Organizing All Your Cake Stuff Photo Tutorial

Decorating By cakesbykitty Updated 14 Aug 2014 , 4:42am by Dionne1024

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 6:00pm
post #121 of 168

you guys are so funny.... i can't believe this thread is still going! Since i posted it i have added a rack of glass jars filled with different dragees, re-organized my pan closet to accomodate all my pans and serving pieces and am currently working on an airbrushing station.
LL

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 8:43pm
post #122 of 168

Just saw this thread, absolutely wonderful! I printed each picture and plan to duplicate, I will post a sign giving you credit stating "Designs by Alaskanmom"!

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 8:53pm
post #123 of 168

Okay, got a couple of questions. Where did you get the Craftsman chest and the tips/dragees organizer from? And about how much did they run you back when ya first got them? I am trying to price out a kitchen that will work for me.

cakesbykitty Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 9:08pm
post #124 of 168

LOL... OKRED I AM TOTALLY FLATTERED! as for where i got the chests... the craftsman was from sears. It had a small dent in one of the drawers (that hubby popped right back out) so we got it for $125!!!! about half the regular price here in Alaska. the tip organizer was from Alaska Industrial Hardware... check True Value, Walmart, Ace Hardware, Lowes or Home Depot. They have a huge selection of organizers in the tool department for screws, nuts, bolts, etc. Good luck!!!!

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:11pm
post #125 of 168

I went to Lowes and purchased a 5 tray rolling cart with a wooden top on it for about $100 and it has been wonderful! I then went to JoAnn Fabrics when they were running their 50% all storage bins and purchased several small, medium and the big plastic bins with lids.

I put my tips and small colors in the small bins along with my flower stamens, stickers, etc. The middle sized ones hold my larger bottles of color, flavoring bottles, etc. I used the big bins to put all of my cake pans in, stacked if possible.

Then I found a 5 shelf plastic storage shelf for around $30 at Lowes too, so I have put more cake pans (ones that wont stack like the ball pan), my crisco, powdered sugar boxes, rolling pins, mixing bowls, etc.

LOVE IT! It took me about 1 Saturday to get it all organized, but I know exactly where everything is now and almost all of my tools are in the rolling cart mentioned above, so I can roll it in the kitchen when I need it and then roll it right back into the spare bedroom/a.k.a. the 'Cake' room now.

irishteabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irishteabear Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:36pm
post #126 of 168

Wow, I'm jealous! I'm just a newbie in the cake making addiction and I already have stuff all over the place!

Hmm, that gets me thinking.... My hubbie has a huge Craftsman tool chest out in the garage full of tools he doesn't use too often. Do you think he'd mind if I just dumped the drawers into boxes and took it over? icon_lol.gif

cakesbykitty Posted 2 May 2007 , 5:21pm
post #127 of 168

KEEP ME IN YOUR PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS! WE ARE MOVING icon_surprised.gif ... THAT MEANS MOVING MY ORGANIZED SPACE! Yes, we are leaving Alaska and headed for Nebraska. icon_biggrin.gif I have no idea what my space will be like there. icon_surprised.gif Heart pounding, palms sweating... will send pics of the new place when we get set up by the end of June!!! Kitty thumbs_up.gif

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 2 May 2007 , 6:34pm
post #128 of 168

save

wolfley29 Posted 2 May 2007 , 8:33pm
post #129 of 168

alaskanmom, wow, lucky you for getting out of here. I will keep you in my prayers. I am hoping to be gone by the first of July to GA, but won't know for sure for another 12 days or so. It's a shame we didn't get to meet.

smitti1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitti1 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 8:51pm
post #130 of 168

While you are looking around for storage items, take a look at fishing tackle boxes for things that you need to be more mobile, like delivering cakes. Lots of small & various size compartments, etc.

I haven't read this entire thread, so this may be a repeat of someone else's reply.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:52pm
post #131 of 168

So I have to ask KakesbyKitty... is the new area organized yet? Do we get pictures of the new space also?

TrinaH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrinaH Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 9:01am
post #132 of 168

I was wondering the same thing!

purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 7 Oct 2007 , 8:33pm
post #133 of 168

How are things going your way?

I hope all is well and the move went great! icon_biggrin.gif

shebellas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebellas Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:30am
post #134 of 168

I thought I was organized...mine is NOTHING compared to yours! I hope your move went well, would love to see pics of the new space. I am going to have organization dreams tonight...then have all these ideas tomorrow that are going to kill my boyfriend...I'll have him send his complaint letter your way, lol! You're an inspiration!

