How Many Of You All Wait Till Last Minute To Complete

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 31 Aug 2007 , 2:40am by Doug

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 11:03am
post #1 of 23

your cakes??? I have this incredibly BAD habit of not getting into gear till the last minute....I just don't have the drive till I know I HAVE to get it done! Why is this? Is it the rush I get I wonder? Anyways I have this banjo cake that has to be done by Friday....all fondant and ri and all different mediums but all I have done so far is the cakes baked and in the freezer !!!! Today I will start on the fondant ...I think icon_rolleyes.gif .... anybody else have this "syndrome"? LOL

Christi

22 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 11:19am
post #2 of 23

i think we fool ourselves into thinking we have enough time. icon_confused.gif i use to do that, now i plan accordingly...i hate rushing!!

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 11:39am
post #3 of 23

Oh, oh. Waiting till the last minute leads to cake disasters, confusion and problems with not enough time to fix it! Just think about what you're gonna do should something go wrong...that should light a fire under you.

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 11:41am
post #4 of 23

I never do anything in advance, really I only bake 3 days earlier than I need it. I make my icing the day I need it and I buy my fondant and color it the day I need it and If I need a really strong color IE black or red I buy it. I give my self plenty of time to decorate sometimes 2 days if necessary but I dont do anything in advance..I just dont have the room to "store" the stuff until I need it.

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 11:41am
post #5 of 23

I'm with wgoat5. I tend to lack all motivation until the last minute. But surprisingly, the two cakes I actually paced myself and were way ahead, were the two that became disasters icon_confused.gif .. hmmm... icon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 11:47am
post #6 of 23

I know I need to start...I baked my cakes yesterday and my game plan was to make my fondant yesterday to and color it icon_sad.gif well guess what I didn't....now today I have to make the fondant color it..make my gp decorations cut out my templates and make my icing icon_sad.gif....ya think it's possible that I have a "dont wanna get my @$$ into gear disease" ? LMAO I haven't had a complete disaster YET...but I am waiting and maybe ONE will change my attitude...I guess I work better under a little pressure....Just to give you all a little of how my brain works here is an example...When I go to the supply store I rush to get there because I think there will be a ton of people buying up all I need!!! Now what is that??? LOL sounds like a disease to me...!!!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 11:57am
post #7 of 23

I used to start way ahead of time. But gradually I am starting to put it off more and more. Like you said I just dont have the drive until near the end! I think I am getting a little over confident sometimes. I wouldnt say I normally wait until the last minute...but I have at times.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 23

I am the QUEEN of procrastination. It is soooooo bad that I usually pull an all-nighter whenever I have a cake. But, I do work best under pressure...maybe the adreneline or something.......
My problem is that if I do something ahead of time, I will find 30 ways to make it better.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 23

I have a cake that is due this evening and do you think I've even started it yet? HERE'S A BIG FAT NO!!!!!!!! I'm sitting on the couch drinking coffee and playing on the computer instead. If I start too early, there's too much time for me to notice every flaw or what could have been done differently. Lucky for me it's just a little cake that I can do whatever I want to it. Yep it's a syndrome. It's called procrastination.

wgoat5 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 23

Well Im glad you all caught it too! LOL

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 23

The real question here is....how many people don't wait! lol

I think it's because we all think things won't take as much time as they end up taking. I'm always wrong dunce.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 23

I do this every single time I make a cake and end up a stressed out clock-watching basket case.....and every time I do it, I swear I will be more organized the next time. icon_lol.gif (never happens!)

I sometimes wonder what the heck is wrong with me? How hard is it to pre-bake and wrap the cake? Make a batch of icing the day before? Prep the bags with tips? Wrap my boards in advance?..............dUH! icon_rolleyes.gif

wgoat5 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 23

Well my cake is due on Friday (no big deal right?) Well my plan was to make my fondant last night...didnt happen ! Made it today....planned on making my GP embelishments today and spraying them with lustre dust....Im no where near the kitchen anymore...I am going to prep my board in a little while and take the cakes out of the freezer (made them yesterday morning) so they will be ready to be carved tomorrow morning...But I'll probably make icing tomorrow and then cover and haul butt to get everything done by Friday morning icon_sad.gif . I to look at the clock...stay up all night then the next day I complain! Yep Im a complainer...."Oh I had to stay up ALL night on that darn cake" <--- Yeah well DUMMY if ya did it like ya planned to you wouldn't have!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:52pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I do this every single time I make a cake and end up a stressed out clock-watching basket case.....and every time I do it, I swear I will be more organized the next time. icon_lol.gif (never happens!)

