Luster Dust Paint Question

Decorating By JDent28 Updated 10 Oct 2007 , 11:53pm by cakegirl68

JDent28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JDent28 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:25am
post #1 of 11

Can anyone tell me how to do shiny, gold scrollwork on a cake? I've painted w/ luster dust "paint" so I'm a bit familiar, but is there a way to mix the luster dust w/ icing so that it can be piped directly on the cake, or do I have to pipe my scrollwork first in white, wait for it to dry, and then paint over it w/ a mixture of luster dust & clear alcohol? Some of the cakes I've seen on cc depict beautiful metallic scrollwork that seems impossible to have been painted on so perfectly. I'm stumped...HELP!

10 replies
tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:11am
post #2 of 11

I've never mixed the dust with icing, and I don't think that would work. I have, however, painted something so that it looked super covered and thick -- in my photos the cinderella carriage lamp looked like pewter becasue of this.

I think you do a mix of dry and wet painting and making sure that the consistency of the wet it thick.

HTH -- S.

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:20am
post #3 of 11

I know that mixing the luster dust into the icing doesn't work. Have tried and it does not produce the effect you are looking for. If you are speaking of the pics by Thanh Thanh, I wish she would share as well. Her scroll work is absolutely gorgeous and the shine makes it just that much more special. If you find out please let me know as well. Very curious and anxious to get the same effect.

jarjam1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jarjam1026 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:30am
post #4 of 11

same here. tia

ThanhThanh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThanhThanh Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 11

I mix icing with gold gel color and little bit chocolate, then piped scrollwork dierctly on the cake, wait for it do dry, then paint/light touch by the brush over it with Gold Pearl Dust. OR use Air brush machince spray Super pearl dust over the cake
LL

JDent28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JDent28 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 11

Thanh Thanh,

Thanks for your help. Your cakes are beautiful!

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:51am
post #7 of 11

Sorry for my ingorance here Thanh Thanh. I am not following exactly what your method is here ont he luster dust. Do you just dry brush it on the scroll work and it sticks there bc of the gel in the icing? Thannks in advance. I have tried this a couple of ways and havent had any luck so any help from your expertise would be great.

ThanhThanh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThanhThanh Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 11

I mixed Gold Dust with some drop Vodka, then brush it on the scroll work (buttercream icing)

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:29pm
post #9 of 11

I have mixed luster dust with RI and it worked fine. It's on my black wedding cake. I added a little bit of vodka with the mixture to make sure it worked.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 11

I've seen some of those cakes with the gold. I wondered how they got the gold scroll work to looks so good. Thanks ThanhThanh for your help.

cakegirl68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl68 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:53pm
post #11 of 11

go to www.globalsugarart.com. they have luster dust in spray, is great!!!!! it works so good try and you'll see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%