Spelling Names Wrong

Decorating By melissablack Updated 19 Jul 2005 , 9:40pm by osci03

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 10

I just realized on my last cake order, that I spelled their last name wrong on the cake icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif I had misplaced my book where I write down all my orders, searched my house from top to bottom, figured one of the kids must have got a hold of it or something, so I figured I could just remember what to write. The next week I finally found my book, and realized I had misspelled their last name! I felt absolutely terrible 'cause I had her spell everything out for me on the phone, and I am so careful about that normally. I wrote -elle instead of -el, for the end of their last name. Has anyone ever done this?

Melissa

9 replies
delectablecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delectablecakes Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 10

I have never done that (yet), but did the customer say anything to you when you delivered the cake?

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 10

I have done that 2 times. Both were friends of mine...so they did not get mad. I got lucky! icon_razz.gif
traci

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 10

Melissa...don't feel bad. Write it off to being human icon_smile.gif Always makes me feel better.

melissablack Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 10

No, they didn't say anything. She just said it looked beautiful, when she picked it up. The mother of the bride was the one who ordered it, and the bride picked it up, she is a friend of a friend, so maybe she said something to her about it, but they didn't say anything to me. icon_sad.gif

delectablecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delectablecakes Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 10

Well good! The cake was probably so pretty that no one even noticed! And once they tasted it, they realized that it was so good that no one cared!!

melissablack Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by delectablecakes

Well good! The cake was probably so pretty that no one even noticed! And once they tasted it, they realized that it was so good that no one cared!!

Thanks for the kind wordsicon_smile.gif Hopefully that was the case icon_wink.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 10

I've done this before, but I asked the customer twice how she spelled her son's name and I wrote it down the way she spelled it... I had a friend of mine with me when I took the order (it was in person) and she said that's how she remember the lady to have spelled it too. She was really nice about it and said it was ok.. she ordered another cake from me and I wrote the names down and showed them to her the next time lol

I'm sure your cake was fine.. I know how you feel about it though.. we try so hard to do a good job on our cakes, but like lisa said, we're human and we make mistakes... it happens.. I'm sure the beauty and taste of your cake by far made up for any mistake you may have made.. keep up the beautfiul work!!

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 10

I DID THAT ON A BIRTHDAY CAKE ONCE WHEN I WORKED IN THE ICE CREAM STAND. I HAD ONE OF THE KIDS THAT WORKED WITH ME IN THE BACK AND HE WAS JOKING AROUND GOING HAPPY BIRFDAY SAYING IT JUST LIKE THAT AND THAT IS WHAT I WROTE ON THE CAKE. THANK GOODNESS NOBODY ELSE SAW BUT THE KID AND ME. I QUICKLY TOOK THE GEL OFF AND FIXED IT THE RIGHT WAY. THEN THE OWNER CAME IN AND WE WERE LAUGHING ABOUT AND HE WANTED TO KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON. WE TOLD HIM AND HE WAS LIKE ONLY YOU WOULD DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT!

osci03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osci03 Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 10

I did this on a quilt for a person. After that incident, I always make the customer write down the name on a piece of paper and then I keep that paper, just in case there's ever a question.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%