I sometimes wonder what the heck is wrong with me? How hard is it to pre-bake and wrap the cake? Make a batch of icing the day before? Prep the bags with tips? Wrap my boards in advance?..............dUH! icon_rolleyes.gif

You are so funny! icon_lol.gif

I used to do this all the time, but I learned the hard way. I still work full time, and I can't stay up all night working on a cake and then be at work at 7:00. I used to do this because I was one of those at never wanted to freeze cake. I had no choice in June but to freeze cakes and no one could tell the diff. So I started baking on the weekend, making all my fondant, icing etc. But I still wait till the last minute to put the cakes together.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 1:57pm
post #15 of 23

OMG I am horrible about procrastinating!!! I especially put off making gumpaste or fondant pieces that need to be made ahead of time. I tell myself "Oh, that's ok...I'll just stick the pieces in the food dehydrator". For my big 3D sailboat cake I didn't make the sails till the night before and of course they weren't quite dry...but I just used them anyway LOL!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Courtney

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:05pm
post #16 of 23

I'm like Adven68, I usually end up pulling an all-nighter too! But I'm really just getting into paid orders for September, so I'm hoping that the fact that someone is paying for these items will get me into gear quicker. Additionally, I have my first wedding cake next month also. I work full time so I cannot procrastinate on t his one at all!!! At least the wedding's not until Sunday!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:06pm
post #17 of 23

I don't know why but I'm such a procrastinator too! I think sometimes I work better under pressure too but oh my it can be a killer at times. It may also be that I don't have much storage or work space either.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:16pm
post #18 of 23

Funny thing is that with EVERYTHING else, I procastinate to the very last minute, but on cake I'm the complete opposite! I hate doing a cake at the last minute. Mainly, I know that if I do it the night before I have the kitchen completely to myself and take my sweet, calming time. PLus, I'm more of a night owl, so I would rather work late into the night than get up earlier in the morning icon_smile.gif

Toniprev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toniprev Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:23pm
post #19 of 23

I just wanted to add, that this website surely DOES NOT help my procrastination. The house is a mess, ironing to be done... i have left the children watching cartoons... all so I can sit on CC for hours!!! Am I ill???? I find with cakes, once i start... I just keep working until they are finished... so if my family need lunch, dinner... children need a bath...etc... well all gets ignored while I am doing my cake. Lucky for them I don't do them too often..... although I have promised to take this time to practice new techniques... just haven't started yet... icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 1:28am
post #20 of 23

DH says I work best under pressure! icon_wink.gif

Jenni2383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni2383 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 1:45am
post #21 of 23

I procrastinate with everything but cakes, as well. I guess since I'm new I want to allow plenty of time for mess ups! Except yesterday, my good friend calls me at 3:30pm and asks for a cake, she needs to pick up that night! Of course I couldn't say no, and I have a cupcake order for tomorrow that I was going to bake anyway. Might as well while I have the mess out!!

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 2:17am
post #22 of 23

OMG! I just want to THANK YOU 4 THIS THREAD! icon_biggrin.gif

OK! I'm gonna REPENT>>>> icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
My name is LAST MINUTE Donna . I am the WORST! Hi Donna!

I only get motivated a few days b 4 the project is due.

I tend to do a lot of research- icon_twisted.gif to me there is nothing like asking questions and really educating myself about a new process or approach (which is my next favorite to decorating).

another problem 4 me is that I do notes/ drawings- TOO MUCH! when the time comes 2 decorate- I am either midway or far from "the plans"- way way off- way way off YIKES!
To me THIS IS FUN! I never know where my mood will take me- SWEET!

I am the QUEEN of ALL NIGHTERS and I just LOVE IT!icon_redface.giftapedshut.gif

I don't think I'm "disorganized person" but, I always seem 2 function much better under pressure! yes! sometimes it's crazy! but thats what I thrive on that darn RUSH!
icon_redface.gif

Thanx 4 listening icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif
please pass me a cake ball & coffee icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 2:40am
post #23 of 23

If it weren't for the last minute.....

I'd NEVER get anything done!

(oh, ya, I've got a wedding cake to do for Sun. -- well at least the satin ice came in today! -- so there, I've started!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%