I'm So Mad, I Could Cry!!!!

Decorating By armywife1 Updated 1 Sep 2007 , 4:45pm by fearlessbaker

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 20

Okay. So, I spend hours upon hours baking, leveling, filling, frosting, decorating my cake. It is, or shall I say WAS, 3 tiers tall. It's in my photos (the ARMY A one). I kept insisting last night that my DH let me drive him to work, so that one of us could hold it steady for a safe transport. Well, he kept on saying it wasn't necessary and to stop worrying because the "cake will be fine". I said, "Yes, but I can just drop you off and then come and pick you up." He kept insisting that "the cake would be fine". Well, he just drove away a few minutes ago. About 2 minutes ago he called. Nobody was holding my dear cake and.... it crashed!!!!!! Yes I had a dowel going through them, but I just knew that someone needed to hold that cake!!! Bottom line is always go with your gut and treat your cakes like you do your children... NEVER LET THEM OUT OF YOUR SITE UNTIL THEY ARE IN SAFE HANDS!!!!
I'm off now to try to get this awful knot out of my stomach!!
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

19 replies
Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 20

icon_surprised.gif I'm surprised he had the guts to tell you. I'm so sorry.

armywife1 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 20

Thanks Candes.... My husband is like our children LOL! If he messes up, he knows to come clean right away or face SEVERE consequences. icon_wink.gif

DuckyChickenLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuckyChickenLady Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 20

OMG! I am so sorry....Our gut seems to always know best!

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 20

UGH - that's not a phone call I would have wanted! You poor thing!! Husband owes you BIG TIME!

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 20

armywife1,

OMG'SSSSSSSSSS I AM SO SORRY I AM CRYING RIGHT THERE WITH YOU THIS HAPPEND TO ME ONES. icon_cry.gif I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL.

SENDING YOU HUGS()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

MAKE SURE THAT YOU SOMETHING OUT OF THIS. AFTER ALL IT WAS HIS FAULT. LOL HE BETTER BUY YOU SOMETHING NICE GO SHOPPING THAT ALWAYS HELPS ME.

MICHELLE

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 20

yikes. how was it positioned in the car? i always put a piece of non slip grip mat (walmart $1 a roll) underneath the cake box or board and it doesnt shift. ...along with the dowel of course, but the non slip stuff really works well.

kkelch75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkelch75 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 20

So sorry this happened!! Hope things work out o.k.! Tell your husband he really, really owes you!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 20

Hence, the reason I do not stack cakes until they get to where they need to be. I box each tier separately, with no-slip under each cake board.

If I will not be doing the stacking, I make an indentation in the fondant/icing, where the next tier should be to center it. Tiered cakes are arranged by me, only.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:50pm
post #10 of 20

I always stack my cakes in my shop and deliver them fully finished...unless of course they need fresh flowers to be placed. I use a skid mat underneath and NEVER hold them. As straight and level as you think your legs are...one move and the cake can crack.

I'm so sorry your beautiful cake passed on...don't be too hard on the hubby though...he probably feels really lousy. icon_sad.gif

melysa Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

I always stack my cakes in my shop and deliver them fully finished...unless of course they need fresh flowers to be placed. I use a skid mat underneath and NEVER hold them. As straight and level as you think your legs are...one move and the cake can crack.

I'm so sorry your beautiful cake passed on...don't be too hard on the hubby though...he probably feels really lousy. icon_sad.gif

me too, i almost always pre assemble and i never hold them. always the floor!

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 20

Oh honey I'm so sorry this happened. What an unfortunate end for a wonderful cake icon_sad.gif

armywife1 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:09am
post #13 of 20

Crying update... I was still upset when DH came home. That was until he came up to me, hugged me really tightly, and said "Please don't be mad at me. I really beat myself up at work about this because I know how hard you worked on the cake. I really am sorry." AWWWW... I definitely could NOT stay mad at him after that. He took me and the kids out to a nice dinner. Things are better... Nobody was hurt, so no need to grudge about it! icon_wink.gif

armywife1 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:10am
post #14 of 20

P.S. Thanks to everyone for all of your support and hugs! It's nice to be able to vent to people who understand.

dupart30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dupart30 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:31am
post #15 of 20

oh my goodness, I am so sorry that happened. it was a beautiful cake.

melysa Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 7:52am
post #16 of 20

sweet~

illini89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illini89 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 8:42am
post #17 of 20

I too am sending you lots of hugs from far away!
I can only imagine how upset you are and how mad you were at your husband. And he should feel guilty, but he confessed right away and it sounds like he too is very upset. Not everyone would admit what happened. Glad to hear that everything is back on track! Next time, though I am sure you will guard your cake till the very end!!!!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 10:29am
post #18 of 20

I'm so sorry to hear about your cake. You must have been heartbroken, but I'm glad you're taking it well, and no grudges will be held.

Husbands can be wonderful. icon_smile.gif

I thought mine was going to cry right along with me tonight, when I had one disaster after another. He was wonderful, though. I would have never made it through this night, or even this week, without him.

Take care.. I wish you the best of luck on your next cake.

Holly

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 11:16am
post #19 of 20

awww-too bad about your cake, but your hubby is aces. Mine called me with the same scenario one day. He has learned that carrying cake is not like carrying a duffel bag, to not pick it up by the edges of the board without a little support in the middle, and to use non-skid mats underneath...just like I asked him to. He felt so horrible I didn't have to say anything at all-it was all over his face how sorry he was.

I do not recommend ever holding your cake though. Get yourself some non-skid matting and it won't budge. The "I thought it would be safer if I held the cake" stories are all over the disaster forum. My favorite was when a bridesmaid was holding the cake in the back of the limo...limo stopped short and bridesmaid was WEARING the cake in the back of the limo-forgive me for not remembering whose story that is. I will never forget that one!

Good luck on your next one! You and hubby will learn together as we have!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:45pm
post #20 of 20

Always use the non skid mats. Even if you only use straws for dowels your cake will not move anywhere.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%