Omg!! It Worked Like A Charm

Decorating By JoanneK Updated 29 Oct 2006 , 6:34am by cakesbykitty

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 3:00am
post #1 of 10

I finally got a chance to use the paint roller to smooth a cake. I almost fell over at how great it worked. Much better then I dreamed it would. I finally can smooth a cake now! I am sooooooo happy.

Thanks for the tips! This is the best group ever.

Joanne

9 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 3:07am
post #2 of 10

alright, I really need to try this now!

Chauntelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chauntelle Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 3:12am
post #3 of 10

How exactly does that work? DO you put something over the cake before you roll it?

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 3:12am
post #4 of 10

bought my paint roller friday icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif -just waiting to try it !!

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 3:15am
post #5 of 10

Yes....please explain....that's two new tips I've read tonight for smoothing icing that I have never heard of.

Paint roller
Use a spray bottle filled with water.

Is the paint roller used with fondant or with BC?
I'd love to know more about both if anyone else has any info...

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 3:18am
post #6 of 10

I used the paint roller along with a viva paper towel.. Lay the viva on the cake after it crusts and roll it smooth. It works great.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 3:29am
post #7 of 10

Melvira came up with this technque. Search :I share because I care

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmettiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmettiger Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 4:48am
post #9 of 10

I can explain the spray bottle technique. Begin by crumb coating your cake, let it crust and then put the second coat of buttercream on. After you smooth the 2nd coat of buttercream as well as you can, take your spray bottle filled with water and lightly mist the surface of the cake a couple of times. Then you go back with your spatula and smooth the top of the cake. Repeat the same spraying around all sides of the cake and then smooth. The spatula should easily glide across the surface; if it drags the icing use a little more water. When you have the water on the surface of the cake you do not need to use as much pressure with the spatula as you would normally also. I probably made it sound more complicated than it really is. But, it really works great for me. Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 6:34am
post #10 of 10

i bought the foam paint roller tonight at wal-mart. they only had the 3 inch one... think it will work?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%