Help: Making This Awesome Topper

Decorating By CherryBomb Updated 31 Aug 2007 , 2:32pm by Daisy1

CherryBomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryBomb Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 9

I have a fall theme cake due in a few months and I LOVE the way the designer put together this leafy topper. Can anyone figure out how she did it? My guess is that there is some wire involved. Also, if anyone has a good source for natural looking fall leaf cutters, please, share!

8 replies
brookegamble Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookegamble Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 9

It looks as though they may be just wired and stuck in place instead of as all one unit.

cookiecutter.com has several different types of leaf cutters

CherryBomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryBomb Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 12:59am
post #3 of 9

That's what I thought because I only see the wire on the one sticking right out of the middle.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 1:09am
post #4 of 9

I would definetly stick the major ones on wires to keep them in place and keep it neat looking. They definetly used wire because you can see the one in the middle.

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 8:37am
post #5 of 9

Can't help but just wanted to say that looks like the exact cake my soon to be daughter in law ordered for the wedding for Sept. 8th.
Hope all goes well for you,
Susie

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:30am
post #6 of 9

i can only make out one wire...how are the other leaves so stiff?? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:46am
post #7 of 9

You can "paint" tinted chocolate, or candy melts onto real leaves, and when the chocolate sets up, you peal the leaf off and have your "leaf"..... be sure to paint the BACK of the leaf though, because that is where the veins will show up.......

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:48am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

You can "paint" tinted chocolate, or candy melts onto real leaves, and when the chocolate sets up, you peal the leaf off and have your "leaf"..... be sure to paint the BACK of the leaf though, because that is where the veins will show up.......

that's right!!!! i remember a tutorial i saw somewhere where they did this.
thanks for reminding me!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 9

Nick Lodge makes awesome leaf cutter and veiner sets. I used them on my leaf cake in my bio. I would make some of the leaves on wires and others without (use gumpaste). Thin the edges then lay on slightly crumpled foil to get the movement. Then wire some together as the topper and attach the non-wired leafs with buttercream. As for color, I start with light yellow then add highlights of orange, red, green, and bronze petal dusts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%