Toba Garret's Fondant

Decorating By diane Updated 1 Sep 2007 , 6:48pm by messyeater

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 11:06am
post #1 of 22

i made a batch of this stuff yesterday and couldn't stop picking at it...it is soooo good! good-bye mmf!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

i made a batch of this stuff yesterday and couldn't stop picking at it...it is soooo good! good-bye mmf!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

AMEN, SISTA!!

Per suggestion of another thread, I made a batch of MMF and one of Toba's fondant recipe and taste-tested with the family. Toba's won hands down. It also held the flavor better. The texture melts in your mouth! And it wasn't any harder to make! I used the KA with the dough hook to get almost all of the sugar in.
I used Lorann oils and clear vanilla to flavor for my DD's sweet 16 cake. I made 8 batches of fondant per the Wilton charts, and had 3 batches, 6 lbs, left over. It seems to go farther than the MMF did. I can't wait to make another cake today and some sugar cookies to put the fondant on!!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 22

I think it tastes great also, but had a real hard time working with it.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

Mee too! I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

MissRobin Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Quote:

I wish I knew also, because the taste was wonderful, but when I tried to cover my cake, it ripped everywhere. Maybe I needed more powdered sugar, I will try it again!!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 22

where is the recipe for Toba's fondant??
can you make it chocolate??

FrostinGal Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wish I knew also, because the taste was wonderful, but when I tried to cover my cake, it ripped everywhere. Maybe I needed more powdered sugar, I will try it again!!

Don't know if you used it or not, but I used the glycerine and had no trouble with ripping. Perhaps you needed more sugar? I ended up using about another 2-4 oz. of additional sugar, or so, per batch.

MissRobin Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostinGal

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't know if you used it or not, but I used the glycerine and had no trouble with ripping. Perhaps you needed more sugar? I ended up using about another 2-4 oz. of additional sugar, or so, per batch.

I did actually use the glycerine, I think I just needed to add more powdered sugar.

FrostinGal Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

where is the recipe for Toba's fondant??
can you make it chocolate??

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2127-Toba-Garretts-fondant.html

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 22

LOVE Toba's recipe icon_biggrin.gif I just got done covering a 3 tier cake with it icon_smile.gif and yes, I was taking a few taste tests along the way icon_redface.gif

I have found that when I make it, I do need to add more powdered sugar than the recipe suggests or it will stick to the work surface and also will droop.

FrostinGal Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:56pm
post #11 of 22

Something I just thought of, I let it sit two nights before using. I don't know if this has anything to do with the texture, but it's just the way it worked out.

LaSombra Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostinGal

Something I just thought of, I let it sit two nights before using. I don't know if this has anything to do with the texture, but it's just the way it worked out.

I think the recipe tells you to let it sit for a day or so anyway and that's also what I do. I think it must be to let the gelatin firm up before use.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 11:04pm
post #13 of 22

I added melted white chocolate and almond flavoring to this fondant. Very yummy!

LaSombra Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 11:10pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by revel

I added melted white chocolate and almond flavoring to this fondant. Very yummy!

mmm that sounds very good icon_smile.gif

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 11:10pm
post #15 of 22

Toba G. ROCKS! thumbs_up.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

FrostinGal Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:19am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by revel

Mmmmmmmm!
I just happen to have some of both items.....YUM!
Thanks for the tip!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:24pm
post #17 of 22

I'm going to give it another try real soon. I've been so busy since school started back with soccer, volleyball, dance, homework......you get the picture!

When you guys have made it and added the extra sugar was it in the bowl or on the work surface when you were kneading it?

I think another idea I want to try is to buy some vinyl from the craft dept. to roll it on. Has this worked for any of you?

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:37pm
post #18 of 22

I just made his fondant last night. I split the recipe into two... one to die red, one to die blue. The blue half is fine but the red half is now in the trash! It wouldn't even roll out nicely! Anyone have any tips on that? Is it something in the red die? I had to knead the red a bit more due to all the coloring, could that be it?