TrinaH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrinaH Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 6:41am
post #135 of 168

You've inspired me! I have a big 4 drawer Rubbermaid heavy-duty drawer set (the kind you get in the "outdoor/garage" area ... not the flimsy ones you get in the home storage area) and I think it'll work almost as well as your Craftsman! I just need to get bins to seperate stuff into! Right now, stuff is sort of tossed in!

Shazzicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzicakes Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:16am
post #136 of 168

Wow!! I am ASTOUNDED by how organised everyone else seems to be!!
Am busy trying to get more organised, but will be sure NOT to show my DH these pics, as that is what he wishes I was like!!..
Alas, I am one untidy worker!!

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 7:33am
post #137 of 168

This topic has been wonderfully inspiring, especially since I just told my mom I expect help organizing my kitchen and second bedroom with all the cake things I inherited from her when she comes to visit--and she thought she was going on vacation. I'm interested in seeing pictures from the Nebraska house--did you make it there? How have things changed since the move?
Quick question regarding storage--in my Wilton classes, I was always told to store my RI flowers in tin boxes only. I have many more gladware/ziplock containers and see that other people use those. What are people's opinions or storing flowers?
-allison

lami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lami Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 9:39am
post #138 of 168

Thanks for sharing. You are so organized. I am going to rearrange my stuff. It makes your job easier.

cakesbykitty Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:59am
post #139 of 168

well, you all would just be too disappointed to see it now.... we are renting a teeny tiny (and i mean TEENY TINY) 700 square foot home till we move to the town we want to be in next spring and all my stuff is still in bins, boxes and the garage!!! that's why you haven't heard from me lately! I haven't been caking! I MISS IT SOOOOO MUCH. I AM GOING THRU WITHDRAWALS. LOL LOL LOL I will be sure and post new pics as soon as i am set up. In the meantime, i got some great news! My castle cake will be featured in MAILBOX NEWS next July in a how to article! too fun! Keep in touch all, i can live thru your cakes till i get a normal kitchen again!!!! Kitty

purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:44am
post #140 of 168

kakesbykitty,

Sorry to hear that you are crammed for space, but hang in there girl!
We are still totally inspired by you and will be on the edge of our seats to see more pics from ya!

Congratulations on your upcoming article, that's awesome! I am so excited for you!

Now, if only I had the magazine! icon_cry.gif

mommarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommarivera Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:51am
post #141 of 168

WOW!!! we also live in a tiny house but I am not that organized not even close!!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:53am
post #142 of 168

I need a lot more space than this....lol

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:01am
post #143 of 168

I have not received an email notification on this in quite some time!!! icon_cry.gif Glad to see it's still going strong! icon_biggrin.gif

kcjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcjc Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:28am
post #144 of 168

kacesbykitty, have anxiously been awaiting your return.Sorry your squeezed into what sounds to be even smaller but time flies and hopefully when july rolls around it will be worth the wait.Just to let you know I looked into Sears on line & it had your cake (tool) chest on sale, or very similar in colors other than red. It's not something I can do now but am so inspired by you. Love your ideas. My little ranch is 1100 or 1200 sq ft. I thought I was doing the best I could w/space but youv'e helped me out. Thanks and CONGRATS ! on the article. Karen

wolfley29 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:51pm
post #145 of 168

Hey Kitty, I ended up getting a 15 drawer tool chest from Sears about 3 months ago, and I LOVE it! It has locking bars so I don't have to worry about the kids getting into my stuff anymore. One of these days I promise to take pictures of my kitchen/dining room area.

And we get to move in March, yippee!!!! we are headed to GA finally.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 6:59pm
post #146 of 168

AWESOME organization skills! I wish I had the room to organize like that. Some day.

Thanks for sharing!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 8:12pm
post #147 of 168

I have to comment here so I can save this to read more later. Craftsman is all my DH owns in tool boxes. He has one that's about 6' long. I'll have to show him these pics so he can see how he can help me get more organized. He'll be thrilled! Uh huh....

I have all my stuff organized in 2 tall stacks of plastic drawers in a closet. I'd like to have my tips better organized. Once I am back to doing more cakes again I will get more storage. You are an inspiration!

MadeYaLook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadeYaLook Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 8:45pm
post #148 of 168

save

MadeYaLook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadeYaLook Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 5:58pm
post #149 of 168

okay so I saved this forum quite some time ago, but alas, my patience has paid off. Today I ourchased a 13 drawer tool chest organizer from walmart today for $99. It isn't very big and certainly no CraftsMan, but it will do. I will let you guys know how the organizing goes. I only have one small closet of space in my house for my crafty things. Wish me luck.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:24am
post #150 of 168

Can you come and do my space???? Wonderful!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%