Baby Block Cakes Question..

Decorating By debiz1123 Updated 17 Oct 2007 , 8:09pm by bittytw25

debiz1123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debiz1123 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:57am
post #1 of 5

I would like to make a cake similar to the the ones in the gallery, I read on one of them they used a 2 X 6 square pan, I have searched the internet and can't find one this size. Any one know where I might find one, or what else I could use to get that size.

Thank you for any help you can give!

Debbie

4 replies
sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 5:05am
post #2 of 5

When I've made mine, I've just used a bigger square or rectangle cake and cut it to size. Like I'll take a 12x18 and cut 6, 6" squares out of it. This makes 2 6x6 blocks (2" layers, 3 layers tall) Much less baking time than baking a bunch of 2x6" cakes.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 5:13am
post #3 of 5

I agree with sun33082, it's much easier to bake a larger cake and cut it down. Since with smaller cakes you have more to bake.

You will have to deal with the crumbs but if you are familiar with freezing you will find that crumb coasting work out good while still frozen.

Good Luck.

debiz1123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debiz1123 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 5:34am
post #4 of 5

I'm familiar with the crumb coating but I didn't know you could do it with the cake frozen?? I'm pretty knew at this and am loving it, it is time consuming but fun and relaxing (most of the time).

Thanks for your help, I was concerned using a larger pan, that the blocks may not match in size, but I noticed in one of the baby block cakes it looks like they just cut one corner out and placed in on top of the cake and decorated it like it was four blocks, hope that makes sense.

Debbie

bittytw25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittytw25 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 5

Any ideas for the cake do you all use homemade cakes or box mix. I have a baby block cake due next saturday so I have made one this week to try and lots of cumbs on the crumb coat so I didn't know if I should use a dense cake or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%