Wilton Classes

Decorating By cakelady Updated 21 Jul 2005 , 6:19pm by cakegal

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 4

I would like some advice......I have been thinking about taking the decorating classes at Michael's or Joann's.......to learn fondant and gumpaste.......those of you who have taken the class.....was it worth it and do you recommend it?

3 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 4

I just signed up for the classes at Joanns as a refresher (never heard of fondant until I signed on here), as I took classes a billion years ago. From what I understand, you have to take course 1 and 2 to get into course 3.

As for "is it worth it?", I'd say yes. You can socialie with other decorators and trade secrets, learn new tricks, or just perfect skills you already have.

Debbi

sammsuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammsuts Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 4

My two cents...I just finished the Wilton gumpaste course, and didn't find it very helpful. Basically, the instructor taught from the book, which you get when you buy the gumpast cutters, so I felt as though I could've taught myself! Maybe it was just my instructor, but it was definitely NOT worth the $. I took Courses 1, 2 and 3, and felt they were a lot more useful.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 4

I took courses 1 2 and 3.... then they came out with the new books they're using now.... I would love to take course 3 over, but they still have the same instructor, and I would like a more experienced teacher to learn from...The reason I say this is...why would I want to pay to take a class with someone who really can't show me the tricks of the trade....
I bought the new course 3 book and I love some of the new stuff they're teaching in it....soooooo, I'm gonna have to wait til I find someone with more experience to teach me the new stuff...
cakegal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%