LaSombra Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:39pm
post #19 of 22

I only add 1/2 the sugar while in the bowl, then I dump the rest of the sugar on my board and spread it out before plopping the goo on top. Then I throw a little of the sugar on top so it doesn't stick to my hands so bad and then start kneading in the rest of the sugar until it's no longer sticky. I don't add the shortening later. Instead, I grease the bowl before putting it all in there and it picks up the shortening while I'm mixing. Works out fine that way.

I haven't tried vinyl myself but that sounds like a good idea. Let us know if it works icon_smile.gif

I understand about kids and school. I only have one that's school age and that keeps me busy enough. He's into soccer now that it's fall and it's a couple days a week now. Baseball was much worse though. It was 3 days a week between 2 practices and a game and then some of the games were away games. They're only 5/6 years old and already with away games?? That was exhausting. I'm not looking forward to when all three are into sports and such at the same time and me as the chaufeure (and wanting to see as much of it as well).

LaSombra Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:43pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by smab109

I just made his fondant last night. I split the recipe into two... one to die red, one to die blue. The blue half is fine but the red half is now in the trash! It wouldn't even roll out nicely! Anyone have any tips on that? Is it something in the red die? I had to knead the red a bit more due to all the coloring, could that be it?

I'm not sure myself. I made a cake with burgundy fondant (package cake in my gallery), and it ended up fine because the burgundy was only the "ribbon" on the package so didn't have to cover the cake or anything but it was very difficult to roll out. I used the same fondant as what I'd used to cover the cake, only I kneaded in the color later. The white was like a dream to roll out but after I added the color... thumbsdown.gif

I've been told that it's better to add the color before mixing it all together but if you're only needing a little bit, it doesn't seem worth it to make a whole batch. Maybe adding more glycerin would be a good idea? I haven't tested this myself but I could see where that might work...

FrostinGal Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 5:24pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:

When you guys have made it and added the extra sugar was it in the bowl or on the work surface when you were kneading it?

I think another idea I want to try is to buy some vinyl from the craft dept. to roll it on. Has this worked for any of you?

Some of the extra sugar I added while it was still in the mixer. I didn't take it out of the mixer until it made a ball around the dough hook. Then depending on the texture when it came out of the mixer, if it was still tacky to the touch or not, we added more while kneading. Each batch differed in how much to add.

I've used vinyl before and it does help. I haven't used it with TG fondant, but with Pettinice, which we used to use at the bakery. I just bought the vinyl at Walmart in the fabric dept. I used one of the heavier ones.

I found that I had no trouble at all with the fondant coloring, but I also used powdered color. I like it best because it doesn't color my hands. It didn't affect the texture.

Did you add more sugar after coloring? I would think that you would have to add more sugar to counteract the amount of food color paste for a dark color like red. I've had to do that before for dark colors.

messyeater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messyeater Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 6:48pm
post #22 of 22

I was having a terrible day after trying Debbie brown's recipe for sugarpaste (fondant), it was an absolute disaster and just crumbled when I tried to roll it out icon_mad.gif Whatever you do give that one a miss!!
Anyway I thought I'd try this and it came out fantastic!

I don't know how much sugar I used because I just kept adding it straight from the sack but I'm guessing half again times the recipe.

I too started it in the ka and when it just started to come together I switched to kneading small amounts of sugar in by hand.
I used 10g of leaf gelatin rather than powdered...I don't know if you can get it everywhere in the US but here in Italy it's all we have.
I did use glycerine and then at the end I rubbed in a little crisco.

Anyway I've just used some of it to cover a small square dummy and it was fine, no splitting and it was much easier to use than my regular fondant (renshaws from the UK). It rolled very thin without sticking and went on the cake great I coloured a small amount to see how it would work and it seemed ok, I made a couple of ribbon roses without any problems.
I'm going to let it sit tonight before I make the rest of the roses, bows etc...

I'm very excited about this recipe, it's going to save me a fortune...I normally have my fondant shipped from the UK for a cost of about $10 for every 2lbs!! I'm having a much better day now! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%