Substituting Pumpkin Same As Applesauce?

Decorating By LucyintheSky Updated 1 Nov 2006 , 10:23pm by TexasSugar

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 21

I found a recipe using a box mix spice cake that uses applesauce to replace the water in the recipe. I would love to try this with canned pumpkin... Do you think I could substitute the applesauce in the recipe with pumpkin? Would it still be an okay consistency? It seems like canned pumpkin would be a similar consistency to applesauce, but I'm not sure about the moisture content. Does anyone have experience and/ advice for using canned pumpkin in cakes?

20 replies
aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 21

I just went to a Healthy Eating seminar and one of the instructors said that you can use applesauce and pumpkin as replacements for oils. She recently used pumpkin to replace vegetable oil in a spice bread mix.

kellyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyo Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 21

That's a genius idea!! I say the only way to find out is to go for it (or course that could be my inexperience speaking, lol) icon_smile.gif Bump!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 21

I've never tried it but I would think that it would work! I'd love to know if it works. Let us know!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 21

I never thought of nor tried pumpkin, but I've used applesauce on many occasions and nobody has ever known the difference. I don't think it affects the cake at all or at least it hasn't when I've done it. Hmmm, pumpkin. I can't wait to try that one.

Thanks for the hint.

LucyintheSky Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 21

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll just try it and see! I found one recipe where applesauce is the substitute for oil and one where it replaces water... Not sure which one I'll try, but I'll let you know how it works!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 21

were the applesauce and water of equal measurements?

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 21

I'd like to know this too! I just did a pumpkin spice cake yesterday with a box mix-- did everything the same except added a can of pumpkin, substituted some of the water with orange juice and added cinnamon and ginger. Tasted really good but the layers were much thinner and denser. I think I'll try your way!

LucyintheSky Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:25am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

were the applesauce and water of equal measurements?

It was substituting 1 1/4 cups of applesauce for 1 1/3 cups of water. This, plus the cake mix, 1/3 veg. oil and 3 eggs.

The other substitution I found was cake mix, 3 eggs, 1 cup water (reduced from 1 1/3 when not using applesauce), 1/3 cup applesauce (instead of 1/3 cup veg oil)

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:25am
post #10 of 21

I change my pumpkin roll recipe to apple by substituting applesauce for the pumpkin. Works great!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 3:59am
post #11 of 21

When I substitute the applesauce for the oil, I use equal amounts (however much oil is called for is how much applesauce I use). Also, don't know if it matters or not, but I use the unsweetened applesauce.

littlecake Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:38am
post #12 of 21

i'm gonna try the canned pumpkin and the applesauce with a cinnamon swirl cake for the holidays....

i bake tomorrow so if i get time i'll try it and let you know how it turns out...

i'm looking for a rich cake so i'm gonna keep the oil in.

littlecake Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 4:23am
post #13 of 21

well i tried them both....and they seemed too dry, esp. the pumpkin...

they tasted pretty good....i might try it the next time and use a stick of butter instead if 1/3 oil.....

what do ya think?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 4:33am
post #14 of 21

I know this is probably too late but I have been in the kitchen more than online lately so when I'm here I've just skimmed posts.

The Cake Mix Doctor has a recipe for a Pumpkin Spice cake. I don't have the book here with me, so someone that does might want to double check it for me. icon_smile.gif But from what I can remember it is:

1 spice cake mix (I used DH)
1 box of vanilla pudding (I used butterscotch)
3 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 cup pumpkin
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger

It's a very good, moist cake. I got lots of good comments about it.

littlecake Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 5:34am
post #15 of 21

thanx texas......

i'll try that in the next day or 2...man i hate when they don't turn out just delightful!

that's a cute doggie...is it yours?

TexasSugar Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 5:51am
post #16 of 21

Yep, I claim him on most days. icon_smile.gif

I really liked the recipe. I wrapped the cakes in foil over night and it was still very moist today when I was icing it.

LucyintheSky Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 12:53pm
post #17 of 21

TexasSugar,
Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try... I'll be baking tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

PS- Love the FFA cake in your photos. I'm an agriculture teacher/FFA advisor and was thinking about doing one for our banquet in the spring. Is the logo a FBCT?

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 1:07pm
post #18 of 21

That sounds SO good... I'm going to try that this morning!!! Thanks for the recipe!!

GrannieJ Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 1:08pm
post #19 of 21

How did you ice this cake?
Cream cheese?

GrannieJ Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 7:00pm
post #20 of 21

So, I had to try this cake!! Thank you TexasSugar!!
It is wonderful! I filled it with cinnamon bc (thank you Jen1977!!) and frosted with cream cheese, and it is SO good!! Thanks every one!!

TexasSugar Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 10:23pm
post #21 of 21

LucyintheSky, Thank you! Yes it is a FBCT. It took forever to pipe the outline and the details, but I was happy with it when I got it done.

GrannieJ, I used a regular buttercream because I used it for one of my pumpkin cakes and needed to be able to smooth it nicely. A cinnamon buttercream would be yummy on it. I don't often make cream cheese icing since you have to keep it in the fridge, but I bet that was good as well. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%