Crying Over Red Fondant.....

Decorating By korine Updated 1 Sep 2007 , 1:46am by springlakecake

korine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korine Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 6:07am
post #1 of 8

I am desperately trying to make fondant red....I have a cars cake to make this saturday, and have no where to buy red fondant. My first try turned hot pink, the second maroon....and not a very nice texture.... icon_confused.gif any suggestions? please..... icon_cry.gificon_sad.gif
does the wilton spray on color work well? would that be a viable option?

7 replies
Erlyns_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erlyns_Treats Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 6:27am
post #2 of 8

hmmm with red its always good to use the americolor red and do it a day before and let set in fridge. HTH

marecip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marecip Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 6:30am
post #3 of 8

I have a cars cake in my pics. I used MMF with red added plus I added red candy melts. I just added extra 10x sugar until it was workable.
I make my MMF with a 16oz container of Marshmallow Fluff & a 2lb bag of 10x sugar. No need to melt anything although sometimes I stick the Fluff container in the microwave for a minute but it's not necessary. And there is no need to add flavor unless you want something other than vanilla.
Good luck!...let me know how it goes.

By the way, I've found the cakes I panic/cry over turn out the best!

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 6:54am
post #4 of 8

If you make your owm MFF or fondant, add the color before the powdered sugar. And use Americolor if possible. It's the only way and only takes a couple tsp color.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 8

One CC'er posted that she saw Duff spray his fondant (already on the cake) with yellow, then orange, then red. She tried this with BC, too, and it worked out well. I haven't tried it yet. I avoid red whenever possible because it's such a pain for me. If you have time, you could buy red fondant.

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 8

I know this isn't going to help you now. But I always keep a container of red and black satin ice on hand for these things that come up. Best of luck. Maybe add a drop of black to the red to help deepen the color?

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:53am
post #7 of 8

As lsawyer said, try it yellow, then orange and then red. I did this to make the red for my Canada Day cake and it worked like a charm. You may have to add alot of red but it works!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 1:46am
post #8 of 8

I made red mmf for my 'cars' cake and it isnt easy! I feel your pain. It took me a couple of tries. First cut way way back on the water you add if you are making mmf. Add Americolor super red before adding the powdered sugar as someone suggested. My mmf was a bit stretchier than usual (without the water I guess) and it wasnt bad. But I dont think I would want to make it again. I bought some satin ice for next time! BUT you can do it!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=325683

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%