hokey pokey is regional name for honeycomb, boil up some golden syrup, whack in some bicarbonate of soda and delight in the excitement that ensues. Cornish fairings are gooey biscuits, awesome. My nan used to make them and they were bigger than my head. Awesome. You can make a quick syrup pudding in the microwave. Grease a plastic bowl, squirt hopeless amounts of syrup in the bottom, whip up a basic sponge (suggest the four threes method), whack it on top of the syrup. Cover with cling, put in the dinger for eight - ten on high or till done. Turn out of bowl, watch syrup ooze. Potentially have third degree burn from syrup depending on how impatient you are to dig in. Throw some bright yellow Birds on top and voila! That's how they do it oooooooopppppppp north in the UK!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 10:16am
post #45 of 76

Now the big question is what sort of ANZAC bickies do you prefer?  The hard crunchy ones or the soft chewy ones?  I love both.

andierach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andierach Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 10:44am
post #46 of 76

AGolden syrup also comes in plastic squeeze bottles so much hander and less messy then the tin !! Cos it's so thick and sticky if you lightly grease your measuring spoon it should come of easier. And it's lovely in gingerbread men :D

CakeChemistry Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 11:00am
post #47 of 76

ASticky ones. And the squeezy bottle is awesome.

JWinslow Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 2:06pm
post #48 of 76

Thank you - I think I understand much more now.  I will look for it in the English sections of stores.  I am curious about the distinctive flavor as the ingredients are fairly simple - almost like the early stages of caramel.  Yes/No?

Either way, I will look for it.

CakeChemistry Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 5:32pm
post #49 of 76

AYes like caramel but not quite!

JWinslow Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 5:54pm
post #50 of 76

Thank you, I've enjoyed this thread :)

CakeChemistry Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 9:51pm
post #51 of 76

AMe too, it was fun!

Chellescakes Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 10:54pm
post #52 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

Now the big question is what sort of ANZAC bickies do you prefer?  The hard crunchy ones or the soft chewy ones?  I love both.

I must admit I love both too.  I think I am going to make some this weekend after visiting this thread all weekend. I can take some to our Cake Club workshop on Monday. 

Toodee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toodee Posted 25 Oct 2013 , 11:03pm
post #53 of 76

Mmmmmm I love the soft chewy ones. A tip for those who like the different types, use a bit more golden syrup for hard, crunchy ones and less for soft, chewy ones. 

Also don't overdo the bicarb soda or they taste awful!

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 1:58am
post #54 of 76

Wow, I was so amazed when I saw this recipe. My mum used to make this almost 50 years ago, her recipe was called oat crunchies and instead of butter she used clarified butter. When I make them, they disappear within hours.The taste is not as good if you use corn syrup. Golden syrup has a different delicious flavor.

In canada golden syrup is available at No Frills.

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 12:16pm
post #55 of 76

My inlaws  regularly travel to France (from the UK) and always have to take tins of G Syrup for their French friends!  Talk about small scale exporting :lol:

JWinslow Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 2:32am
post #56 of 76

I just wanted to pop in and let anyone in the US know the Lyle's Golden Syrup is available at Amazon in case you can't find it locally.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=golden%20syrup&sprefix=golde%2Cgrocery&rh=i%3Agrocery%2Ck%3Agolden%20syrup

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 8:50am
post #57 of 76

A

Original message sent by CakeChemistry

Ha ha this is funny! I'm a Brit so no Aussie lingo from me ya big galah (channelling Alf Stewart). Hokey pokey is regional name for honeycomb, boil up some golden syrup, whack in some bicarbonate of soda and delight in the excitement that ensues. Cornish fairings are gooey biscuits, awesome. My nan used to make them and they were bigger than my head. Awesome. You can make a quick syrup pudding in the microwave. Grease a plastic bowl, squirt hopeless amounts of syrup in the bottom, whip up a basic sponge (suggest the four threes method), whack it on top of the syrup. Cover with cling, put in the dinger for eight - ten on high or till done. Turn out of bowl, watch syrup ooze. Potentially have third degree burn from syrup depending on how impatient you are to dig in. Throw some bright yellow Birds on top and voila! That's how they do it oooooooopppppppp north in the UK!

I'm from 't up north and I've never had this! We had treacle pudding but not GS. My mum used to steam it in a pan back in those days though.

Never heard of hokey pokey (as a name, I know honeycomb) or Cornish fairings though.

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 9:50am
post #58 of 76

ATreacle and golden syrup are the same thing. Black treacle/ molasses is different.

810whitechoc Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 10:01am
post #59 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

Crunchy all the way for me.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 10:20am
post #60 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakemaker 

Treacle and golden syrup are the same thing. Black treacle/ molasses is different.

Definately NOT the same thing here in Australia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%