Royal Icing Question

Decorating By Sunshine93 Updated 29 Aug 2007 , 3:47pm by SugarMoonCakeCo

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:27am
post #1 of 12

If I put royal icing flowers around the bottom of a buttercream cake..can I put the cake in the fridge? The royal icing won't get all funky on me will it?

Thanks!

11 replies
krazeekaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazeekaker Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:32am
post #2 of 12

it shouldn't. i've heard of people making royal flowers and storing them in the freezer for future use so i would think that if they're ok in the freezer they'd be ok in the fridge.

kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:34am
post #3 of 12

Just make sure they're dry - any fat will make royal icing break (i.e., turn to goo) in a heartbeat

meriscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriscakes Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:35am
post #4 of 12

I would be very wary of doing this. I placed a royal icing decoration with just the tip touching the buttercream and it collapsed in no time. Make sure that the roses don't touch any buttercream because the smallest amount of fat will break it down. Perhaps you can place the roses around the cake an hour or so before the event?

meriscakes Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:36am
post #5 of 12

I would be very wary of doing this. I placed a royal icing decoration with just the tip touching the buttercream and it collapsed in no time. Make sure that the roses don't touch any buttercream because the smallest amount of fat will break it down. Perhaps you can place the roses around the cake an hour or so before the event?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:38am
post #6 of 12

While the buttercream may soften the flowers it really shouldn't make them melt.

I would be careful putting them in the fridge. Moisture is an enemy to Royal icing, so if you have a really humid fridge or condensation forms on the flowers when they come out, it could cause problems with them.

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:48am
post #7 of 12

so what about putting RI snowflakes on a buttercream cake? i've seen it on here a million times...will they "melt"?! i hope not, this was the plan for a december wedding cake i have...

if so, what's the lead time on putting RI decor on a buttercream cake? 1 hour...5 hours...?

what about that wilton snowflake cake with the snowflakes in the buttercream standing on the top edges of the rounds? you know the one with the "popsicle" snowflakes sticking out the top...

eeek icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:02am
post #8 of 12

It is so stressed in the making it process that you should not get grease in it, which is true, that that carries over to everything else.

After the icing is made, it shouldn't 'melt' when it comes in contact with grease or buttercream. Why would we do these kinds of decorations if it couldn't ever touch buttercream? I've picked royal on top of crisco and had it dry just fine.

While the moisture in your buttercream can and probably will soften (over time) the royal icing, it shouldn't 'melt'.

kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:18am
post #9 of 12

Hopefully I didn't create any stress. Of course you can put the RI decos on BC - I don't think I said what I meant very well. We've had problems doing this when the BC is not dry - my previous statement in this post wasn't clear and I apologize if it caused any concern.

meriscakes Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 12

And I should clarify that I use swiss meringue buttercream so there's no crusting involved...just lots and lots of butter icon_biggrin.gif

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by meriscakes

And I should clarify that I use swiss meringue buttercream so there's no crusting involved...just lots and lots of butter icon_biggrin.gif

That would be why the RI melted - more fat to break down the RI decorations.

I do what you're describing *all the time*. The only time I've ever had my RI flowers (drop flowers) melt back into the BC was when I put them on cupcakes in 90 degree weather, and left them out overnight (b-day party was next day, no A/C). The RI flowers looked like BC flowers by the party. But that was about it.

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:47pm
post #12 of 12

does this sum it up?

if the BC is crusted well - then the RI is good to go

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%