Please Help-Getting Nervous!

Decorating By jbmommy Updated 31 Aug 2007 , 12:10am by lynda-bob

jbmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbmommy Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a pirate ship cake next week for my son. His party is going to be outside in Texas so I am anticpating 90+ degree weather.(it is in the morning, but it gets hot quickly here)

I asked a friend who is a pastry chef about icing and she suggested ganache. I LOVE the taste and color and it is certainly easier for me to make, but I am scared that it will just melt right off the cake in the heat.

I need a good icing recipe for chocolate icing that will be able to stand up to the heat and be piped(not alot, just some decor)

This is my biggest project so far and I am very nervous about doing it.

THanks for any help!

B

4 replies
omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 5

There is a chocolate buttercream recipe listed on the newest recipes CC home page that sounds really good, maybe you can pm the person that posted it and ask @ the heat exposure.
Good Luck

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 5

Hi...I'm in TX also! I love to use the chocolate frosting recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can. It's comes out dark brown, tastes great, and holds up well. When I want chocolate buttercream (not so dark and lighter texture) I add some of the frosting to my buttercream or sometimes just add the cocoa powder itself to my buttercream if I don't need dark chocolate. Sorry it sounded so verbose. I hope I was understandable icon_razz.gif Anyway, If you want to see some examples of the chocolate frostings, there are some in my pix. HTH icon_smile.gif

jbmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbmommy Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 5

So, is ganache a good choice?

B

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 12:10am
post #5 of 5

While I have used ganache before, I've never tried it outdoors in our 90-100 degree weather. I think I'd be scared... Maybe I just don't know enough, though.

Does anyone else know?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%