Futurama, Planet Express Ship Help

Decorating By Leahbell Updated 2 Sep 2007 , 6:14am by Leahbell

Leahbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahbell Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone! My boyfriend loves the cartoon Futurama. His birthday is at the beginning of October. I found figurines of the characters, so I want to try to make the Planet Express Ship as the cake. I want to do a 3-D cake, but the only ones I've ever done are the stand up bears. I have no clue as to how to get the shape of the ship, or how to make it stand. The cake will only need to feed about 10 people. If anyone can help, that would be great!

Thanks for looking,
Leah
LL

10 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:51am
post #2 of 11

I fell in love with Futurama when it first aired and have watched the re-runs over and over and never tire.. icon_rolleyes.gif I can't wait to see the films that are coming out.

I can't wait to see what you come up with. I hope you post a pic.

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 5:22am
post #3 of 11

The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture was the pillow cake. You could carve a round cake and cover it in fondant and make gumpaste peices to attatch. Just a thought...good luck!

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 11

How about using the foot ball pan? the ships looks like a football... and then you can make the wings and other details of the ship with pastillage or gumpaste. thumbs_up.gif

Leahbell Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I think I found a better picture. I want the cake to be 3-D and standing like it is in the picture. I don't know if it is possible to do with my limited ability. If anyone has any other ideas, send them my way! Thanks!
LL

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 11

What if you used 4 or more 6" rounds, lay them side by side, not one on top of the other, cut the tops and bottoms so you still have the rounded shape for the body, but flat on the bottom so it could sit and not fall over, then rice krispies or something for the wings and nose.

milocat15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milocat15 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 11

I think that Wilton has a easter egg shaped 3-d cake mold. If you added some shaped it a little, added fondant and royal icing extras, I'm sure it'd look great! Good luck!
http://www.partycakesnthings.com/proddetail.php?prod=21054793&PHPSESSID=89833b23757011a28d0cc79a0

Leahbell Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks guys for the ideas!

milocat, I never thought about the 3-D egg pan! That seems to be the best way to go for me. I hope I can get it looking something like the cartoon.

Thanks again everyone!

milocat15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milocat15 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 3:55am
post #9 of 11

Glad I could help! I'm sure it'll turn out great!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 4:18am
post #10 of 11

Hi Leahbell.

I have actually done something very similar. I did a Thunderbird 2 cake from the 1960's (?) TV series, a bit of a cult hit in Britain. I had a request from the parents of a little birthday boy who is obsessed by the show and the space ships. They gave me his spaceship toy to replicate, which was obviously very helpful in getting the detail right. His face when he saw his cake, complete with sparklers in the funnels at the back, was absolutely priceless.

Unfortunately since changing my computer to a Mac I don't know how to upload my pictures, so I have not yet put those pictures in my gallery.

I made my shape from 2 9x13 cakes, stacked and carved where needed. I also wanted the cake to stand on legs, but did not have the equipment required to make an elevated stable cakeboard, so I abandoned that plan in the end. Instead the spaceship was sitting on the ground, but I carved under the bottom edge to give the rounded shape, much like a pillow cake would be shaped. My cake had a spoiler and wings which I made from gumpaste. The basic shape of what I did is quite similar to a space shuttle come to think of it. If I figure out how to upload the picture I will post it as soon as I can, or PM me your e-mail address and I will send it to you that way. Good luck with your cake, it sounds cool. I am a Futurama fan too.

Leahbell Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 6:14am
post #11 of 11

BakingGirl, thanks for the reply! I would love to see your cake! I checked the gallery here, but didn't find anything similar. I have a month to plan and practice this cake. I will probably do the trial and error thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%